Exciting new large aircraft project underway

Guest Space Cowboy

Guest Space Cowboy

I will try to keep the noise down on this one. This design is a continuation of a design arc, you might say, that has been something I have been interested in for awhile. Anyway, this design is somewhat of a convergence of a few ideas I have been working on. The biggest and newest item is a sort of composite engine that uses 4 turbojets and numerous intakes places radially in a sort of way that makes it possibly look like a new large engine. Full thrust is available to 20000 and flameout occurs around 31000, I had recently tried two of these engines on this big airplane and it flew well, but carrying and accelerating payload to near orbit was not feasible. I upped it to 4 engines, and the whole thing was too heavy for the wing. Framerates were terrible as well. I knew to move foreward I had to try a tri-jet. I stripped my airframe down to fuselage and wings, and then added a t-tail, which I had prototyped today. The engines were place dead on the vertical COM. It flew well the first time. The only changes immediately necessary were additional struts to the tailplane, and increasing the ailerons from one large to 4 small per side, and adding a top spine.

http://youtu.be/qGvEgXjB_X8

screenshot822_zps1eb9b378.png

screenshot823_zps30bc3efd.png

screenshot824_zps16846382.png

Still in powered flight

screenshot825_zps0e9ca71f.png

1500m/s near flameout

screenshot826_zps2884b126.png

Zoom climb

screenshot837_zps2714ac8f.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.