[0.23.5] Goodspeed Aerospace Parts v2014.4.1B

Gaius

APRIL 1st UPDATE! No foolin'... grab it from the Spaceport.

• Added DSC-1 Deep Space Capsule, a command pod with capacity for three kerbals, but capable of operating unmanned.
  • Added three hexagonal truss pieces. These trusses have internal nodes and are designed to hold fuel balls or the new fuel "pill", but you can put whatever you like inside. Because they're designed to have stuff mounted inside, the collider is only on one side (on the left when you first grab a piece in the VAB), so make sure you grab there to move them, or use that side when surface attaching things to them. They also have nodes on the side designed for placing trusses in parallel to one another. If you want to mount them perpendicular, use the TR-S side mount first to create a node that points sideways. Truss pieces can be tweaked for scale.
  • Added new orange fuel "pill", spherical on the ends, cylindrical in the middle. It just happens to fit the new TR6.3 truss perfectly. Balanced to give slightly better wet/dry mass ratio than a cylindrical tank, but not as good as the spherical ones. When mounted in a TR6.3 truss, the combined dry mass/wet ratio matches stock tanks exactly. Spherical tanks offer a bit better mass efficiency, but less space efficiency.
  • Goodspeed Tweak Scale plugin should now correctly move items attached to a piece being rescaled.
  • Fixed a bug where sometimes the mass of rescaled items was not properly updated.

More pics than you actually require:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Gaius

This mod is great, I love the scalable tanks. If I may make a request, I love the orange fuel pill but it would be great if you could make a kethane variant of that tank. I modified the cfg file but the textures don't really fit. And my expertise only goes so far as modifying cfg files.

I have dried to mod the UNSFE-400 Nuclear Reactor (2.5m) down to a UNSFE-50 Nuclear Reactor (1.25m) and the UNSFE-200 Nuclear Reactor (1.25m) up to a UNSFE-800 Nuclear Reactor (2.5m) but the rescale doesn't fit to the wanted diameter and the connection nodes are in mid air. What is the right rescale factor?

Gaius, love the parts, and I think a combo of your re-scale plugin and Firespitter's texture switcher should be stock.

Might even add the slider to my parts and remove the different scaled CFGs.

I do have one suggestion, and that is to provide a DL link to JUST the plugin, encase someone only wants that.

Edited by Galacticruler

This mod is great, I love the scalable tanks. If I may make a request, I love the orange fuel pill but it would be great if you could make a kethane variant of that tank. I modified the cfg file but the textures don't really fit. And my expertise only goes so far as modifying cfg files.

I'll see if I can't come up with something. I'm also planning on monoprop balls. Just a matter of finding the right texture... and the time.

I have dried to mod the UNSFE-400 Nuclear Reactor (2.5m) down to a UNSFE-50 Nuclear Reactor (1.25m) and the UNSFE-200 Nuclear Reactor (1.25m) up to a UNSFE-800 Nuclear Reactor (2.5m) but the rescale doesn't fit to the wanted diameter and the connection nodes are in mid air. What is the right rescale factor?

Do you mean the "rescaleFactor" variable in the config? For parts that use MODEL {...} as mine do, the way rescaleFactor works is horribly broken in the current version of KSP, so really the only right answer to that is "1.0" for now. Instead of changing that, to rescale a part in its config, go into the MODEL {...} section and set the "scale" variable in there. I believe all the reactors use "1.0, 1.0, 1.0" -- set each desired dimension to "0.5" or "2.0" or whatever. Then go to the "node_stack" variables and adjust as necessary.

Gaius, love the parts, and I think a combo of your re-scale plugin and Firespitter's texture switcher should be stock.

Might even add the slider to my parts and remove the different scaled CFGs.

I do have one suggestion, and that is to provide a DL link to JUST the plugin, encase someone only wants that.

I considered that, but I'd have to set up a separate Spaceport entry for it, and I'm fundamentally lazy... :wink: I may do it anyway, though. Originally, it really only worked with my own parts, so I didn't bother, but I've made it sufficiently generic now that it really ought to work with anything, so I'll make a separate download for it next time I update it.

Edited by Gaius

I used Module Manager to apply it to most other parts and it works quite well. I especially like how resources scale appropriately. Does the lift generated by wings scale as well? I could never get pWings to work properly and I often find myself rescaling the B9 wings. I have FAR installed though.

I considered that, but I'd have to set up a separate Spaceport entry for it, and I'm fundamentally lazy... :wink: I may do it anyway, though. Originally, it really only worked with my own parts, so I didn't bother, but I've made it sufficiently generic now that it really ought to work with anything, so I'll make a separate download for it next time I update it.

Good to hear; I feel like the plugin is of great use as a part-clutter-reducer, and if it comes with extra parts tied to it, well... :)

Along those lines, it would be nice if it came with an MMCFG to hide (category = -1) any stock parts that have the scale tweakable from the part list.

That said, I love most of your parts!

would your tweakscale work on other parts too?

im making radial engines, and if possible i would like to do something like your fuel tanks rather than just cluttering up the parts tree with more and more duplicates in larger sizes.

also, i just love this. actually managed to launch a 200k unit fuel depot too...

wqUbVEr.png

Edited by BobsYerUncle

I've noticed that when mounting something to the nodes on the station hub if you use 4x symmetry to the node not to a docking port on the hub then the whole thing starts osselating Tears itself apart

I am using the latest version of KJR if that matters

Struts don't help

I took the liberty of forking your TweakScale plugin:

https://github.com/Biotronic/GoodspeedTweakScale

Added features:

Integration with Modular Fuel Tanks (and, I believe, Real Fuels, as they seem to be using the same plugin)!

Minimum and maximum scales!

Example .cfg:

MODULE

{

name = GoodspeedTweakScale

defaultScale = 2

minScale = 1

maxScale = 2

}

Simple download for those who just want the .dll:

Here

I would happy to see the TweakableScale support engines... so basically it scales the engine's size as well as its thrust (^2 or ^3), but might decrease the Isp a bit (^1) when up-scaling.

Yeah i know it's quite unrealistic to have "procedural engine" by this method, but whatever...

Edited by HoneyFox

Sorry to everyone I didn't reply to recently, been pretty busy for the last couple weeks, but I'll be back to working on this soon. Loving the pics, BTW, and the evil laughter. :D

Minimum and maximum scales!

Aha! Someone was just asking me about supporting that in a PM! I'll let them know the feature is now in the fork. Thanks for that, I was wondering how to go about doing that, and now I know. :)

Can modders redistribute the scale plugin with their own parts?

Absolutely! Just make sure it unpacks to GameData/Goodspeed/Plugins/Scale.dll, so that if multiple mods use it, they just overwrite the same file instead of having a bunch of same plugin distributed all over the place...

Edited by Gaius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.