So, this grappling hook...

regex

If the grappling hook allows you to attach a ship to an asteroid for the purposes of pushing and such, and an asteroid is treated by the game as a single part "ship", would it stand to reason that a grappling hook is essentially just a modified docking port? Can we expect asteroid bases to be the next "space-station" art form to crop up in KSP? Sure, you can't hollow it out, but it would make one hell of a station "core".

Maybe I'm just putting two and two together in the wrong way...

Edited by regex

Has it been confirmed that asteroids are just single-part ships? I haven't really been paying attention to all the SXSW stuff.

That's what I've read. We have no details on the grappling hook yet, so I'm just blowing smoke at this point.

Edited by regex

If the grappling arm allows you to attach a ship to an asteroid for the purposes of pushing and such, and an asteroid is treated by the game as a single part "ship", would it stand to reason that a grappling arm is essentially just a modified docking port? Can we expect asteroid bases to be the next "space-station" art form to crop up in KSP? Sure, you can't hollow it out, but it would make one hell of a station "core".

Maybe I'm just putting two and two together in the wrong way...

I think the word "Arm" in the context of grappling asteroids in KSP is purely a community-driven fantasy. It looks like the "grapple" is a part that will allow us to attach to asteroids.

From what I've read, the following facts have been announced:

• Asteroids are < 30 m in length
  • Asteroids are not on rails
  • Asteroids do not have gravity
  • Asteroids can collide with objects

They're basically being described as vessels. I don't know why'd they'd implement them as anything other than vessels or vessel parts.

EDIT: Okay, according to this post, Harv may have referred to the patch as the ARM, which sounds like it stands for "Asteroid Redirection Mission". So grappling arm a la the Canadarm2 would be an obvious assumption when we hear "grappling" and "Arm" in the same sentence.

So it's the devs doing f'ing horrid job of communication. Again.

Edited by LethalDose
found ARM refrence

Maybe someone can find a link to verify this, but I thought I had read or heard from the devs somewhere that the grapple is being designed to grab onto all kinds of things (not just asteroids). Kerbal-snatching, anyone?

I think the word "Arm" in the context of grappling asteroids in KSP is purely a community-driven fantasy.

Nowhere in my post have I treated it as such. Sorry for using the wrong term in the OP and causing you confusion.

Maybe someone can find a link to verify this, but I thought I had read or heard from the devs somewhere that the grapple is being designed to grab onto all kinds of things (not just asteroids). Kerbal-snatching, anyone?

Well, Kerbals are vessels too, IIRC, so I don't think that would be entirely out of the question.

If they are a part, then I hope we can edit them functionally the same way we can all the current parts. Rescaling, change mass, add resources, etc. ;)

Not a part, a vessel. But it should be possible to mod in what you want.

If the "grappling hook" is nothing more than a docking port that can stick to anything I'll be extremely happy.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is exactly what it is and I am right there with you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.