[0.23.5] Goodspeed Aerospace Parts v2014.4.1B

Gaius

Personally I am against changing the numbering scheme. For my application at least IR parts don't conform to the normal KSP sizes. By default I set the parts to size 2, with size 1 being half, and size 0 being a quarter of that size. If you do add this, there should be an option to turn it off.

You can still have whatever numbers you want if you want to. For your parts, I would argue that 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 would make more sense anyway. In that case, you'd use this configuration:

MODULE
{
name= GoodspeedTweakScale
scaleFactors = 0.25, 0.5, 1.0
defaultScale = 1.0
}

Actually, I would argue in favor of adding 2.0 as well. Now that it doesn't take up more space in the list, adding more sizes has a lower cost (there is still some in terms of cognitive overhead).

I also kinda consider adding 'modes', so that you use this for stack parts:

MODULE
{
name = GoodspeedTweakScale
mode = stack
}

and get 0.625, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5.0 scales, and

MODULE
{
mode = surface
}

for 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0. And lastly,

MODULE
{
mode = free
}

For free scaling between 0.25 and 4.0.

This wouldn't add any 'real' features, only make a convenient shorthand for users for setting scaleFactors.

MODULE
{
name= GoodspeedTweakScale
scaleFactors = 0.25, 0.5, 1.0
defaultScale = 1.0
}

Actually, I would argue in favor of adding 2.0 as well. Now that it doesn't take up more space in the list, adding more sizes has a lower cost (there is still some in terms of cognitive overhead).

I would agree that 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 would be more intuitive for my application, over the current numbering. So your planned change would make the Tweakable values match the scale values, rather than the current numbering?

For me 2.0 goes against the design direction of the parts i'm doing. I'd much rather make specific variants of parts based on the 1.25 scale.

I'm not sure about the mode idea, I mean its only modders who will really use this so they should be able to figure out the specific scalings they want.

The mode idea is a good one, assuming it solves the issue that TweakScale has with surface attach parts by using different logic to scale the part. With TweakScale, scaling a surface attach part only scales the size, but the part will either render far away from it's parent if it was scaled down, or clip through its parent when scaled up. It'd also give control to modders trying to limit, for whatever reason, how a part can be scaled. There may be (many) cases where you don't want players to be able to scale the part freely because it would just confuse things.

I wrote some logic for modes, but for some reason thought type sounded more betterer. Dll here. Default scale types/modes here. Usage:

MODULE
{
type = surface
}

MODULE
{
type = free
maxScale = 2.0
}

And for IR parts:

SCALETYPE
{
name = IR
type = surface
maxScale = 1.0
}

MODULE
{
type = IR
}

As you can see, IR is derived from surface, and will take from there any values not specified in IR. You can create any depth hierarchies like this, but why on earth would you? Also, it's possible to make a scaletype derive from itself. Don't do that.

[edit]Oh, and it's not at all necessary to specify everything in a scaletype, I just did it for clarity.[/edit]

Edited by Biotronic
Clarification

I would agree that 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 would be more intuitive for my application, over the current numbering. So your planned change would make the Tweakable values match the scale values, rather than the current numbering?

That's the idea, yes. It's a bit finicky with scales 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, since the gap between 0.25 and 0.5 is so tiny. What I'd love to have is a list of string values, so the gaps between values would be the same for 0.25->0.5 as for 2.0->4.0. Currently however, that's simply not possible.

For me 2.0 goes against the design direction of the parts i'm doing. I'd much rather make specific variants of parts based on the 1.25 scale.

Makes sense, and I'm actually glad you have a specific vision. I just want to make this thing.

I'm not sure about the mode idea, I mean its only modders who will really use this so they should be able to figure out the specific scalings they want.

This is true. I guess part of it is just me wanting to write code. :P

Yeah, I'm not sure how Gaius feels about that. On the one hand, I feel I should make a separate topic for the plugin, on the other, that feels like I'm stealing the plugin.

Please steal my plugin! :D

Seriously, the plugin has been feature complete for my own purposes for a while now, so having someone else take over the job of maintaining it, keeping in up to date and extending it with new features is doing me a big favor by taking over what for this point would just be work for me, and work I honestly don't have time for at the moment -- this is literally the first time I've had time to even login to the KSP forums in over ten days, and I'm currently both very busy and dealing with personal issues that are probably going to take a few more weeks at minimum before I'll have much time to do any kerbaling.

So, I'm going to change the name of this thread to indicate that from now on, this thread will be all about my parts pack and that alone, and the new TweakScale plugin thread will be started by the new maintainer in the very near future. Future releases of my parts pack will be adjusted to depend on the new version of the plugin just like any other third-party mod would. And it will be simply called the TweakScale plugin, since it wouldn't be fair to keep calling it my TweakScale plugin when I'm no longer the sole author.

I do have some new parts, or at least some new models (replacing a couple of the welded parts currently in the pack with unique models) already done that I just haven't gotten around to rolling into an update yet, but I'm honestly not sure when I'll have time to do that given current events IRL. But in any case, I'll wait until the dust settles on the new thread so I can release the next version of the parts pack in a way that makes it depend on the new fork instead of maintain its own redundant and dated version of the plugin.

And seriously, thanks much for taking over maintenance of the plugin. This is what open source is all about. Throw some code out there, and let some other schmuck do all the work of making it great while you sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labor. :sticktongue:

Edited by Gaius

I noticed something odd about your structural frame piece, specifically the large 6.3 one. Surface attaching parts is hit or miss. It seems that only one side of the frame accepts anything to be surface mounted. Also, the side nodes only accept pieces that are oriented vertically. Trying to attach some stock girders that stick out won't work, they only snap on when in the vertical orientation.

A lot of these parts have no texture.

See my post above. If you're using Texture Replacer (in particular KSPRC which replaces some stock textures) it causes problems. Sometimes it's the Goodspeed parts missing textures, sometimes it's the stock parts missing textures. My install started out as the former, but after updating KSPRC it caused the latter.

Since people may be following TweakScale here, and since Gaius is the original author, I feel I should inform that TweakScale has found a new home:

TweakScale - Rescale Everything!

But I still love these truss parts, and the TweakScale mod thread says it's incompatible! :(

Is this mod going to be updated to work with the new plugin? I hope?

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot find your mod on Curse. The link only goes to the front page rather than the page with your download. I cannot find it with the search function. Sorry If I'm being dense, is it under a different name perhaps?

I cannot find your mod on Curse. The link only goes to the front page rather than the page with your download. I cannot find it with the search function. Sorry If I'm being dense, is it under a different name perhaps?

KSP Spaceport was closed, and mods should be moved to Curse forge. But Gaius didn't do that, so when you try to access any link to the old Spaceport, it will redirect you to Curse forge home page. Gaius should have included a mirror link in the first place. I'll PM him.

Good news! the zip file I have is indeed the latest (uploads_2014_04_GoodspeedAerospaceParts-2014.4.1B) and the license inside is

The Goodspeed Aerospace parts in this pack are made available by the author under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license. See the following web page for details:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

According to the linked page I'm allowed to "copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format" as long as I "give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made" and "not use the material for commercial purposes."

So I'm going to go over to curseforge and upload it, giving full attribution and indicating a lack of changes on my part, as required. I'll report back when it's done.

Edit: well, this is not going well. When I try to create a curse account, every name I try seems to be taken. I'm calling bug. I'll put it in my onedrive, with the required attributions etc in the zip file.

Edit2: Small problem: I've just realized that I can't attribute the file if I don't have the author's name or address. I suspect "a guy calling himself gaius over at the KSP forums" doesn't pass legal muster :P Does anyone have anything more than just his local handle?

Edit3: I finally have a curse account, all I need now is a name or email address for Gaius (or a credible argument that I don't actually need those) so I can comply with the license and I should be able to upload the mod

Edited by OrbitalDebris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.