Okay, Squad. Put a "1" down on your kill sheet!

Whackjob

I plan to at some point. I'll call that "expansion phase". Right now priority is in getting running again cheaply and quickly. :)

Tigerdirect has good memory I see. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7906489&CatId=4534 ~$80

Proc didn't have thermal paste, but you're right... I should've checked the sink box. Arctic Silver has a good rep... even I remember that name. Mounting brackets... definitely will need to get.

Bundle kit thing came with a 550W supply. Not stellar, but should be functional.

If I were you I would by a good well know branded PSU a quick google search should be enough proof

Not gonna lie. Been taking my old machine's parts and been comparing to the new parts I have on order... I can't believe how much more mmrph this newer machine will have in comparison to what I paid for the old one and what I'll have paid for this new one when done.

Technology is awesome.

#EDIT: Just down to memory. That can wait till Whack gets paid again. So I may be up and running again in about a week!

Edited by Whackjob

[Evil Laughter] Let's see if your new computer, once fully operational, can handle this thing...

28sm347.jpg

This, my friend, is V-GER. It is what the human probe Voyager became, a mind-bogglingly large, sentient starship capable of traveling around the galaxy. I dare you to even attempt it in KSP form.

I posted in a thread a while back about you trying to replicate this craft. I speculated a new form of the Kraken, the Whack Kraken, where all the planets cease to render and the ship just goes poof the second physics load.

This thing is probably several kilometers long... or larger. Maybe this shouldn't be attempted, as to spare Humanity and Kerbalkind from the unholy Kratanic destruction it would bring.

Can't go longer than 2.2km, regardless of computer. I have verified this personally. :)

But I will note its similarity with the Arkingthaad Nadir Lite.

a9zT1Fc.png

Even has the mid-fins...

#EDIT: See those pill-looking tanks around the top? Those are kethane tanks. The largest ones. About the size of the orange Rockomax 64s. For sense of scale.

Edited by Whackjob

ISTR there being a mod that increases the physics distance. Whether that actually lets you assemble bigger ships I don't know.

Memory Alpha lists V'Ger as 78 km long, while merzo.net gives 98 km.

So - 1/50 scale. Going by the 98 km length, 1/50th ends up at 1960 meters. Doable within physics distance.

I'll have to try this when I'm back up and running. Just got the hard drive cabling ordered. I've ground down all the necessities now. Only thing lacking for the moment is thermal paste and memory. So close! Payday week coming up, that'll let me get the rest of what I need. So back in a week maybe!

Out of curiosity, What did the old Whackputer have for specs? You said it was an Alienware M17, right? So probably some kind of i7, an nVidia graphics card in the high laptop range, at least 8 GB of DDR3-1600, and a HDD of 500-1000 GB and/or one or more SSDs and a 1080p screen?

That actually sounds a decent amount like my Sager laptop come to think of it... How did you manage to run 6 kilopart creations? I inevitably crash at anything over 1500 parts or so and get pretty seriously laggy if those are doing much. Is it just patience? Are you doing something that drastically lowers RAM usage? Are you running a near-stock KSP with next-to-no mods? Do you have a 64-bit version of KSP running somehow?

Out of curiosity, What did the old Whackputer have for specs? You said it was an Alienware M17, right? So probably some kind of i7, an nVidia graphics card in the high laptop range, at least 8 GB of DDR3-1600, and a HDD of 500-1000 GB and/or one or more SSDs and a 1080p screen?

That actually sounds a decent amount like my Sager laptop come to think of it... How did you manage to run 6 kilopart creations? I inevitably crash at anything over 1500 parts or so and get pretty seriously laggy if those are doing much. Is it just patience? Are you doing something that drastically lowers RAM usage? Are you running a near-stock KSP with next-to-no mods? Do you have a 64-bit version of KSP running somehow?

M17x. So it didn't even have an i3. One of those old core 2 quad duo things. 2.53Ghz clock. Had two graphics cards, which where GeForce 280Ms. 8GB RAM. Not high end at all.

I would have to ascribe most of my success to sheer tenacity, patience, and ample stupidity.

Whack-work-week complete. Will be offline again for two days. Expecting Monday to receive three items: Mouse, video card, cables for hard drives. This will leave the new Whackputer complete excepting RAM. Payday comes later this week, and I expect to have that squared away this Thursday. Will probably grudgingly pay for faster shipping.

Internets withdrawal getting tiresome.

See you this Wednesday!

I have forgotten to upload the photos. Will be done very very soon and I also got a xonar dx sound card for my hd 280 professional headphones.

More importantly:

Midair refueling is finally achieved. xoknight used my sr-72 in the first ever military refueling docking run.

We will develop it even more over at my labs.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73434-SR-72-Phoenix-Goldbird-xoknight-Midair-Refueling-FULLY-ACHIEVED-Prototype-Labs

Edited by andrew123

Hey Whackjob, I just submitted a small amount to put toward what's left for your PC build! I'm not made of money and I do have a wedding coming up (expensive affair, let me tell you!), but everyone should have the gaming rig they deserve. :)

Only request is: if you're serious about a tattoo, that you share the design you go with. I'm considering getting a few tattoos myself, and a KSP-inspired design could be amazing, especially if it's something the KSP community begins sharing. Otherwise, just do a streaming event for the community (if feasible). Everyone loves your work!

Don't get frustrated if the PC build doesn't work on the first power-on. I hate that suspenseful moment and the troubleshooting that follows when it doesn't work right away.

Tattoo-wise? I think if one were to do a KSP inspired tattoo, it'd probably have to be Jeb, striking a dramatic pose on the Mun, with his landing craft turned to scrap in a new crater behind him. The label on the bottom would read, "STILL COUNTS."

Video card arrived today. Finally! Just before I committed to the arduous trek I must do in order to office, the delivery folks helpfully dropped of the box at the wrong house halfway down the block. It's finally here!

Now I'm down to memory, and whatever cables I need to make the solid state hard drives from the old laptop work in this new machine. Payday's tomorrow, and I've carefully maneuvered the budget around to allow me to pick those up in exchange for a few days of Ramen. Old hat, man, old hat.

... might be up as soon as this weekend! Now the main question to me, is, Windows 8? Or some flavor of Linux?

I did use Win8 on the old laptop before a particularly slow launch burnt up my processor. And I used it for a year. I will say this; Win8 don't deserve the majority of the hate it gets. Yes, metro is a colossal pain in the arse, but it's worth having just for the sheer number of improvements under the hood. The difference between 7 and 8 while gaming is *noticeable*.

Hey Whackjob, I just submitted a small amount to put toward what's left for your PC build! I'm not made of money and I do have a wedding coming up (expensive affair, let me tell you!), but everyone should have the gaming rig they deserve. :)

Thank you, sir! Though I feel I should add that I'm almost up and running, so I feel I should stress that donations, while absolutely appreciated, aren't really necessary at this point. I've got the rest of the machine budgeted out and figured out!

... excepting the mystery of connecting laptop SSD drives to my SATA plugs. Still working on figuring out that.

I'd choose either Win7 or Ubuntu. If you will be playing something that doesn't support Linux, it's Win7. Otherwise, definitely Linux. It allows 64-bit KSP. Otherwise, dual-boot?

I tried Ubuntu once on the old laptop. Due to its infuriating proprietary design, it made using anything but Windows severely difficult. But while I did have it running, I have to say I enjoyed it. I may very well make this new Whackputer an Ubuntu machine.

I have next to no Linux experience. And there's one good way of remedying that, isn't there? :D

Edited by Whackjob

Thank you, sir! Though I feel I should add that I'm almost up and running, so I feel I should stress that donations, while absolutely appreciated, aren't really necessary at this point. I've got the rest of the machine budgeted out and figured out!

Grab some replacement ramen noodles, on me, then. :D

... excepting the mystery of connecting laptop SSD drives to my SATA plugs. Still working on figuring out that.

Oh! Note that those hard drives might have adapters on their ends to fit the connections in the laptop. You may need to use a screwdriver or thin edge to pop off the adapter to expose the standard SATA connection beneath. I'm trying to find a picture to describe what I mean...

EDIT: Like the adapter being sold on this page:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING-Laptop-Hard-Drive-Connector-for-2PCS-HP-Pavilion-DV6000-DV9000-SATA-New-High-Quality/828249524.html

scroll down to see front/back images. This happens to be one that fits Dell laptops, so maybe(?) you have something similar attached to the drives you removed.

Side note: I'm not a big fan of aliexpress (good place to get scammed), I just landed there from a google image search.

Edited by JumpsterG

Oh! Note that those hard drives might have adapters on their ends to fit the connections in the laptop. You may need to use a screwdriver or thin edge to pop off the adapter to expose the standard SATA connection beneath. I'm trying to find a picture to describe what I mean...

My mind asplode. Those do indeed look like the connectors I saw on the drives! They didn't look like they could be removed, but I wasn't really looking for something like that. I will reexamine tonight. If there's actual sata connectors under, that'd save me a lot of time and trouble! Thank you for the information!

I'm really sorry that I couldn't pitch in, barely makin a living with school and all. I hope that's fine :(

It's all good, brother. I've been there also. I'll split my Ramen with ya!

Yay, free food :-) (except for the fact that I'd have to fly to the states but oh well)

I'm really glad that you'll be back in kraken-summoning shape soon. I think I speak for the entire community (at least most of it) when I say that you are very awesome, can light up the darkest of days and you really, really make this community a better place.

Btw, let's put this in a dictionary:

Whackjobing - Verb. - To madly overdo something in the most spectacular of ways

I'm really glad that you'll be back in kraken-summoning shape soon. I think I speak for the entire community (at least most of it) when I say that you are very awesome, can light up the darkest of days and you really, really make this community a better place.

Btw, let's put this in a dictionary:

Whackjobing - Verb. - To madly overdo something in the most spectacular of ways

I second this motion.

Also, if you're not going to eat his half ramen, I'm in the states. That an open ended offer? :wink: