inverting the motor in wheels?

Hi.

So I just landed a rover, everything is perfectly fine except 1 really small detail. When I press "W" it moves backwards. I got all the lights on the other side of a rover and I dont want to press S to accelerate.

Is there a way to fix this? I got unmoded version of the game

If you know your how to, you can edit the save file so that the probe core is facing the right way. If you don't know how to, unless you have a docking port at the front, you might just have to learn to drive backwards.

If you know your how to, you can edit the save file so that the probe core is facing the right way. If you don't know how to, unless you have a docking port at the front, you might just have to learn to drive backwards.

I could try that, what parameter should I look at?

Your command module is rotated by 180°. Rotate it by 180° and you won't have swapped de-/acceleration keys.

It easily happens in the SPH.

Already landed on EVE and it took me few hours, I really dont want to do it again, unless its a manned capsule

right click on a wheel to invert steering. has to be done for each wheel.

-snip-

That is not true. Invert steering switch the "a" with "d" key, so instead of turning left, that wheel will turn right. There is currently no way to invert forward and backward

That is not true. Invert steering switch the "a" with "d" key, so instead of turning left, that wheel will turn right. There is currently no way to invert forward and backward

... one moment ... testing ... yeah, you are right. Left and right keys are switched, but not forward/backward. Didn't know that it doesn't invert everything. Fortunately I never had to use it :)

If you have already built and deployed your rover, then you are stuck. I would say if you are thinking of going through the trouble to modify your save file, it's probably easier to create a fixed rover and send it to the launch pad. Then save your game and swap the position & orbit data between your deployed rover and your fixed rover. That's a bit easier than trying to manually rotate parts and reconnect the connection nodes in the code.

(BTW: Two thumbs up on the "invert your keyboard" comment. :D )

I don't think there's a 'legal' solution to this problem.

But in case you don't fear save file editing, you could try this.

You can either try to rotate the command pod or replace the whole rover.

Because I only know how to replace the whole rover I will explain this.

1. Build the rover that is intended to replace the rover on Eve. Give it a unique name, you need to find it later in a large text file. Eg. "ASD123".
  2. 'Launch' the rover, only the rover, and drive it a few meters off the Launch Pad / Runway without crashing it.
  3. Go to the rover on Eve and rename it to another unique name, eg. "FGH456". Since there might be some debris in space, the search term "Eve Rover" will also give you all the Eve Rover Debris flying around.
  4. Quicksave the game. Default key is F5
  5. Backup your quicksave (for the case something goes wrong). Go to your KSP game folder and change to the folder "saves". Go further down to your savegame folder and copy the quicksave.sfs. Rename it to quicksave.sfs.bak01 and confirm to change the file type.
  6. Open the quicksave.sfs with a text editor. Word isn't one. But Notepad or something similar will work.
  7. Create a text file for temporary storing for text.
  8. Search for your Eve rover's name in the quicksave.sfs (eg. FGH456). You will find something like this:

VESSEL
    {
    pid = afff6a7f8a514b87a4c56540845d31ab
    name = MiniSat A
    type = Probe
    sit = ESCAPING
    landed = False
    landedAt =
    splashed = False
    met = 63550671.1003956
    lct = 53969.3812729813
    root = 0
    lat = 0.779180045558451
    lon = -309.00380137068
    alt = 181128.231185001
    hgt = -1
    nrm = -0.04751907,0.2958718,-0.954045
    rot = 0.4977742,-0.5117725,-0.5049247,0.48514
    CoM = 0.04210614,0.3464407,0.003572175
    stg = 0
    prst = False
    ref = 0
    cPch = 0.1940001
    cHdg = 0.2120001
    cMod = 0
    ORBIT
    {
    SMA = -570604724.369696
    ECC = 1.00129576036951
    INC = 0.792640505002351
    LPE = 73.8460963105659
    LAN = 277.761788158176
    MNA = 1.59615850059067E-05
    EPH = 63604640.5016686
    REF = 1
    }
    PART
    {
    name = microEngine
    uid = 322117714

Copy anything from type = ... to REF = ... and paste it into that temporary text file

9. Search for your replacement rover (ASD123) and copy the same lines from it. Paste them into the temporary text file too. Don't get them confused.
  10. Replace the lines from the Eve Rover (FGH546) with the lines from the Replacement Rover (ASD123) and vice versa.
  11. Now you should have the orbital information of both rovers swapped.
  12. Save the quicksave.sfs and exit the text editor. The temporary text file isn't needed anymore and can be deleted without saving.
  13. Switch to KSP and load the quicksave (default key F9). Now the new rover should be where the old was and the old rover with the wrong alignment is now back on Kerbin
  14. Rename the rover on Eve back to what it was before. The rover on Kerbin is now free for whatever you want to do with it.
  15. Congratulations! You successfully "beamed" a rover onto Eve surface.

Couldn't you just do *right click* "control from here" on one of the forward-facing parts?

Yes, but you can only "control from here" on items that provide control, such as a probe core, command pod, docking port, occupied seat, etc.

Which I suppose means we've all been assuming the OP already tried that (or we assumed it only had one control device).

So valid point. If the rover was tested before launch and was driving the right way, then you should be able to go back to the original control unit and "control from here." If the rover was connected by a docking port, sometimes the navball latches onto the port.

Rover controls are a separate sub-menu on the game's settings screen. Just remap the keys. No need to edit files or anything elaborate like that.

Though of course that's a temporary fix, and a better response would be to figure out how to orient the control part during construction so that it behaves itself next time.

Oop, I see ScottyDoesKnow already suggested that. Anyway, I second the suggestion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.