[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

Quick question, I noticed that you've included Taclifesupport.dll and a resources.cfg etc, these are files already in my TACLifeSupport directory... Is this causing a conflict?

Nope.

The config just adds in the new resources (same with the Kethane config). The DLL is needed there because I sublcass, and for whatever reason, KSP loads the DLL's in alphabetical order (so kinda a pain, unless I rename my stuff to come in after TAC, which I just may do at some point). Same reason the toolbar mod starts with 000_ ;)

Can you add support for BahamutoD's drills? They're originally intended for ExPL, but they're also based on Kethane. I'm assuming you could just add them to your KethanePartsMod.cfg so they extract minerals and substrate (maybe water too?), in addition to their ore extraction, without that actually creating a dependency (namely if you use the % operator but I don't have a clue how ModuleManager handles it if the part doesn't exist; I assume gracefully with a silent exception unless it's debugging). They're pretty big and power-sucking, so perhaps should work at a faster rate than the default Kethane drills.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Can you add support for BahamutoD's drills? They're originally intended for ExPL, but they're also based on Kethane. I'm assuming you could just add them to your KethanePartsMod.cfg so they extract minerals and substrate (maybe water too?), in addition to their ore extraction, without that actually creating a dependency (namely if you use the % operator but I don't have a clue how ModuleManager handles it if the part doesn't exist; I assume gracefully with a silent exception unless it's debugging). They're pretty big and power-sucking, so perhaps should work at a faster rate than the default Kethane drills.

Sure, more than happy to add this in.

Well I whipped-up a cfg to do it just now as a "why not" sort of thing. Should be (roughly) balanced properly with MKS.

@PART[bahaEPLsmAuger]
{
@MODULE[KethaneExtractor]
{
%Resource[Ore]
{
%Rate = 0.125
}
Resource
{
Name = Minerals
Rate = 0.125
}
Resource
{
Name = Substrate
Rate = 0.125
}
Resource
{
Name = Water
Rate = 0.125
}
}
}
@PART[bahaEPLXLAuger]
{
@MODULE[KethaneExtractor]
{
%Resource[Ore]
{
%Rate = 1.333
}
Resource
{
Name = Minerals
Rate = 1.333
}
Resource
{
Name = Substrate
Rate = 1.333
}
Resource
{
Name = Water
Rate = 1.333
}
}
}

More-or-less. I haven't tested that but it looks about right. :huh:

Probably best to keep it optional though. Tweaking the ore rates down to be in-line with your mod would seriously reduce their effectiveness for people who also use EXPL.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Well I whipped-up a cfg to do it just now as a "why not" sort of thing. Should be (roughly) balanced properly with MKS.

<snip>

More-or-less. I haven't tested that but it looks about right. :huh:

Probably best to keep it optional though. Tweaking the ore rates down to be in-line with your mod would seriously reduce their effectiveness for people who also use EXPL.

I'm going to do some revisiting and see if I can just adjust my rates to be inline with EPL instead ;) That way everyone plays nice together.

Any chance you can make this work with ECLSS as well? While they're both life support mods, ECLSS has two things I prefer over TAC...sexier/more stocklike models and it doesn't put everything into stasis when you aren't currently controlling that specific craft.

Any chance you can make this work with ECLSS as well? While they're both life support mods, ECLSS has two things I prefer over TAC...sexier/more stocklike models and it doesn't put everything into stasis when you aren't currently controlling that specific craft.

Probably not in the short to medium term. The reason I take the TAC dependency is to keep all of the Colony generators on exactly the same cycle as the Life Support ones, so it would entail doing a branch and subclassing (if possible) the ECLSS generators. Also, looking at the ECLSS thread it seems a bit buggy.

As an addendum - TAC is incredibly good about 'catching up'. I've left Kerbals on planets for years, and the entire logistics chain catches up upon focus, which I always saw as a good thing from a perf standpoint. I do agree on the not so good models, although I know a few folks have tackled this.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... new screenine. I'm working on docking modules for those that don't want to work with the proximity logistics. ProxyLogistics also got a huge overhaul this week but is still in testing.

aLPxJnf.png

Buggy? Hmm, haven't had any issues with ECLSS while using it and a large number of other mods thru a few versions of KSP...but I tend to figure out and fix the problem via the configs instead of the ever popular "OH MAH GAWD IZ BROKED PLZ FIXZ IMEDAELY!" forum post. :D I'll go read the thread a bit though, and see if there's something I'm not aware of.

Barring an ECLSS port, how about a version that's just the parts without the TAC dependency? I had thought of doing that myself before my request, but when you stated TAC was required I was worried it would be beyond my abilities to work around :) This would also allow the handful of life support mods that are out there to be used with your bases, based on end user preference.

Buggy? Hmm, haven't had any issues with ECLSS while using it and a large number of other mods thru a few versions of KSP...but I tend to figure out and fix the problem via the configs instead of the ever popular "OH MAH GAWD IZ BROKED PLZ FIXZ IMEDAELY!" forum post. :D I'll go read the thread a bit though, and see if there's something I'm not aware of.

Barring an ECLSS port, how about a version that's just the parts without the TAC dependency? I had thought of doing that myself before my request, but when you stated TAC was required I was worried it would be beyond my abilities to work around :) This would also allow the handful of life support mods that are out there to be used with your bases, based on end user preference.

If you want the parts for cosmetic reasons, that will work. But none of the generators will work (i.e. none of the resource conversion and supply chain) since those generators take a direct dependency on TAC. Switching Life Support Mods would pretty much be 'a thing' since it's a very tight coupling (by design). You could then just plug in any othe modules of your choice for LS, and I expect ProxyLogistics will work since that's broken apart in the next version, just no manufacturing.

If you want the parts for cosmetic reasons, that will work. But none of the generators will work (i.e. none of the resource conversion and supply chain) since those generators take a direct dependency on TAC. Switching Life Support Mods would pretty much be 'a thing' since it's a very tight coupling (by design). You could then just plug in any othe modules of your choice for LS, and I expect ProxyLogistics will work since that's broken apart in the next version, just no manufacturing.

I just checked the ECLSS thread and I see what you were talking about. I was burned out on KSP, and am just getting back into it after about a month and a half. I didn't have those issues others are having except maybe the tracking station one, but I was using an older version and for KSP .23. Worse yet, the creator is MIA due to RL problems, so I don't expect any fixes or updates in the near future.

I also took another look at TAC and see it's made a lot of advances since I last tried it. It's still ugly, and most of the re-textures don't help either. I guess I can do like I did for ELP and just use parts from other mods. I *guess* I can convert to the dark side...hah. It will be some time before I get to building bases again though...as I'm doing a complete restart.

That being said, I'd still suggest making a version available that is merely the parts if you're open to it. While there are a few oddball packs with a few base building parts out there, there really isn't anything available to fill the niche left by H.O.M.E. Your parts look awesome, and you'd reach a much wider audience if you made a version available without the dependencies.

I just checked the ECLSS thread and I see what you were talking about. I was burned out on KSP, and am just getting back into it after about a month and a half. I didn't have those issues others are having except maybe the tracking station one, but I was using an older version and for KSP .23. Worse yet, the creator is MIA due to RL problems, so I don't expect any fixes or updates in the near future.

I also took another look at TAC and see it's made a lot of advances since I last tried it. It's still ugly, and most of the re-textures don't help either. I guess I can do like I did for ELP and just use parts from other mods. I *guess* I can convert to the dark side...hah. It will be some time before I get to building bases again though...as I'm doing a complete restart.

That being said, I'd still suggest making a version available that is merely the parts if you're open to it. While there are a few oddball packs with a few base building parts out there, there really isn't anything available to fill the niche left by H.O.M.E. Your parts look awesome, and you'd reach a much wider audience if you made a version available without the dependencies.

Oh, they work fine as cosmetic parts without TAC. You just can't do any of the fancy resource gen stuff (but that's all for LS anyway so probably a moot point for someone not using LS)

I think I've found a bug. when you install this mod with the standard TAC download and Procedural Parts mod (formerly Stretchy SRB's) then the Procedural parts no longer work (will not stretch). I tested just TAC and Procedural Parts, and they work fine just with those two, but when I tried adding this mod, then the Procedural parts stop working. I think it may be something in the TAC related files to this mod that are causing the bug. other than this bug I've not found anything else about this mod I didn't like. I hope you can figure out what's up :)

EDIT: I removed the file TacLifeSupport.dll from the mod's files and now it's working fine as far as I can tell. still have to test out the parts and make sure they all still work. I'm not a modmaker and don't do coding. so I have no clue what removing this file has done. but it seems, on the surface anyway, to have solved the problem.

Edited by jaxson25

I think I've found a bug. when you install this mod with the standard TAC download and Procedural Parts mod (formerly Stretchy SRB's) then the Procedural parts no longer work (will not stretch). I tested just TAC and Procedural Parts, and they work fine just with those two, but when I tried adding this mod, then the Procedural parts stop working. I think it may be something in the TAC related files to this mod that are causing the bug. other than this bug I've not found anything else about this mod I didn't like. I hope you can figure out what's up :)

EDIT: I removed the file TacLifeSupport.dll from the mod's files and now it's working fine as far as I can tell. still have to test out the parts and make sure they all still work. I'm not a modmaker and don't do coding. so I have no clue what removing this file has done. but it seems, on the surface anyway, to have solved the problem.

Ahh good to know

Short versions - KSP loads mods for whatever reason alphabetically, and I come alphabetically before TAC so if TAC is not loaded, my mod gets very sad (this is probably why the toolbar mod is in a '000_' folder.

Suprised it caused an issue, so I'll have to go back and see what I can sort out, if it's a solveable issue (other than the horrible hack of renaming my root folder in GameData). If MKS fails to work, go ahead and rename the GreenMesaIndustries folder to zzMKS or something and see if that fixed it after deleting my copy of the TAC dll?

I have been waiting for a good replacement for H.O.M.E., and I got it. This looks great, trying now!

Awesome! I'm trying to tighten everything up before a public release, so feedback is really encouraged and appreciated

Another quick update - currently working through some adjustments to proximity logistics. Specifically, have the range affected by the number and quantity of Kerbals serving in the logistics distribution part. So brave Kerbals will be more willing to go out of that airlock to deliver supplies, while stupid ones will tend to be... well... stupider. So it will be a combination of both stats that in the end determine range.

There will also be a ColonySupply and ElectricCharge consumption rate - this will be tied to the number of Kerbals that are servicing the distribution module.

There's also a replacement for the docking hub part - it does not actually dock, and the six nodes are a pain - so I made it a cube that you can rotate, and am keeping the docking port as a separate part. Will also add an 'Airlock' module for completeness/aesthetics with a crew capacity and a functioning hatch.

(I'm doing a revamp of the larger tubs (changing the collider as well as lowering the landing strut anchor points for consistency), but will not be breaking any alpha saves (these will have an MKS_014x prefix, where x is an incremental letter).

Note that when this does go live, I will be renaming all of the parts to their final designation so that I don't break anyone's saves (they will all revert back to the MKS_ designation with no version prefix), but you may want to deprecate the parts/etc. on your own or change configs as appropriate.

I suggested this a few days back for the modding-community, and I guess, it fits here best:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76084-final-step-to-off-kerbin-colonies

basically, it would require one or two modules for breeding and educating new kerbals. this would be the last step towards a fully autarc working colony on another planet/moon/asteroid.

I have yet no idea how breeding kerbals could work, as far as I know, they seem to be androgyne, but maybe they still require at least 2 kerbals to successfully breed.

(and yes, I do like the idea of having a pregnant jeb... although they may lay eggs).

I suggested this a few days back for the modding-community, and I guess, it fits here best:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76084-final-step-to-off-kerbin-colonies

basically, it would require one or two modules for breeding and educating new kerbals. this would be the last step towards a fully autarc working colony on another planet/moon/asteroid.

I have yet no idea how breeding kerbals could work, as far as I know, they seem to be androgyne, but maybe they still require at least 2 kerbals to successfully breed.

(and yes, I do like the idea of having a pregnant jeb... although they may lay eggs).

Going to dog-ear this ;) I have a long-term roadmap for the project (very large-scale constructibles, underground colonies, etc.) and always good to hear interesting ideas.

And yeah, I think the egg theory makes as much sense as anything else ;)

Dont know if it's been reported before, but the Recycling Plant doesnt Output anything at a Conversion rate:1. It should require punchcards and recycles? to produce something, or like an incinerator to dispose of the waste.

/Rikard