[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

Now, I know I will sound like a greedy *******, but...

Any ETA on that? When you finalize the mod or sooner? :P

I'm testing final benchmarks right now, then that's on the agenda for tonight - I will launch with it.

Had to slightly ease up some production rates on after I had repeated incidents of Kerbin's smartest Kerbonauts dieing en masse.

the number of launches that station took was amazing, I think it was close to 50. not sure how I had the patience for it. although it was easier than the 65MM orbit I call it Extreme Kerbin Orbit.

Not suprised, but then that means the mod is working as it should.

Here's how I do my bases:

lGH9XoS.png?1

CLyvdAv.png?1

PIdrBKS.png?1

YXsqtIv.png?1

So here's the plan RE CoolBeer's configs.

I am going to just run his multipliers through an alternate config set (I generate all of my configs procedurally). This will be on GitHub, and you would just copy these over the existing MKS Parts folder. It will assume you have already sorted out the rest of the stuff with TAC. I will make zero guarantees - things may be unleashed, children may be eaten ;)

I've been giving these a playthrough, and I have to say I'm loving them! Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but I'd suggest that you re-order the stack nodes in the TubeHub.cfg so that the node_stack_top and node_stack_bottom are the last two in the list. This will allow attaching the hub inline to other parts without having to rotate it first. Sorry if that's a repeat, I didn't see any comments about it on a quick skim through previous pages.

Btw, I appreciate the bump for the Cargo Transportation Solutions :) They do work well together.

I've been giving these a playthrough, and I have to say I'm loving them! Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but I'd suggest that you re-order the stack nodes in the TubeHub.cfg so that the node_stack_top and node_stack_bottom are the last two in the list. This will allow attaching the hub inline to other parts without having to rotate it first. Sorry if that's a repeat, I didn't see any comments about it on a quick skim through previous pages.

Btw, I appreciate the bump for the Cargo Transportation Solutions :) They do work well together.

Thanks for the catch - just fixed it :) And I am totally loving CTS - fits MKS like a glove.

Have been playing with MKS for a while now, I really love the idea! This adds so much to the lategame phases of KSP! Thank you RoverDude!

Just some thoughts for a possible addon to MKS at later stages of developement:

Have you thought about supporting ORS in addition to Kethane? It would require some work generating the configs, but because you have no direct ressource extraction it could be an optional download.

I've been tinkering with it a little bit, works quite well with MKS, and it changes the way it's played only a little bit. It is possible to have all the ressources everywhere on the planet, but with different concentrations, which affects the extraction rate. It is possible at a bad spot (with almost no ressources) to support a basic colony without needing a second mining base. At later stages you will need to mine somewhere else (if you haven't set up your base at a very good location right at the start, like in "vanilla" MKS). Wouldn't mind a little KSPI support (reactor/radiator/science/...modules, everything as an optional download ofc.) either.

Congratulations on the release btw :)

Regards, Stage

Sure. Just added a new field called CalculateEfficiency as a boolean, defaults to true.

Thank you, it works perfectly! Would it be possible to remove the "Governor" button when "CalculateEfficiency = false", since it doesn't actually do anything in these modules?

Have been playing with MKS for a while now, I really love the idea! This adds so much to the lategame phases of KSP! Thank you RoverDude!

Just some thoughts for a possible addon to MKS at later stages of developement:

Have you thought about supporting ORS in addition to Kethane? It would require some work generating the configs, but because you have no direct ressource extraction it could be an optional download.

I've been tinkering with it a little bit, works quite well with MKS, and it changes the way it's played only a little bit. It is possible to have all the ressources everywhere on the planet, but with different concentrations, which affects the extraction rate. It is possible at a bad spot (with almost no ressources) to support a basic colony without needing a second mining base. At later stages you will need to mine somewhere else (if you haven't set up your base at a very good location right at the start, like in "vanilla" MKS). Wouldn't mind a little KSPI support (reactor/radiator/science/...modules, everything as an optional download ofc.) either.

Congratulations on the release btw :)

Regards, Stage

On the roadmap - generating the PNGs is the bit that I am dreading tbh, but something I do want to do :)

Thank you, it works perfectly! Would it be possible to remove the "Governor" button when "CalculateEfficiency = false", since it doesn't actually do anything in these modules?

possible, will put it on the list (bear in mind it will be far down the list since I think you're the only person using this undocumented tweak ;))

Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble with this... The Scanner only scans for Kethane and no other resources....

You need to click on the arrows in the Kethane overlay to look at the different elements available

On the roadmap - generating the PNGs is the bit that I am dreading tbh, but something I do want to do :)

Woohoo :D

For my mun-test with ORS I used the SCANsat-pngs and edited them in GIMP a little bit. I mapped all bodys in kerbol with scansat and exportet the pngs (altimeter,slope,biome in colour and grey), If you want I can send you a dropbox link with the SCANsat folder and my moon pngs for all 4 ressources.

Woohoo :D

For my mun-test with ORS I used the SCANsat-pngs and edited them in GIMP a little bit. I mapped all bodys in kerbol with scansat and exportet the pngs (altimeter,slope,biome in colour and grey), If you want I can send you a dropbox link with the SCANsat folder and my moon pngs for all 4 ressources.

That would be excellent. Assuming I can get PNGs for all of the bodies, I have no problem dropping in support with the next release for ORS.

I've never attempted to build a base before but after seeing this mod I want to give it a shot. My biggest question is how in the world do you go about assembling one of these things once they are on the ground? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've never attempted to build a base before but after seeing this mod I want to give it a shot. My biggest question is how in the world do you go about assembling one of these things once they are on the ground? Any advice would be much appreciated.

A few options - either wheels on the modules to move them around and dock with, or build a crane to manhandle them around. Could also assemble it in space and drop it with a giant sky crane, etc.

What's the level of completion on the models? there's areas where meshes intersect instead of terminating or being merged and it's pretty noticeable. (docking nodes on one of the base elements and ends of some rails sort of butting up against each other instead of merging cleanly)

There's also areas where there seems to be bad tangents, like on some of the rails. Maybe something that could be solved by hardening edges on the ends of the rails. (longitudal? latitudal? forget which is which)

What's the level of completion on the models? there's areas where meshes intersect instead of terminating or being merged and it's pretty noticeable. (docking nodes on one of the base elements and ends of some rails sort of butting up against each other instead of merging cleanly)

There's also areas where there seems to be bad tangents, like on some of the rails. Maybe something that could be solved by hardening edges on the ends of the rails. (longitudal? latitudal? forget which is which)

In progress - these were my first models after learning Blender :)

Does this mod supports Open Resource System? Because it seems a bit odd that you need to actually "mine" water from a specified spot where in that planet you could simply just use a water purifier and get water from it's ocean.

I believe the current release does, but you'd have to go over to the release thread to verify that.

Correct, just bear in mind it is very experimental (test maps are there for Kerbin and Mun)

Hi Guys I am working on a General Flowchart for Modular Kolonization System that covers the whole colony system requirements. Since I am using a 14 Day trial program online I thought perhaps I should Crowdsource this. It Does let me share with other so they can edit so I will share the link and see if I can get this done in a timely manner. I am sure I am not the only one challenged by the complexity of the resource system.

http://www.lucidchart.com/invitations/accept/cedec3d6-1bfa-4c65-a335-ce1b307100a7