[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

1. Yes (kinda). the Kerbitat MKS module is not crewed (none are), but it's required cap has a one crew capacity. The actual location of your Kerbals could be anywhere in the base.

2. Probably another way of thinking of it is that the Kerbitat has storage tanks for Waste/WasteWater/CO2, which are then consumed by other attached modules to convert them, and the Kerbitat in turn can store resources regardless of where the generation module is.

3. Since all of the MKS bits would have to be linked to operate, once your ship is docked you could just transfer from any Kerbitat, which should all stay at a pretty high net amount due to the closed system - and if you drained one, it would just be the first to fill up again.

So one way to get what you are looking for would be to have your Kerbitats brimming with food/water/oxy on launch (they hold 500 each). Alternatively, if that number is too low, I could always add in a stand-alone high capacity provisions module specifically to handle this kind of excess conversion.

1. Actually, I like your idea even better. Does not require my Kerbals to sit at home and be useless. Smart ;-)

Can't wait to test it, I just hope my other 12 mods don't crash my memory usage.

Will try to fiddle a bit with Minmus, and report back.

Thx for making this mod. Sounds promising

1. Actually, I like your idea even better. Does not require my Kerbals to sit at home and be useless. Smart ;-)

Can't wait to test it, I just hope my other 12 mods don't crash my memory usage.

Will try to fiddle a bit with Minmus, and report back.

Thx for making this mod. Sounds promising

If it's any indication, I run with over 35 mods so you should be ok ;)

If in doubt, try adding a texture reduction mod. I use the BoulderCo one on aggressive.

This is a fantastic mod! I spent some time with it over the weekend and decided to play around with integrating it with Extraplanetary Launchpad. In the assembly array I added another assembler that would create RocketParts for use in EL. The conversion rate needs some tweaking, but it worked. The next goal is to launch a bootstrap to minmus and set up a self-sufficient, self-expanding base.

I also started testing out the refinery (already have an ore and kethane miner sitting on minmus), though the ore -> metal smelting process seemed a bit long.

I noticed the secondary and tertiary factory modules didn't have any outputs (and some were missing inputs), there are missing resource definitions and the output line syntax is invalid in the cfgs.

This is a fantastic mod! I spent some time with it over the weekend and decided to play around with integrating it with Extraplanetary Launchpad. In the assembly array I added another assembler that would create RocketParts for use in EL. The conversion rate needs some tweaking, but it worked. The next goal is to launch a bootstrap to minmus and set up a self-sufficient, self-expanding base.

I also started testing out the refinery (already have an ore and kethane miner sitting on minmus), though the ore -> metal smelting process seemed a bit long.

I noticed the secondary and tertiary factory modules didn't have any outputs (and some were missing inputs), there are missing resource definitions and the output line syntax is invalid in the cfgs.

You can increase the rate by either changing conversion rate or scaling up the ins/outs. I think the length difference between MKS and EL is more that I try to intentionally make stuff slow/hard since you have to feed in life support. That being said, if it seems too slow and there's consensus, these can be tweaked.

And yeah there looks to be a bug in the secondary/tertiary converters - I'll fix those up tonight and post an update

You can increase the rate by either changing conversion rate or scaling up the ins/outs. I think the length difference between MKS and EL is more that I try to intentionally make stuff slow/hard since you have to feed in life support. That being said, if it seems too slow and there's consensus, these can be tweaked.

I would love to see the speed of conversions somehow adjustable. If you have massive amounts of power, you can create resources quickly (albeit less efficiently).

I would love to see the speed of conversions somehow adjustable. If you have massive amounts of power, you can create resources quickly (albeit less efficiently).

There will be an efficiency mod in the next phase, although it's based on crew count and workspace area. So the more Kerbals you have on-site and the more space you have for them to work in, the faster the modules work. So kinda like dropping in a large construction crew for a year, then pulling them back home once it's done and leaving the scientists, etc. behind.

There will be an efficiency mod in the next phase, although it's based on crew count and workspace area. So the more Kerbals you have on-site and the more space you have for them to work in, the faster the modules work. So kinda like dropping in a large construction crew for a year, then pulling them back home once it's done and leaving the scientists, etc. behind.

I remember that from the OP, but things like smelting ore into metal wouldn't really be boosted by more people standing around and watching it, but tripling the power use to smelt the ore would surely double the ore to metal conversion rate.

I remember that from the OP, but things like smelting ore into metal wouldn't really be boosted by more people standing around and watching it, but tripling the power use to smelt the ore would surely double the ore to metal conversion rate.

True, but figure it would be triple the power and triple the people (or, more correctly, going from robotic smelters to having Kerbals keep things moving more efficiently).

It could also be a secondary converter, or even a separate add-on module (even something radially attached via KAS) that affects this, since I already peek at the attached parts.

Thinking out loud, maybe the idea of an attachable controller upgrade that you slap on the module, and when present, changes some of the rates on the generator. It's certainly a doable thing, especially if you have KSP I and can work in MegaJoules.

True, but figure it would be triple the power and triple the people (or, more correctly, going from robotic smelters to having Kerbals keep things moving more efficiently).

It could also be a secondary converter, or even a separate add-on module (even something radially attached via KAS) that affects this, since I already peek at the attached parts.

Thinking out loud, maybe the idea of an attachable controller upgrade that you slap on the module, and when present, changes some of the rates on the generator. It's certainly a doable thing, especially if you have KSP I and can work in MegaJoules.

That would be good enough for me, although I dont use KSPI, I do use the reactors from NFP and tend to have an excess of power most places.

Rover, did my inflatable connection tunnels idea float your boat at all? Building a base which precisely lines up so that docking ports all match is hard, and a KAS-connected base isn't as satisfying. Hehe.

That's the idea - radially attached doors which Jeb can grab the edge of and pull the tunnel out connecting it to another similar door nearby. I know these ideas have been suggested for space bases before? That and half-burying everything.

Rover, did my inflatable connection tunnels idea float your boat at all? Building a base which precisely lines up so that docking ports all match is hard, and a KAS-connected base isn't as satisfying. Hehe.

Great idea, just something that at the moment I have no idea how to do ;)

So I did some noodling on this, and I have an idea that I am going to try out.

Ultimately, 'attaching stuff' is a solved problem, but also one that presents issues, whether you use docking ports, really large ships, etc.

So what if we went a totally different route?

Say you had a colony of ten separate structures - not attached, but rather just a bunch of stand-alone ships/structures in rendering range. At the center would be a kind of Logistics Hub, that would be able to transfer (automatically, but at a cost) resources between multiple ships in the same area?

How it would work is this. When a generator kicked off, it would check to see if it had sufficient inputs. If it did not, it would attempt to take some from any nearby logistics hubs. then, once processing was complete, it would attempt to put any outputs in that same logistics hub provided space was available.

From an immersion standpoint, we'd assume that the Kerbals had rovers, etc. to ferry supplies between the colony's different buildings. And long term, I would want to see if I could cover the logistic hub's range in a giant non-colliding clear bubble ;)

Granted, I have NFI if this is even doable, but if it is, it's going to either be incredibly easy or crazy hard.

Thoughts?

I might just be "old school" but I think direct attachment (docking ports or KAS) is the way to go. Your Idea would greatly simplify base building, but to me seems unrealistic, esepcially if you are running an unmanned outpost.

Edited by Rockstar04
grammar

I might just be "old school" but I think direct attachment (docking ports or KAS) is the way to go. Your Idea would greatly simplify base building, but to me seems unrealistic, esepcially if you are running an unmanned outpost.

One option would possibly be to make it a manned component, and I think having the colony under a giant translucent dome would help with the immersion bit.

Another would be to see if I can hack KAS enough to make large tubes.

In either case, all about options :)

Just a idea i had. How about allowing for construction of KAS pipe end points using some module of MKO?

These are very usefull and you dont wanna run out of them. And pipes are probably easy to manodacture, its nothing complicated.

Also, Rover do you plan to make various conditions of planets affect how base works?

For example duna is warmer than mun and habitat woudl require less energy for keeping kerbals warm.

Edited by kiwiak

So I did some noodling on this, and I have an idea that I am going to try out.

Ultimately, 'attaching stuff' is a solved problem, but also one that presents issues, whether you use docking ports, really large ships, etc.

So what if we went a totally different route?

Say you had a colony of ten separate structures - not attached, but rather just a bunch of stand-alone ships/structures in rendering range. At the center would be a kind of Logistics Hub, that would be able to transfer (automatically, but at a cost) resources between multiple ships in the same area?

How it would work is this. When a generator kicked off, it would check to see if it had sufficient inputs. If it did not, it would attempt to take some from any nearby logistics hubs. then, once processing was complete, it would attempt to put any outputs in that same logistics hub provided space was available.

From an immersion standpoint, we'd assume that the Kerbals had rovers, etc. to ferry supplies between the colony's different buildings. And long term, I would want to see if I could cover the logistic hub's range in a giant non-colliding clear bubble ;)

Granted, I have NFI if this is even doable, but if it is, it's going to either be incredibly easy or crazy hard.

Thoughts?

Not a fan of the "invisible" transfers, prefer things like the pipes that KAS has.

OMG, I LOVE THIS MOD!!!!!!!!!!

BEST implementation yet with the interfaces to Kethane and TAC etc.

Oh and my 0.02 cents: Requiring KAS or use of docking ports is not that big a deal. Using Temstar's template for modular base building, making docked bases is a snap (ha ha get it)

Just a idea i had. How about allowing for construction of KAS pipe end points using some module of MKO?

These are very usefull and you dont wanna run out of them. And pipes are probably easy to manodacture, its nothing complicated.

Also, Rover do you plan to make various conditions of planets affect how base works?

For example duna is warmer than mun and habitat woudl require less energy for keeping kerbals warm.

To go one step further, it would be interesting to allow the manufacture of anything that is KAS storeable. Also environmental controls are on the super long term list, but not till a later phase