I Made Mun Orbit!

yoshi0520

Hello

I bought the steam version of KSP on Sunday, and have been having a blast. I have been playing strictly career mode as I want the sense of achievement when I unlock all the parts.

The past couple days I have been trying to get to the Mun and back, hopefully a lander mission. 1 attempt of 5 made into Munar orbit, but upon return I ran out of fuel and doomed Jeb to circle at an average orbit of 3000000km.

Thanks to this thread and others that I've been reading on my lunch hours I managed a few dozen orbits and a safe return this evening:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53159-Science-leads-to-wonderful-things?p=707046&viewfull=1#post707046

I love this game. I'm returning to school for engineering soon, so it's helping me get back into the "problem solving" frame of mind.

q74s.png

Congratulations yoshi0520. Getting to Mun orbit is no small thing. After all, Apollo orbited before landing there. :D It's one of the more scenic worlds in the game, too. Just watching the surface flow by while you orbit can be quite engrossing.

Nice job! The first time I tried to get into Munar orbit, I ran out of fuel and used infinite fuel (lol), and gave up on the entire concept of a Mun landing and made a space station. (I had done ~30 failed launches before that. I eventually landed though, with an entirely different launch vehicle..)

Minmus was reachable by less researched stock parts in career mode so getting there takes longer and setting the node is complicated due to the haptic of the node interface in combination with the necessary zoom level. Is there a key to alter the starting time of the node instead of dragging by mouseclick?

I had to be very careful with the delta-v reserve, though - if some maneuver goes not as planned one might end up in a permanent orbit.

Minmus was reachable by less researched stock parts in career mode so getting there takes longer and setting the node is complicated due to the haptic of the node interface in combination with the necessary zoom level. Is there a key to alter the starting time of the node instead of dragging by mouseclick?

I had to be very careful with the delta-v reserve, though - if some maneuver goes not as planned one might end up in a permanent orbit.

You can with mechjeb, but in stock you can only do it with the mouse.

To get to Minmus, do it in steps. First, match orbit. Select Minmus as target, put a manouver node on the accending/decending node (whichever is closest), and reduce that number to 0 (or close to 0).

Now, all you need to do is burn prograde and you'll get to Minmus.

For all confusion, I'd suggest checking youtube tuturials. Scott Manely has recently made some very good tuturials explaining everything you need, in small bite sized chuncks

Introducing the Intrepid Class Rockets.

screenshot1_zps46217109.png

It had to go through a few modifications before the end result was as desired (fuel capacity, adding chutes forgotten on the first run, radial engines) But in the end; Intrepid VI placed a mobile lab with two kerbals on the near side of the Mun; Intrepid VII, piloted by Jeb, successfully rescued those two kerbals; and Intrepid IIX made two scientific trips for rock samples.

The Intrepid class launch system has been the base of my rockets for the past few days, as I strive to unlock better and badder rocket parts.

screenshot32_zps5b153a57.png

screenshot47_zpsf579a64f.png

An unexpected fireworks show upon decoupling the final set of radially mounted fuel tanks. On the first couple launches (I II III) It blew apart the bottom part of my rocket 50% of the time, until I added another decoupling system and a Rockomax Skipper to the end of the first stage. A quick deceleration, decouple, and throttle up helped prevent and more surprises.

screenshot25_zpsec794cdf.png

screenshot13_zps75b02b29.png

A few more missions to the Mun tonight and I think I'll have enough science points to build something really badass.

Oh yes...

In mine eyes... Kerbals are expendable.

Every single one but Jeb.

Edited by yoshi0520

Excellent job! Now you brought back fond memories of my First Time around the Mun.

I think one of the more "fun" things to do is to see how low you can orbit without lithobraking - doing several km/s 1000 meters up is pretty cool.

Congratulations and great job! Also only two tries to make a successful landing is not bad. (it's much better than my first tries and the same probably goes for most people here)

You have these two rings of radial engines on your ship; would there be a way to use fuel lines to have the upper ring use the fuel from the lower stage so you only need this upper ring?

Update:

Made three Manned Minimus landing this evening with successful returns. It seems easier to do this mission than it is the Mun... once you get the angle figured out.

^^ Did two of these simultaneously, was fun switching between the two missions.

Working on a deep space probe now. But still relying on my Intrepid launch base to get most stuff up up and away.

3 Manned Missions at once!

screenshot15_zps8e9838b4.png

screenshot13_zps5f1605d6.png

Edited by yoshi0520