[0.23.5] Goodspeed Aerospace Parts v2014.4.1B

Gaius

As I mentioned in my post, I first need to make sure I'm following the terms of the license correctly. However, given that Gaius is a registered user here at KSP forums and given this part of the license summary:

Attribution  You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

I think that just "Gaius" is "a reasonable manner" of identifying the author and I can go ahead and upload the zip file. If it's not and I'm asked to take it down, I will.

Is it just me, or does the capacity of the parts not align well with the stock parts? They seem to have two to four times more capacity per volume than stock. I guess I can live with that because the weight will be aligned with stock, but looks strange.

OK, parts pack is now in curseforge at http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/221271-goodspeed-aerospace-parts-v2014-4-1b. Still pending approval, hopefully it should be available for download soon.

Ah, thanks for doing this. I've updated the first post to point to the new download. Sometime before 0.24 gets released, I'll hopefully have time to get an update up on CurseForge myself for a more official release...

Is it just me, or does the capacity of the parts not align well with the stock parts? They seem to have two to four times more capacity per volume than stock. I guess I can live with that because the weight will be aligned with stock, but looks strange.

To the best of my knowledge, the capacity per unit volume of my spherical and pill tanks are within 10% of the stock tanks (except perhaps the xenon tank). I verified the volumes using Wolfram Alpha. It may be you're just unused to looking at spherical volumes. The nosecones might be a bit looser, but certainly not more than 20% off I think. In any case, if you know of anywhere the numbers vary significantly, please be specific and I'll take a closer look at it. Thanks.

Edited by Gaius

To the best of my knowledge, the capacity per unit volume of my spherical and pill tanks are within 10% of the stock tanks (except perhaps the xenon tank). I verified the volumes using Wolfram Alpha. It may be you're just unused to looking at spherical volumes. The nosecones might be a bit looser, but certainly not more than 20% off I think. In any case, if you know of anywhere the numbers vary significantly, please be specific and I'll take a closer look at it. Thanks.

After looking at the parts again, I realize they aren't as far off as I had imagined. I still think there are discrepancies though. For instance the FB-O tank at size 4 holds ~41,000 LiquidFuel and ~50,000 Oxidizer. The stock Jumbo 64 holds 2880 LiquidFuel/ 3520 Oxidizer. That's 14.6 times more fuel in your tank, while physically it doesn't appear to be 14 times larger.

After looking at the parts again, I realize they aren't as far off as I had imagined. I still think there are discrepancies though. For instance the FB-O tank at size 4 holds ~41,000 LiquidFuel and ~50,000 Oxidizer. The stock Jumbo 64 holds 2880 LiquidFuel/ 3520 Oxidizer. That's 14.6 times more fuel in your tank, while physically it doesn't appear to be 14 times larger.

Well, a Jumbo-64 is a cylinder with a radius of 1.25m and a height of 7.5m, so an internal volume of 36.816 m3. An FB-O tank at size 4 is a sphere with a 5m radius, so an internal volume of 523.599 m3. So, yes, a size 4 FB-O tank is 14.222 times larger, and spherical tanks generally more efficiently use their internal volume than cylindrical tanks, which actually round their ends a bit on the inside for structural strength, hence the spherical tank actually gets a bit more than 14.222 times the usable internal volume.

Edited by Gaius
added links to Wolfram Alpha

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not as dumb as my comments made me sound, I'm just fairly new to the game and didn't know how to measure the diameter to work out all the math myself..

One more question, did you used to have different style truss segments in an older update? I first learned of your parts from an image user Rareden made with the pill shaped tanks. He had them inside some three sided trusses. Maybe he modeled them himself to make the image. I'm not sure. Thanks again, and I love the parts you've made!

Nope, those are the only trusses I've had. Perhaps Rareden was using this old mod? Unfortunately, that mod appears to be dead. I might take up the task of making replacements if I can find the time. I too really did love that mod.

Edited by Gaius

Ah, thanks for doing this.

Hey, welcome back! I'm going to look and see if it's possible to add you as an owner of the project on curse, no sense in you having to create a whole new project for your own work.

Edit: OK, it seems to be fairly easy. As far as I can tell, I just need to know your curse account name. PM me and I'll get it sorted out.

Edited by OrbitalDebris

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered that the copy of scale.dll included with this plugin does not work well, and conflicts with the updated scale.dll included in TweakScale. Removing the .dll from this mod corrected the conflict.

• 3 weeks later...
Edit: Part cost does not increase with size scaling.

Currently, there is no support in KSP for changing the cost of single parts, so all rescaled versions of a part will have the same cost. Perhaps in 0.24.5, or I guess someone will make a mod that fixes it.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.