[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]

ADJUSTABLE TEST WEIGHT

v1.3

for KSP 0.23

for lifter testing purposes

0.01 - 1000t

A little mod to help you to build lifter subassemblies.

(by an enthusiastic beginner, who have horrible english knowledge)

What is this exactly for?

The title speaks for itself. This simple MOD made for those KSP project managers

(hereinafter referred to "players"), who builds lifter rockets (and save as subassembly)

for different payloads to overcome that evil Kerbin gravity. Personally I playing

carreer mode, and time-to-time, after some new research, I make lifters for

10-20-50-100t payloads, but already tired to stock up many Rockomax fuel tanks

to get X tons of payload. Made it for myself, but shared to public.

How it works?

By the last update it's pretty easy (Thanks to Stupid_chris).

This part is functional just like an unmanned pod. So put this on your lifter in VAB,

right click on it, and you can open a simple gui to change mass, diameter and height.

Don't forget to apply changes before you close the UI.

MonoPropellant and ElectricCharge can be adjustable in normal way.

(by right clicking on part and move KSP original slider)

By adding MonoPropellant, it raises mass 0.4t by 100 unit.

(add monopropellant AFTER you set mass of part to avoid any kind of bug)

Additional informations

Carreer mode

If you playing career mode, you have to unlock this part in R&D facility in starter tech.

High payload

If you want to use it as 50t+ payload, it is recommended to use:

a) [thread=55657]Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod [/thread]

B) Additional struts to strenghten connection to other parts

(those ugly yellow "hooks" at the bottom of part made for this case)

nrap03.jpg

side_down.png

side_source1.pngside_source2.png

ALL OPINIONS, REVIEWS AND IDEAS ARE WELCOME!

Did you find it useful? Hard to use? Is it too ugly? Too complicated? Is it OK? Or awesome?

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]nrapsidebar2.png

side_credit.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

v1.3

- Now you're able to set mass from 0.01 to 1000t in textfield
- Slider to change diameter (0.625, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75 and 5m)
- Slider to change height multiplier
- Whole mod compressed into one single part, UI added by Stupid_chris

v1.2

(struts neccessary only at higher payloads)
- Ugly, but working extra surface added to pod for strutconnectors

v1.1

- reduced the max amount of payload in 0.625m and 1.25m versions to avoid weird
physics behaviour
- relating to overloaded-sinking bug, made part connection as strong as gameallows

Edited by kotysoft

Just downloaded and start messing around with them, very cool idea!

Any way we could get some different diameters? Like 0.625 and 1.25?

EDIT: Maybe even something along the lines of stretchy tanks? Change the weight, diameter, and height?

Edited by Rockstar04

additional CFG files (0.625 and 1.5m) are available for download, as you wish.

I intentionally don't zipped them into same compressed file because we already have 500+parts in VAB :) Take what you need.

Unfortunately streching it (like procedural fairings' adapter) needs plugin (dll), and I can't do that :(

---

EDIT: By the way 200tons in 0.625m x 1m object is a kind of "black hole" :)

EDIT2: Made a mistake in 0.625m POD. fixed NOW

EDIT3: Found another big mistake... Looks these part behaves weird under high payload. Working on fix

Edited by kotysoft

additional CFG files (0.625 and 1.5m) are available for download, as you wish.

I intentionally don't zipped them into same compressed file because we already have 500+parts in VAB :) Take what you need.

Unfortunately streching it (like procedural fairings' adapter) needs plugin (dll), and I can't do that :(

No worries, it was just an idea, and would drop you down to a single dummy load part. But thanks for the fast drop on the small size configs!!

Well... I made all parts as strong as game allows, but with 222t payload it is still "dancing", but softer, than before.

If you want to use with higher payloads, make sure you fixed these parts with strutconnectors to each other, and to other parts...

all files updated now

Hm, I like this.

Given KSP tweakables are not very precise, would you be interested into having a custom GUI window to adjust the part's mass? I can either try to teach you how to do it yourself and try my own implementation at it if you're interested :) Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Eitherway, awesome mod!

Cheers :)

Oh boy, now I can do dry tests of my various rocket series in RSS. No longer do I have to build expensive payloads to test my rockets, now I can launch a brick with an antenna on it to test the rocket's tonnage to orbit.

I mean, math is all fine and good, but it's nice to know the practical max tonnage instead of just the theoretical max tonnage, and then see your expensive and important payload plummet back to Kerbin in flames.

• 2 weeks later...

I used this mod to understand how to build first stage lifters. I say that, but I seem to always fail to account for the second stage.

Anyway. On to the NRAP.

First, I have a suggestion for a rename. Or maybe a nickname. Or what real kerbal engineers think NRAP stands for.

Not Really A Payload

Brilliant, huh!

Also, some comical things seem to happen when using the 'resize' slider. If the NRAP is connected to my ship, *all* of the parts of the ship are expanded outward uniformly. Come to think of it, it looks like a Hubble expansion! Unfortunately, I didn't get a screenshot of that side effect.

I did get a screenshot of another effect, however.

If you first disconnect the NRAP and then resize it, and reattach it...

nWirzdb.png

That's right. The launch point was somehow shifted 6000 meters into the air. Above the clouds even!

zalxT3q.png

I'm not totally sure this was caused by NRAP. Or perhaps interaction with the FASA towers. It was a hillarious outcome.

Perhaps someone should try out the resize and tell me if you have similar outcomes.

I would be interested in seeing a new part added to this mod that is an adjustable balance weight. Sometimes I run into problems with rocket design where I have parts that unbalance my rocket because it would be horribly redundant to have multiples, but you have to in order to maintain a centered CoM.

So a radial adjustable weight would be awesome!