[Ongoing Dev] [0.23.5] Modular Kolonization System v0.16 (RELEASE) [05-10-2014]

RoverDude

Sooooo..... what makes colony supplies then?

An excellent question! WIKI article covering this at https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Manufacturing

Bear in mind Colony Supplies are like the end-game of MKS - they are the end of the entire logistics chain. One balance thing I am looking at is making sure that it's more effective to ship out Colony Supplies than it is to ship out food, etc.

This is (currently) not the case, simce, to support 10 Kerbals for 500 days, I either need 12.7 tons of Life Support supplies, or 20.8 tons of Colony Supplies. So building the colony is a long game - i.e. if your mission is a single trip and back, even at several years, just haul LS supplies. But if you want a permanent residence that can even generate spare food for return trips, etc. (say, a colonization of Laythe and exploration of Jool) then MKS makes sense.

(FYI, I've chopped the Colony Supply requirement in my dev build by a factor of 10 to make it more inline with TAC for all MKS modules, otherwise it was just too much of a swing - over 10:1)

Rover, what is the Interstellar planet-based science stuff you referenced? I am not aware of it.

KSP Interstellar - one of the bits is that it lets you create labs on planets and in orbit that, among other things, generate science. It's actually the reason I ended up building all of MKS ;)

- - - Updated - - -

all the old modules are still in the download RoverDude

Whoops - fixed!

Got ya, but those labs could be easier supplied and established on a low-g world!

True - especially since Ike and Duna have the same science multiplier. Super long term I may have to consider ways to incentivize having colonies on other places - possibly tying into the contract system, where there's an appropriate monetary reward for establishing that Duna colony.

You should make a video showing the mod in action. The way you wrote the first post suggests that you actually build the modules on the surface, but when you look at what is included it seems more like you land a lighter version of the container then sort of unpack it. At least these are my impressions. A little more detail on how it actually functions during gameplay would certainly be useful!

Either way it looks slick, good work!

Is there any compatibility in this mod to work with other mods that can mine ores, like extra-planetary launchpads? I ask because it would be a pain to have to set 2 separate bases mining X)

This mod has configs for kethane, which is the API that EPL uses for its resource systems. So in short, yes. If you are having problems with it I can show you what changes to make where to have it utilize the exact same resources, but it should do fine on its own.

This mod has configs for kethane, which is the API that EPL uses for its resource systems. So in short, yes. If you are having problems with it I can show you what changes to make where to have it utilize the exact same resources, but it should do fine on its own.

Okay, I will give it a go and see. It has been quite rare for me to get a full base going with mods like kethane because I've never been very good at constructing reliable launch rockets with enough juice to make sure they get to the mun but I am learning more and more as I go, and as the game is improved, less and less of my attempts are falling apart, instead just falling short of fuel lol Your mod to TAC gives me even more of a reason than ever, to work out how best to create stable launch vehicles... I remember spending almost 2 weeks trying to launch the OLD extra-planetary launch pads was an utter nightmare, haven't tried the new ones yet. Think I'm going to remove remote-tech for now to make base building a bit easier

I think one bit that makes this a little easier is the focus is more on the harvesting (though it is still a lot of launches), the modules themselves are pretty light - they just get unweildy when you fill them with stuff.

FYI - no issues with 23.5 so far. I'm playtesting a new base and also working on the wiki as well as some new illustrations and guides.

I was wondering if the resource system could be tied into biomes at all. Say for instance your best chance of finding water would be at the poles. Of course only kerbin mun and min have biomes as of now, I was just curious.

I was wondering if the resource system could be tied into biomes at all. Say for instance your best chance of finding water would be at the poles. Of course only kerbin mun and min have biomes as of now, I was just curious.

Not quite biome based, but I am considering (in a future phase once the rest of gameplay is done) setting up some intelligent defaults for the resource fields using Kethane, so you'd get the same effect (I.e. some spots where resources always are, like water on the Duna poles), and the rest being randomized

Quick update. Your new storage bins are WAY too massive. even in a new save I can't incorporate them into my designs. They look really cool, but the smaller modular ones were much easier to build with. Maybe you can compromise?

Quick update. Your new storage bins are WAY too massive. even in a new save I can't incorporate them into my designs. They look really cool, but the smaller modular ones were much easier to build with. Maybe you can compromise?

I am adding textures to some I just got from another modder this weekend :) The idea of the 'pancake' bins is that they have a huge volume, but are also very stable on the ground - so there will be, in the end, the ground based modules and the inline ones. So next update will include all three bin types - Rover-friendly resource bins, pancake ground bins, and the new inline/narrow bins

FYI - here's what I ended up doing to launch these things...

ZkyfrEq.png

I am adding textures to some I just got from another modder this weekend :) The idea of the 'pancake' bins is that they have a huge volume, but are also very stable on the ground - so there will be, in the end, the ground based modules and the inline ones. So next update will include all three bin types - Rover-friendly resource bins, pancake ground bins, and the new inline/narrow bins

FYI - here's what I ended up doing to launch these things...

Cool, I look forward to it. I was just hoping you could grandfather in the old resource canisters from 0.12. Even if you reduce the amount available to carry, just having a 2.5 m interchangeable part makes it so much easier to plan around.