[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

Quick question since I can't find the answer at a quick glance throughout this thread: does this mod keep score (like TAC-LS does) even when the colony is not the active craft or loaded into the physics radius of ~2.3 km of active craft?

Edit: would this be the proxy logistics you speak of in http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72706-Ongoing-Dev-0-23-5-Modular-Kolonization-System-v0-16-%28RELEASE%29-05-10-2014?p=1147140&viewfull=1#post1147140?

Edited by Fuzzwood

OK I need help with this mod. I have the colony center, PDU, storage with all minning supplies and construction hub. I have them all connected with KAS. nothing I do will produce punch cards or construction parts what am I doing wrong?

Quick question since I can't find the answer at a quick glance throughout this thread: does this mod keep score (like TAC-LS does) even when the colony is not the active craft or loaded into the physics radius of ~2.3 km of active craft?

Edit: would this be the proxy logistics you speak of in http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72706-Ongoing-Dev-0-23-5-Modular-Kolonization-System-v0-16-%28RELEASE%29-05-10-2014?p=1147140&viewfull=1#post1147140?

It works like stock KAS. Proxy Logistics is just to share resources across disconnected ships in radius... and proxy will 'catch up' just like TAC when you regain focus.

OK I need help with this mod. I have the colony center, PDU, storage with all minning supplies and construction hub. I have them all connected with KAS. nothing I do will produce punch cards or construction parts what am I doing wrong?

Ensure generators are on and you have TAC LS installed.

hi there! if got a problem: everytime i try to produce something else then construction parts it says that there is no space for it... got all the relevant mods installed and working so what do i do wrong? also got storage tanks tried to balance stuff with the tac fuelbalancer, doesnt work... :/

thx in advance!

I have a weird issue with textures:

Zrzut_ekranu_z_2014_06_09_16_29_48.jpg

Textures are buggy only on your mod and every launch some of them (different every time) work fine.

Not sure if thats related but I am also getting a crash like 3 out of 4 launches of the game in "UnityEngine.WWW.GetTexture": http://pastebin.com/aa9x3nCy

Using version 0.16.6 and current(yesterday) versions of all dependences.

hi there! if got a problem: everytime i try to produce something else then construction parts it says that there is no space for it... got all the relevant mods installed and working so what do i do wrong? also got storage tanks tried to balance stuff with the tac fuelbalancer, doesnt work... :/

thx in advance!

Try switching scenes. Known issue (although it should be less of one with the current release). No idea on TAC FuelBalancer - I have no explicit support for that

I have a weird issue with textures:

http://s16.postimg.org/xjzghprnl/Zrzut_ekranu_z_2014_06_09_16_29_48.jpg

Textures are buggy only on your mod and every launch some of them (different every time) work fine.

Not sure if thats related but I am also getting a crash like 3 out of 4 launches of the game in "UnityEngine.WWW.GetTexture": http://pastebin.com/aa9x3nCy

Using version 0.16.6 and current(yesterday) versions of all dependences.

Those are old models - delete any existing UmbraSpaceIndustries or GreenMesaIndustries folders and re-install.

Try switching scenes. Known issue (although it should be less of one with the current release). No idea on TAC FuelBalancer - I have no explicit support for that

Those are old models - delete any existing UmbraSpaceIndustries or GreenMesaIndustries folders and re-install.

hi. where can i find some videos of modular kolonization system, how it works that stuff.

sorry my english.

Hi People, im new here in this Community and i am from Germany so sorry for my eventualy bad english :)

I have an issue with the MKS Mod, every time i will dock 2 Modules of MKS in space or landet it gives an epic explosion and my Kerbals are dead, the Modules are destroyed and my Mission to construct my Colony is Failed. I now try it since 13 hours and i am frustrated -.-" somebody else have this problem or a fix for this problem?

Please help me, i will have my Colony... And yes i have installed the Kethane Mod too.

Great mod. I have a lot of fun with it, building up my Mun base.

To make it easier to move my Kerbals around in the base, I wrote a ModuleManager config file to add CLS support to the MKS part. I wanted to share it, as it might also be useful to other people. The only issue I had with it was that it wouldn't always work with pre-existing MKS docking ports. CLS adds a Hatch to the docking ports and for some docking ports in the save file I couldn't open the hatch after adding the config file. But for everything that is assembled after the config file is added, it seems to work fine.

@PART[MKS_BioLab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
passable = true
surfaceAttachmentsPassable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_ChemicalRefinery]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_ComputerFactory]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_ConstructionHub]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_ElectronicsFab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_Greenhouse]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_Kerbitat]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_MachineShop]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_MetalRefinery]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_PDU]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_PlasticsFab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_PolymerRefinery]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_Recycler]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_RobotFactory]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_StorageHut_01]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_StorageHut_02]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_StorageHut_03]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_StorageHut_04]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_StorageHut_05]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_StorageHut_06]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_StorageHut_07]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_StorageHut_08]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_StorageHut_09]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_Terraformer]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_WaterPlant]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[MKS_Workspace]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_AssemblyPlant]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_ColonyHub]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_DockingHub]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_TubeHub]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_DockingPort]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
passableWhenSurfaceAttached = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_DockingTube]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_ExpandoTube]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_ExpandoTube_Mini]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_ExpandoTube_XL]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_FlexOTube]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[MKS_RadialPort]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

So I am revitalizing this thread to cover some of the nifty stuff coming up in the next version, since it does incluse some large changes.

The single biggest is the deprecation of ConstructionParts and ColonySupplies. The names are a bit off, and they show two extremes... you can build everything you want from dirt and rocks, but need to have a 100% complete base to supply yourself with spare parts.

The short version is that modules require more complex machinery as they move up the tiers, and also more complex parts (starting with patch kits of metal and plastic, up through full on replacement parts of robotics, computers, etc.). But you will generally, at any given tier, be able to be over 90% self sufficient in construction and repairs (you will still need more advanced parts from off-planet till you complete the entire tree).

Right now, a given MKS module has the following breakdown:

Core Module (1.3t):

This is the hard shell and reinforcement cage, windows, hatches, and pressurized shell of an MKS module. Really just a large empty box until the gear is added.

Class 'A' Machinery(15.1t):

Based on the function, this represents 80% of the operational gear of an MKS module. These can be repaired and manufactured one tier LOWER than the module itself (i.e. a Tier 3 module can mostly be built with Tier 2 machinery).

Class 'B' Machinery (1.9t):

More complex parts of the operational equipment, and stuff that can be made at the SAME tier as the module in question (i.e. Tier 3 parts for a Tier 3 module). Since this is only 10% of the module's weight, this is included automatically in the VAB but can be tweaked down to save a couple of tons of launch weight.

Specialized Equiment (1.9t):

Regardless of the tier of the module, all have, at their core, some pretty complex stuff. It's tier 5 to make it, and almost always shipped in. These take the form of one of six discreet types of Modular Equipment Packages (MEP's) such as laboratory packs, computing, mining, etc.

This begs the question, given the light weight, why would someone even bother making this stuff in-situ? The reason is that there will (soon) be equipment breakdown and periodic failure - so you will either want to have spares handy, manufacturing capabilities on site, or be prepared to make a very long emergency voyage to bring a module back online.

Colony supplies are replaced by repair packs of growing complexity. Tier 2 modules need Tier 2/3 packs, Tier 3 need 3/4, and Tier 4+ need all Tier 4 packs. The net effect is that you can pretty much build out 80% of your module in-situ, and cover 50% of your repair costs at your top tier. As you move up, you can cover 100% of the lower tier (i.e. once you are at tier 3, you can cover the vast majority of your colony repairs and machinery in-situ).

Will post more later, but wanted to get some initial info out there.

Edited by RoverDude

Additional working notes.

Given how many resources MKS has, and the exponential rate this causes storage units to grow at, I'm going to take a dependency on FireSpitter in the next release and use the fuel/texture switching functionality to handle using single models for each of the tank sizes. With up to four resources per tank config, I have broken things down into 12 resource sets.

Also already modified the Kolony tools to consolidate the efficiency/governor updates so we're down to one for the whole module vs. per generator so I got a lot of screen real estate back. The most complex module has six generators and this is fitting well on the screen.

Working on a new Wiki page to explain the new tiering and will be pestering folks for feedback later :)

Edited by RoverDude

Wrapped up integration with TweakScale and FireSpitter last night - went from a dozen containers down to three, but those three now have 36 varieties at five different scales. Neccesarily pulled the crew out of the ProxyLogistics hubs, removing that requirement and making Proxy be a fixed range of 2KM. Also started working on IVAs.

Another WIP for all of the generators is visual indicators (red/green/yellow) showing current status visually (red = missing resources, yellow = offline, green = online).

Hey, could you include a version that isn't dependent on TAC and Kethane; one that just adds the parts?

Because as much as I like the idea, TAC is one-too-many mods for me, and one I'd rather not have anyway.

Hey, could you include a version that isn't dependent on TAC and Kethane; one that just adds the parts?

Because as much as I like the idea, TAC is one-too-many mods for me, and one I'd rather not have anyway.

Kethane is optional (ORS is included and is pretty lightweight). RE TAC - MKS subclassess off of the TAC generators, so while it can be installed without TAC, you get no resource generation, etc. - so if you want to bypass the resources bit, that's already in place (i.e. no need for a separate download). The parts would, at that point, just be cosmetic (tho Expando and Flex tubes will still work).

Does it really need TAC? I don't use life support mods...

Covered in the post directly above yours... But to reiterate in case it was not clear.

TAC is required for the generators. No TAC, no generators. If you don't care about generators (which includes all resource consumption) then don't install TAC and the parts will not blow up or anything but you will have no resource utilization. This cannot be changed. But you're free to use the parts purely as cosmetic ones if that's what floats your boat. And ORS will work, you just won't have anything to do with the raw materials that are harvested.

Got an interesting request on the issue tracker - specifically to allow the recycling of all of the bits and junk lying around after a landing. My idea is to combine this with the function of the TAC self destruct, and create a 'recycle tag' that not only blows the part up, but will also (based on mass) decompose it into a random set of MKS resources (metal, chemicals, parts, etc.) then, along with any other resources it may already contain (liquid fuel, monoprop, etc.) will attempt to put those resources into nearby ships (likely sorted by range). May add a second part that acts like a recycling bin so players have better control over where the recycling goes.

Cool idea, a suggestion - have a "bin" part much like the Extra-planetary Launchpads mod has that you would drop the parts into, by means of a KAS hook/magnet and a tow ship. Then, CRUSH the contents of the container (or imagine it with an explosion :D) down to the raw materials as you say. Downside is it does kind of need KAS for that (or robotic arms mod?), and I'm pretty sure you want to keep as many features as independent from other mods as possible. Would be nice though I think!

Cool idea, a suggestion - have a "bin" part much like the Extra-planetary Launchpads mod has that you would drop the parts into, by means of a KAS hook/magnet and a tow ship. Then, CRUSH the contents of the container (or imagine it with an explosion :D) down to the raw materials as you say. Downside is it does kind of need KAS for that (or robotic arms mod?), and I'm pretty sure you want to keep as many features as independent from other mods as possible. Would be nice though I think!

And probably not fun to code either ;)

Well, I did manange to get my mods down to a level where I can use this properly (it looks promising. Colonisation is something we've needed for a while.). However, could you add ORS compatability for the PlanetFactory planets?

Well, I did manange to get my mods down to a level where I can use this properly (it looks promising. Colonisation is something we've needed for a while.). However, could you add ORS compatability for the PlanetFactory planets?

Which ones? ;) Alternatively, I happily take pull requests for the ORS stuff - all I need are resource PNGs and I can update the configs I automatically generate for my build process accordingly.

Minor thing:

All the parts have the same name as their file (i.e. MKS_Kerbitat.cfg contains part name = MKS_Kerbitat) except for MKS_LogHub.cfg, which contains name = MKS_LogisticsHub. Just something I noticed when playing around with tech tree placement, an odd little outlier.

Minor thing:

All the parts have the same name as their file (i.e. MKS_Kerbitat.cfg contains part name = MKS_Kerbitat) except for MKS_LogHub.cfg, which contains name = MKS_LogisticsHub. Just something I noticed when playing around with tech tree placement, an odd little outlier.

Ah - missed that one as most are procedurally generated :)