Be able to play offline (Play without internet access.)

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I do not think it is a bug.

Sometimes the internet fails. I go to launch KSP and the Launcher always says "Checking for updates".

There is no way to launch KSP when the Play button is gone. No way to cancel the check either.

I think it will be a good idea if the Launcher update check can be cancelled. And/Or have a Play Offline button.

It is good that we can disable the check for updates to the game. But the Launcher needs an option like that too.

The game is single player as far as I can tell. Should not need internet access in order to launch it.

Please add this feature and Thank You for reading.

Shortened Version: Please add a Play Offline button and/or a Cancel (Update Check) button to the KSP Launcher. Thank You.

Without this feature; I can not play the game without internet access.

You can turn update checking off through the settings screens. If you're going through Steam, there's a different method. I don't know it: not a Steam user. Either way, you won't miss an update. They're announced here. :)

You can turn update checking off through the settings screens. If you're going through Steam, there's a different method. I don't know it: not a Steam user. Either way, you won't miss an update. They're announced here. :)

I am not using the Steam one. But Thank You anyway.

When the internet is out. The Launcher sits there for over a minute and never seems to time out.

The actual internet timeout for attempting TCP connections tends to default to 2 minutes. Back in the day with very slow connections this made more sense. Now it's just silly, but a lot of the same rules are still used deep in the network stack of operating systems.

The launcher isn't perfect, but thankfully KSP is DRM free, even the Steam version :)

The answers already been posted so I wont reiterate, but yeah the launcher really should check for a connection then give up and start KSP anyway, so it is a bug of sorts :)

There's a launcher?

What exactly does it do?

Run launcher.exe instead of ksp.exe to find out :)

The only real reason I run it is because you can set the resolution, fullscreen, and "fake fullscreen" before launching the game. For that last one, it's the only way I know to get it to happen Makes recording youtube videos easier because "fake fullscreen" doesn't explode your entire neighborhood when you alt-tab away from the game.

Run launcher.exe instead of ksp.exe to find out

Well, that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

The only real reason I run it is because you can set the resolution, fullscreen, and "fake fullscreen" before launching the game. For that last one, it's the only way I know to get it to happen Makes recording youtube videos easier because "fake fullscreen" doesn't explode your entire neighborhood when you alt-tab away from the game.

I don't change my settings that often, so I'm not sure what value that would be to me.

Using the following shortcut works to get the "fake fullscreen":

"F:\KSP\KSP .23\KSP.exe" -popupwindow

Well, that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

I don't change my settings that often, so I'm not sure what value that would be to me.

Using the following shortcut works to get the "fake fullscreen":

"F:\KSP\KSP .23\KSP.exe" -popupwindow

Before I learned about the launcher, I tried that. It did not work. I then learned about the launcher and never went back and tried.

Though, it may be that I had left "fullscreen" on in the game. I learned later (thanks to the launcher) that those two settings don't like each other and actual fullscreen supercedes fake fullscreen.

Though I do change the settings quite often. When recording I play fullscreen (obviously) but when not recording I frequently play in a window so I can see if someone messages me.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi @HappyHominid. And welcome. 

I do it by logging on to the store and downloading the whole game again, exactly as if I just bought it. 

I also keep the 'old' version for a while at least as a back up.  If you do this don't forget to re do your shortcuts.  You can also copy your saves over from your old versions so no progress is lost. 

On 3/12/2014 at 5:20 PM, StealthLava said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I do not think it is a bug.

Sometimes the internet fails. I go to launch KSP and the Launcher always says "Checking for updates".

There is no way to launch KSP when the Play button is gone. No way to cancel the check either.

I think it will be a good idea if the Launcher update check can be cancelled. And/Or have a Play Offline button.

It is good that we can disable the check for updates to the game. But the Launcher needs an option like that too.

The game is single player as far as I can tell. Should not need internet access in order to launch it.

Please add this feature and Thank You for reading.

Shortened Version: Please add a Play Offline button and/or a Cancel (Update Check) button to the KSP Launcher. Thank You.

Without this feature; I can not play the game without internet access.

You can access it from the launcher if you have no Internet, it just requires some precise clicking. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.