[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

So as noted previously in the thread, the artist concepts for some of the NASA MARS Design Reference Missions have a pretty distinctive look:

zdrmhab3.jpg

Basically tubular reinforcement around the more fragile tub bit.

I also liked the look of the Mars Excursion Module, and thought something like it would make a lovely six-Kerbal colony hub, double as a Mission Control for RemoteTech, and be a nice 3.75m module that lets all of the 2.5m MKS modules fit beautifully inside of fairings, with some space for their descent parts:

spxmarsem.jpg

Thus, I present to you a series of updated components that pay homage to the DRM concept art:

XiOs9gW.jpg

iQK6T3F.jpg

WqShBjq.jpg

q8eaKQo.jpg

R8hXwTM.jpg

Very cool, Rover. Really digging the MEM-style pod. Could we possibly get a version (or perhaps 'molded' radial parts) that has nodes for attaching it to 1.25m (preferably with clearance for 2.5m attachment)? I can mock up an example if what I mean isn't clear. I prefer the look (and at some level the challenge) of connecting a base so that the interior is a contained shirtsleeves environment. I also understand if your vision is more centered on KAS-connected structures (which seems to be the case). Either way keep up the good work!

Very cool, Rover. Really digging the MEM-style pod. Could we possibly get a version (or perhaps 'molded' radial parts) that has nodes for attaching it to 1.25m (preferably with clearance for 2.5m attachment)? I can mock up an example if what I mean isn't clear. I prefer the look (and at some level the challenge) of connecting a base so that the interior is a contained shirtsleeves environment. I also understand if your vision is more centered on KAS-connected structures (which seems to be the case). Either way keep up the good work!

Sure, PM me with a mock up or other example of what you're looking for and I can take a look. I *think* I get what you're asking for but want to be sure.

At what point should we be able to reliably use this mod without save-breaking? I guess you're still in design phase. :)

Depends oj definition of save breaking. At a minimum, there will be a reworking once TAC-LS updates how they handle consumption. Model wise, I'd guess stability in a week or two. Personally I've launched and scrapped more colonies than I care to even mention ;) Basically every thime I set one up, if something bugs me I stop, rework it, and plug it back into the mod (although I feel that for parts it's mostly going to be for additions).

That being said, starting with the next version I will be numbering the parts by version so that you can choose to either do a side by side, or wipe out your old parts and build anew (i.e. I will not break existing parts, but the old versions will not receive updates, and will not make it into the public release).

Edited by RoverDude

Large update incoming:

Workspaces and Efficiency

Logistics (short range auto-transfer of resources, including Life Support - can be turned off if you so desire)

New (final?) model set

Updated generation quantities (makes bases a bit more manageable - now Kerbatats/Greenhouses support 3 v 1 Kerbal, so less mod duplication)

Teaser screenshot - going through another round of tests on my dev save before I stick a fork in it. Kolony below can support 9 Kerbals.

9k43rB1.png

Air dropping a Kolony onto Duna....

sVka01P.png

Large update incoming:

Workspaces and Efficiency

Logistics (short range auto-transfer of resources, including Life Support - can be turned off if you so desire)

New (final?) model set

Updated generation quantities (makes bases a bit more manageable - now Kerbatats/Greenhouses support 3 v 1 Kerbal, so less mod duplication)

Teaser screenshot - going through another round of tests on my dev save before I stick a fork in it. Kolony below can support 9 Kerbals.

http://i.imgur.com/9k43rB1.png

Air dropping a Kolony onto Duna....

http://i.imgur.com/sVka01P.png

DO WANT!

10char

Another PSA - efficiency just got really interesting, since it takes into account Kerbals crewing the different modules, as well as the relationship with disconnected ships. So a connected colony with several modules will tend to spread out the Kerbals more, while a series of small, disconnected clusters will tend towards more extremes - so doing a skeleton crew on construction while concentrating on life support can yield some interesting results.

I am also going to, just for fun, add in the use of the Stupidity trait. i.e. smarter Kerbals will have a marginally positive effect on efficiency while overly stupid ones will have a corresponding negative one.

I've been looking to get into this mod, but I'm confused on a few things. Firstly, this quote...

Construction Hub - Takes raw materials (mineral and metal ores) and produces ConstructionParts. Each module requires 250of these to function, so your initial deployment will involve tons (literally) of these to bootstrap the colony.

Is this a typo or something? 250 parts just to add one more module seems, well, beyond excessive, and would undoubtedly destroy my computer.

Secondly, I'm not completely sure what other mods I'll need, or rather what mods this is intended to be played with. There didn't seem to be a list in the OP, but perhaps I missed it.

Edit: this appears in your post on reddit; you might want to add it on the forum post. All of it looks very promising, but it's a lot to take in at once.

Finally, does this work with career mode?

Edited by Jodo42

I've been looking to get into this mod, but I'm confused on a few things. Firstly, this quote...

Is this a typo or something? 250 parts just to add one more module seems, well, beyond excessive, and would undoubtedly destroy my computer.

750 actually, and they are just a resource, so no worries on lag. Basically MKS adds a plugin that will not allow modules to function unless a certain number of resources (which are not consumed) are in the specific part (they do not flow).

Secondly, I'm not completely sure what other mods I'll need, or rather what mods this is intended to be played with. There didn't seem to be a list in the OP, but perhaps I missed it.

Edit: this appears in your post on reddit; you might want to add it on the forum post. All of it looks very promising, but it's a lot to take in at once.

Kethane and TAC-LS. FYI there's a new walkthrough (link on the first page) that takes you through three missions to get your first colony up and running. That should take the edge off the learning cliff.

Yep, all parts are under Advanced Science Tech for now, although before the official release I'll spread them out a bit.

ConstructionParts is a resource, not actual parts you need to place on the module.

Dont know if this has been reported but no icon appears for your space ship on the orbit map. This is on a freshly installed ksp 0.23.5

More than likely its because its not a pod but a science part

http://i.imgur.com/R29ZYkK.png

I'll take a look - the vessel type is set to be a base, that might be part of it. I assume you have the ColonyHub as your root part? Also, crewed or not crewed?

Comments on tutorial/wiki pages: I would avoid using "construct" or "build", use "make", "made", "manufactured" where possible. When I read "build" or "construct" I think that somehow I'm going to invent a module that I will need to place in-world somehow. In fact, if I were you, I'd rename "construction parts" to ... something else. I don't know what.. How are colony supplies different again? Hmmm.

Comments on tutorial/wiki pages: I would avoid using "construct" or "build", use "make", "made", "manufactured" where possible. When I read "build" or "construct" I think that somehow I'm going to invent a module that I will need to place in-world somehow. In fact, if I were you, I'd rename "construction parts" to ... something else. I don't know what.. How are colony supplies different again? Hmmm.

ConstructionParts are required but non-consumed (new concept in the plugin). ColonySupplies are consumed. Think of ConstructionParts as the walls, bulkheads, and initial fitting out, whereas ColonySupplies are the things that break due to normal wear and tear.

I'm Guessing you need Kethane installed to get this to work and only kethane is show up on map all other Resources you just have to mouse over all the white spots and see if there some ?

Edit might help if you put what all mods are need to use this on front page or, I didn't see it.

Edited by Mecripp2

I'm Guessing you need Kethane installed to get this to work and only kethane is show up on map all other Resources you just have to mouse over all the white spots and see if there some ?

Edit might help if you put what all mods are need to use this on front page or, I didn't see it.

Yes Kethane is required as this mod uses modual manager to update the Kethane parts to detect and extract the needed raw materials. To see the other raw materials deposits click the little arrows in the Kethane window on your map view to cycle through the available resources.

I'm very seriously considering using your mod as the basis for a YouTube series.

My question: what would it take for your mod to be compatible with extraplanetary launchpads as well? My thought, not only an eventual self-sufficient colony in terms of Life Support, but should also be capable of producing vehicals for use.

There are also some really nice drill models out there for use with EPL, and would be really nice if those would work for this mod as well.

Thoughts? Is it just a matter of some module manager magic?

I'm very seriously considering using your mod as the basis for a YouTube series.

My question: what would it take for your mod to be compatible with extraplanetary launchpads as well? My thought, not only an eventual self-sufficient colony in terms of Life Support, but should also be capable of producing vehicals for use.

There are also some really nice drill models out there for use with EPL, and would be really nice if those would work for this mod as well.

Thoughts? Is it just a matter of some module manager magic?

It SHOULD play nice - I made sure the resources do not conflict (I use the same names and masses for Ore and Metal). Someone else on the thread did mention adjusting production rates as well. It would also be almost trivial to MM up a new part using the refinery model to make RocketParts. Also, the drills should also work since EPL uses Kethane (there's already a Kethane config in the distro where I modify the stock Kethane drills).

I may have to play with EPL myself and see if I missed anything, but I expect you'll be in good shape.

It SHOULD play nice - I made sure the resources do not conflict (I use the same names and masses for Ore and Metal). Someone else on the thread did mention adjusting production rates as well. It would also be almost trivial to MM up a new part using the refinery model to make RocketParts. Also, the drills should also work since EPL uses Kethane (there's already a Kethane config in the distro where I modify the stock Kethane drills).

I may have to play with EPL myself and see if I missed anything, but I expect you'll be in good shape.

That's excellent news! Thanks! I'll start some test runs tonight.