[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

I'm going to go ahead and assume that's a typo... :P

5 million meters ;) So comparable to the Communotron 32

I think a 5 meter antenna would consist of two cans and some string, which in itself would be incredibly Kerbal.

Models are nice, but they need some nicer textures!

btw, i love name "kerbitat".

Yep, getting all of the models sorted first so I can stop breaking people's saves ;)

In order of priority:

Gameplay

Models

Textures

Lighting

Animations

IVAs

Looks and sounds great. I really hope someone makes some detailed guides soon as I really don't understand all the metaphorical moving parts, but I want to!

Let me know which parts of the WIKI need work, since I am looking to keep that improving as I finish pieces of the mod.

One thing I did change in the current dev version (not out yet, playtesting right now) is taking the ConstructionParts requirement away from the Colony Hub and Construction Hub to make bootstrapping easier.

I guess I don't get yet how you start. Like.... Kethane scanners suggest that various locations have various resources and "x type of site is good to start in because y" (I don't know x or y). I am guessing Kethane and substrate would be handy as you can covert Kethane to stuff, and substrate for farms... But perhaps ore is better. Or minerals?

Depending on site choice, what do you do next? Bring in some supplies? Bring in some bio materials for supply creation? TAC LS use would suggest getting a colony up and running robotically first. How many of x modules or supplies are needed to do y to support z Kerbals?

Further, I know there are production chains and I can see how these will produce supplies of value (TAC guy is planning to change how his supplies are measured, by the way) but am I right that some bits of basses can actually produce new base components like new caps and modules to be deployed somehow?

Lots of questions. I am sure it will become more obvious, but a guide to your first site and what it will need would be great.

Edited by TinyPirate

OK. Love this concept. Got a mobile miner on the Mun, cuz, hell, why not. It consists of, well, the attached.

MLkDkWz.png

Now--the problem is it doesn't want to mine, even though I'm right on top of 95,000 units of ore.

a2BmRHu.png

What I think is happening is I'm trying to put it into a kethane tank, and it doesn't like that--because "ore" is not a selectable resource for my ship. If the only home for ore is one of the sixteen modules, then that would be a problem, since the kethane material is necessary for every other part of the extraction process. Yeah? if you can enable that functionality, that would be great.

I understand that the drill doesn't have a fuel line to the tank, the necessity of which seems ridiculous, but that notwithstanding, there ought to be room for ore in that tank too. Just saying. please correct me if I'm wrong, or demonstrate correct mining methods. Thanks.

Yes, some tanks designed for other resources would be useful, but a couple storage huts will do the same job for the MKS resources. or you could copy the .cfgs of the kethane tanks and change the resource storage line to what Roverdude uses.

FYI, Kethane works like monopropellant, you don't need fuel lines for it.

I wonder, how this would play with RSS =S

yes it should work for rss. even stock kethan works for rss so this should also since no real changed other than adding the resouces have been did

I guess I don't get yet how you start. Like.... Kethane scanners suggest that various locations have various resources and "x type of site is good to start in because y" (I don't know x or y). I am guessing Kethane and substrate would be handy as you can covert Kethane to stuff, and substrate for farms... But perhaps ore is better. Or minerals?

You probably want a site that has both minerals and ore first, because these two together make ConstructionParts via the Construction Hub, and you will need those for every single module (unless you feel like hauling an extra 20 tons of stuff for each module). Figure that colonies are built more for long term use, so ruggedness is more of a consideration than being lightweight.

Depending on site choice, what do you do next? Bring in some supplies? Bring in some bio materials for supply creation? TAC LS use would suggest getting a colony up and running robotically first. How many of x modules or supplies are needed to do y to support z Kerbals?

You would need to manually haul in Life Support until you can get that up and running, so you want a Terraformer (to make your soil) and that module needs substrate and water. So you either have to hope that your initial site has substrate, minerals, and ore (and haul in water), or you have to set up a secondary site and relaunch stuff to your first site (which is what I have to do on Minmus on my save). LS wise, for each Kerbal you will need a single Greenhouse and a single Kerbitat. And the water purifier of the Terraformer can support up to 10 greenhouses.

Further, I know there are production chains and I can see how these will produce supplies of value (TAC guy is planning to change how his supplies are measured, by the way) but am I right that some bits of basses can actually produce new base components like new caps and modules to be deployed somehow?

Not yet, the supply chain (outside of life support) is geared to create Colony Supplies. To do 100% of the chain, you need substrate, ore, and minerals, and a lot of modules (from refining through manufacturing then through assembly). The end game is that you can recycle used Colony Supplies back to metal/polyumers/chemicals, and the entire thing acts as a giant closed system, so you can, at the end, have a 'Green Colony' where you no longer have to mine for resources. FYI once TAC changes I'll change to stay in sync. My net effect is that water will get a lot heavier ;) Right now my resources are in line with things like EL, etc. and I expect TAC will end up being in line with the other mods at 200 units per cubic meter.

Lots of questions. I am sure it will become more obvious, but a guide to your first site and what it will need would be great.

I spent today making some very large visios showing the different supply chains from the perspective of several small closed systems (life support, supplies, etc.). It should be up in the next couple of days, since I also want to write some narrative to go with it, and show the supply chains from simplest to hardest.

OK. Love this concept. Got a mobile miner on the Mun, cuz, hell, why not. It consists of, well, the attached.

FYI - you inspired me to make a specific 'Rover' version of the storage tank optimized to have axles and wheels attached ;) Wide and flat with a low (relative to a Rover) center of gravity. Going to sneak this in before the next update since I am changing up the storage tanks and the current ones are not as Rover friendly as I would like.

Awesome, Rover! Thanks! Ok. So my thinking was along the right lines - a couple of satellite bases might be necessary (and fun!). It means minmus and other low-grav moons become quite desirable.

I wonder if there is an incentive to landing and base building on Duna and similar then? I wonder if there are features to be added or resources one would wish from larger/atmosphere'd worlds.

Awesome, Rover! Thanks! Ok. So my thinking was along the right lines - a couple of satellite bases might be necessary (and fun!). It means minmus and other low-grav moons become quite desirable.

I wonder if there is an incentive to landing and base building on Duna and similar then? I wonder if there are features to be added or resources one would wish from larger/atmosphere'd worlds.

Depends, probably more likely to use Ike, although with Duna you could (in theory) just mine your stuff on Ike and parachute your raw materials in. Probably the better use case for a Duna base would be if you were using KSPI and wanted to drop bases on more desireable planets for science.

http://i.imgur.com/IZ58bWN.png

When ever I revert to launch with a colony hub and end cap it goes to this. It's quite repeatable. I have a mostly stock save (RAM saving thing, TAC lifesupport)

Le bug report?

Let me try to replicate. Can you toss a screenie of your ship in the VAB? I just want to confirm which cap you're using.

It was a test craft meant to fly to that little dimple in the ground and make a little test base.

http://i.imgur.com/nV6LN8q.png

http://i.imgur.com/inQViud.png

Aha! So some quick things :) That cap will not work with a Colony Hub - has to be the command style cap (the one with windows). Also it gets sad if it is not directly attached ;) Let me go see if I can repl the screen issue now

FYI - you inspired me to make a specific 'Rover' version of the storage tank optimized to have axles and wheels attached ;) Wide and flat with a low (relative to a Rover) center of gravity. Going to sneak this in before the next update since I am changing up the storage tanks and the current ones are not as Rover friendly as I would like.

That's pretty cool. Looking forward to it!

I spent today making some very large visios showing the different supply chains from the perspective of several small closed systems (life support, supplies, etc.). It should be up in the next couple of days, since I also want to write some narrative to go with it, and show the supply chains from simplest to hardest.

That would be lovely. I spent about an hour and a half last night making this, because I was confused as all hell. I think there might be an error in the assembly plant conversion rate (30 colony supply input yield 3 colony supply outputs--are those inverted?)

gkExEDq.jpg?1

That's pretty cool. Looking forward to it!

That would be lovely. I spent about an hour and a half last night making this, because I was confused as all hell. I think there might be an error in the assembly plant conversion rate (30 colony supply input yield 3 colony supply outputs--are those inverted?)

http://i.imgur.com/gkExEDq.jpg?1

30 input / 30 output for Colony Supply

I actually have an Excel spreadsheet I used during design - it includes a nifty calculator for setting up colonies. I'll clean it up and add it to the GitHub repo