I need some Rover Help

I always have a problem with my rovers, to the point were I dont try to build them any longer. The ones I have sent to the Mun and Minmus never drive correctly. It will either move without commands, steer only one direction or get some weird torque where it wants to twist instead of turn.

After watching Scott Manly videos and reading Brotoro's mission reports I really want to build a nice rover.

The wiki is lacking on a rover building section and I was wandering if one of you can point me to a nice guide to rover building.

Thanks

Tuck

If you've got a command pod or reaction wheel on there, it might try to turn the rover. Try disabling the torque (right click the component in question), or changing the rover driving controls so they don't overlap with the spaceship controls.

As far as design goes, try to build the rover so that it is wider than it is tall (or that the CoM is lower than the centerline of the rover). Put wheels on using symmetry and right angles only (other angles will camber your wheels in or out). This should help it to drive straight. Make sure you test your rover on Kerbin first (drive down the launch pad ramp and try it out on the grassy areas below). This can help you find problems before you get the rover to its destination.

Expect control issues on low G bodies, like Minmus. For these, try to use care when driving and especially turning and braking.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.