[0.23.5] Goodspeed Aerospace Parts v2014.4.1B

Gaius

LATEST UPDATE: 2014-04-01B

If you downloaded 2014.4.1 earlier today (April 1st), be sure to download 2014.4.1B, which fixes compatibility with the ARM update (KSP 0.23.5) due to some texture renaming.

Download from CurseForge

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This pack is an assortment of vaguely stock-alike parts, many tweakable, most requiring no additional texture memory (they mostly have unique models, but reuse stock part textures to save memory and achieve a stock-alike look). I've been adding my own parts to the game for about a year, filling in holes I thought needed to be filled but either weren't filled by other mods, or the other mods weren't stock-like, or required more memory than I wanted to use. The parts to be found in this pack are:

• Seven command pods. When I started playing KSP, there were no 1.25m and 2.5m probe cores, so I made some. Later, some were added, but the torque was too small to be useful for rockets of that size, so I kept using mine. Then they added reaction wheels, so in theory you could add a stock core and a reaction wheel, but I kept using mine anyhow because I'd grown attached to them. I also added a large space station hub and a tiny radial attached probe core. For self-assembling space stations, I created a docking port welded with control parts to minimize part counts, and finally I adopted a rescue dog, err, part that had been dropped from a previous version of KSP. Added 2014-04-01: the DSC-1 Deep Space Capsule, a spherical command pod holding up to three kerbals, but usable unmanned too.
  • Seven fuel tanks. I wanted some spherical tanks, and in multiple sizes, but I didn't want to clutter up my VAB parts menu with a big list of tanks in different sizes, so I developed tanks that only take one icon on the VAB parts list, but can be placed and then five different sizes chosen from (depends on the included GoodspeedTweakScale plugin). Available in gold and orange. Also, nose caps that contain fuel and also double as size adapters, vaguely Soyuzish side tanks, and a couple of useful welded multitank parts. Added 2014-04-01: A large orange "pill-shaped" tank.
  • A bipropellant RCS block. In real life, not all RCS uses monopropellant, so I wanted a bipropellant option. This part is another rescue part, adopted from an older version of KSP and repurposed.
  • Three hexagonal truss pieces for constructing deep space craft.
  • Two radial decouplers. Both allow side-mounting stuff, neither leaves behind residue on the central tank, one uses a swept pylon design because it looks cool.
  • Two radial attachment points. These are just resizes on the stock 1.25m part, one for 625mm parts, and one even smaller, meant to be used the way you currently abuse cubic octagonal struts without requiring as much space.
  • A nosecone designed to fit the stock large SRB and actually look good.
  • Four power generators. A PB-NUK supplies a lot more power than I really need most of the time, so I made the ZAP-01 RTG, a radial RTG that only weighs 10kg (as opposed to the PB-NUK's 80kg), but is less efficient (only 4.8/min). On the other hand, when dealing with things like electric engines, an RTG simply cannot deliver enough power, for that you use actual nuclear reactors, like the SAFE-400, so I made three actual nuclear reactors, delivering 100kW, 200kW, or 400kW of power.
  • A larger Xenon tank, for using with those electric engines. Eventually I made it resizable like the tanks above, so it's both larger and smaller, depending on your needs.
  • Docking ports with lights! Actually, these are just standard docking ports with standard lights welded on. Since I do this with every docking port on my stations, and my stations usually have ridiculous numbers of docking ports, this really helps reduce my part counts. But these parts in particular are next on my list of things to replace with custom models.
  • Test weights! I like to test and rate my subassemblies, so I can just look at the weight of my payload and select the appropriate lifter, so I wanted some nice test weights, but existing packs added too many parts. With the addition of tweakables to the game, we can do better. This pack has three weights, one for tenths of a ton, one for tons, and one for tens of tons. Just grab the appropriate magnitude weight and adjust the slider.
  • Rocket parts tank and warehouse. I used to use these with the Orbital Construction mod, since it came with parts that were visually identical to stock parts (and had absurd stats). I've since switched to Extraplanetary Launchpads, but I keep using these parts as I like them better than what EPL comes with. (Although with Baha making parts for EPL now...)
  • Radial science storage container.
  • Orbital ore detector. The third and last of my "rescue parts", this was an antenna in a previous version of KSP, which I repurposed to have a usable ore detector (same stats as the larger kethane detector).

Made available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license. Source code for the GoodspeedTweakScale plugin is in the Plugins folder.

Edited by Gaius
Updating download link from Spaceport to CurseForge

Very nice! I especially like the advanced Sr docking port and the Sr-sized 6-way core, as well as the selectable size feature of the fuel tanks. Now just need to see if this'll fit on my RAM!

Although ModuleManager is not required for this mod, you can do some fun things if you use it...

f5MuepS.png

Here's some configs to add the GoodspeedTweakScale module to some stock tanks (and the large adapter):

@PART[fuelTank] // FL-T400 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedTweakScale
defaultScale = 1
}
}

@PART[fuelTank_long] // FL-T800 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
}
}

@PART[fuelTankSmall] // FL-T200 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
}
}

@PART[fuelTankSmallFlat] // FL-T100 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
}
}

@PART[fuelTank1-2] // Rockomax X200-32 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[fuelTank2-2] // Rockomax X200-16 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[fuelTank3-2] // Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[fuelTank4-2] // Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[RCSFuelTank] // FL-R25 RCS Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
}
}

@PART[RCSTank1-2] // FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[largeAdapter] // Rockomax Brand Adapter
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

Note: GoodspeedTweakScale only works for parts with node_stack_top and/or node_stack_bottom, and will fail to move any other nodes.

Thanks Gaius, I love your stuff and hope to see updates if you make other cool things. I've got module manager for your Fuel Pump mod, but I have not ventured deep enough to start modifying configs on my own just yet.

I dived into playing with creating cfg files. It really wasn't that bad. I can now re-size most of my tanks, thanks! Now I just need to develop a better habit of not changing the size Scale when I intended to change the pump level.

can u make a structal tress part that the orange tanks can be fitted into? making them siliar to how the old thss fuel tresses looked iwth a bladder on in side of it but make them able to eject just the tank out one side would be awsome

Note: GoodspeedTweakScale only works for parts with node_stack_top and/or node_stack_bottom, and will fail to move any other nodes.

Not true! Or at least, it won't be after the next update. I've fixed this on my version of GoodspeedTweakScale (which I will upload tomorrow after I get some sleep) so that it will now move any and all nodes. I've also added an option to rescale the radius of tanks while leaving the height alone, allowing you to make things that scale fatter/thinner rather than just bigger/smaller. Tested once, appears to work, but must sleep before testing further and making sure there are no really evil bugs lurking...

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Are you going to add new parts once v0.23.5 gets released?

Yes, definitely.

can u make a structal tress part that the orange tanks can be fitted into? making them siliar to how the old thss fuel tresses looked iwth a bladder on in side of it but make them able to eject just the tank out one side would be awsome

I don't know about the ejecting part, but I have been planning on doing some trusses...

Edited by Gaius

This looks great - I haven't tried it out yet, but it seems like it would be super useful in Realism Overhaul where you have to work with a lot of different sizes and diameters, but it would need a base resize for the "default" dimensions (0.5m, 1m, 2m, 3m, etc) - do you think you could include those as presets in the tweak, or include an alternate cfg for RO?

UPDATE! The Spaceport should now be serving the latest version of the pack. Changes include:

• GoodspeedTweakScale will now move all nodes on a part when rescaling, not just top/bottom/surface attach point.
  • GoodspeedTweakScale now accepts an optional parameter, "constantHeight". When set to "True", rescaling the part modifies the radius but leaves the height alone.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the node size balls in the editor to be incorrectly sized if you resized a part more than once. (Was only a cosmetic bug in the current stock game, but some mods consider the size, and future versions of KSP might too.)
  • Minor balance tweak: Bipropellant RCS block is 25% heavier (it was a little OP).
  • Minor tweak: Small nuclear reactor is now 25% heavier, and produces 25% more power, putting it in line with the other two reactors in terms of progression of size/weight/power output.
  • New part! Goodspeed Experiment Storage Device, a radial-mounted science storage container.

2HQvJFK.png

Just the one new part today. There are more in the works, but I wanted to get the GoodspeedTweakScale changes out today, for those who are wanting to resize things with more than just the two or three nodes.

This looks great - I haven't tried it out yet, but it seems like it would be super useful in Realism Overhaul where you have to work with a lot of different sizes and diameters, but it would need a base resize for the "default" dimensions (0.5m, 1m, 2m, 3m, etc) - do you think you could include those as presets in the tweak, or include an alternate cfg for RO?

This should already be possible. The way the plugin works is, you add the GoodspeedTweakScale module to a part, and set the "defaultScale" parameter as desired. Any rescaling of that part will be based on its base size, modified by the tweaked scale, so if the part is 1.25m at a scale of 1, it will be 0.625m at scale 0 and 2.5m at scale 2, but if the part is 1.0m at scale 1, it'll be 0.5m at scale 0 and 2m at scale 2, 3m at scale 3, etc. All the scaling is relative to the base part size, so just make sure the base part is sized correctly, and the scaled versions will match the initial part's scaling scheme.

@PART[fuelTank] // FL-T400 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[fuelTank_long] // FL-T800 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[fuelTankSmall] // FL-T200 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[fuelTankSmallFlat] // FL-T100 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[fuelTank1-2] // Rockomax X200-32 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[fuelTank2-2] // Rockomax X200-16 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[fuelTank3-2] // Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[fuelTank4-2] // Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[RCSFuelTank] // FL-R25 RCS Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[RCSTank1-2] // FL-R1 RCS Fuel Tank
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
constantHeight = True
}
}

@PART[largeAdapter] // Rockomax Brand Adapter
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[adapterLargeSmallBi] // TVR-200L Stack Bi-Adapter
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[adapterLargeSmallTri] // TVR-300L Stack Tri-Adapter
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[adapterLargeSmallQuad] // TVR-400L Stack Quad-Adapter
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
}
}

@PART[stackBiCoupler] // TVR-200 Stack Bi-Coupler
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
}
}

@PART[stackTriCoupler] // TVR-1180C Mk1 Stack Tri-Coupler
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
}
}

@PART[stackQuadCoupler] // TVR-2160C Mk2 Stack Quad-Coupler
{
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1
}
}

Remove the lines that say "constantHeight = True" if you want those tanks to get taller as well as wider when scaling.

Edited by Gaius

Those parts looks good, especially fuel balls :P you've got some at least (easy joke I know :cool:)

But I don't understand what exactly is your TweakScale plugin and how it could be used to do something else, it seems to be a bit under-sold here.

More explanation will be nice, thanks.

The plugin lets me provide certain parts in five different sizes without cluttering up the VAB parts selection screen with the same thing five times over. That's the main purpose, but you can also use it along with ModuleManager to resize stock parts and other things by adding the appropriate module to whichever parts you wish, if that is your desire. The fuel balls use it, along with the nose caps and side tanks, and the upcoming trusses will use it too (which is why I recently extended it to support more nodes than just top/bottom/surface attach).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.