Exotic Vessels [redone]

Bipedal walker, no rcs, 4 sas modules. The easy part of putting it together is mostly done, now I'm working turning the clunky and slow static walk into an optimised dynamic walk. I'm using a script to automate the walking motion, I'm at 5 or 6 servo groups now, just for walking, plus I need to help out manually with sas torque to help it balance. Eventually all this will also be automated and operating the walker will be no different than driving a rover.

I'm really interested in the script!, how do you do it?, any mod? ^^

I'm submitting the Spider for now. All stock high-standing octopod lander capable of reaching the Mun and Minmus. Handles up to about 15 degree slopes without issue as long as you touch down gently enough.

http://imgur.com/a/btH3m

I could probably make an interplanetary version but wanted to just do a quick test launch and see if this seemed "exotic" enough to you.

This version is 236 parts on the pad, but 32 of those are struts or launch supports.

Hmmm.Yeah, it does meet requirements, but, the only award it would achieve is Valid Entry.

Edit: I've added the Lunar Achievement, in which if it can make it to the Mun/Minmus and back, you earn it.

you didn't specify if it could, though.

Anyway, on another added note, your vessel has made bare minimum requirements. If the vessel was more spider like in the sense that the "legs" were angled differently, then it would be d more exotic vessel. Just goes to show how simple one could be. One small change is enough. I'll keep that in mind, and I hope others do as well.

Edited by SeventhArchitect

sorry SeventhArchitect!, Mr Roboto has 142 pieces, I can't tell you the mass, its bugged due to those reactor engines from B9... I don't know why!, I can't even see the CoM.

Anyway, about the Lunar Archivement:

It's a modified version of Mr Roboto. It has 279 pieces with the lifter stage :)

I've gone to my 9th rocket. Rocket IX. This rocket sends a Kerbal to orbit Kerbol, then has enough fuel to send it back to Kerbin shortly after. Unfortunately, trying to send a probe to another planet isn't successful, science wise. I do nothing but science missions. Minmus is a good provider.

Ok, I hope I linked the images correctly, but these are my semi-exotic crafts. One of them uses rapier jet engines as rocket boosters to put the whole fuel tank with NERVA engine up into orbit without having to modify it in any way. This rocket is the base for a spacecraft that holds 9 kerbels, and has massive solar panels, which look cool but are wholly unnecessary, which will very soon be making a tour of the solar system thanks to the Kethane mod. The rapier engines use very little fuel under 18-20km, but just guzzel it once switched over to oxidizer use. The second craft is kind of a rocket powered motorcycle, lander, helicopter contraption thingy. Best to use mecjeb with that one, I am still trying to land it onto the heli pad at the kerbel space center manually, but the controls are just all wrong, right left=up, down, or down up?, up,down=right left, or left right?. Rotate is yaw, so its the only thing even close to intuitive about this thing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by patfree14094
Trying to fix pictures

Ok, I hope I linked the images correctly, but these are my semi-exotic crafts. One of them uses rapier jet engines as rocket boosters to put the whole fuel tank with NERVA engine up into orbit without having to modify it in any way. This rocket is the base for a spacecraft that holds 9 kerbels, and has massive solar panels, which look cool but are wholly unnecessary, which will very soon be making a tour of the solar system thanks to the Kethane mod. The rapier engines use very little fuel under 18-20km, but just guzzel it once switched over to oxidizer use. The second craft is kind of a rocket powered motorcycle, lander, helicopter contraption thingy. Best to use mecjeb with that one, I am still trying to land it onto the heli pad at the kerbel space center manually, but the controls are just all wrong, right left=up, down, or down up?, up,down=right left, or left right?. Rotate is yaw, so its the only thing even close to intuitive about this thing.

These are not exotic. It just looks like you slapped something together that doesn't exactly look like a rocket (entirely). You don't have enough detail for it to be exotic. A written part of what exotic is, is (and I am quoting this from the challenge itself), "In KSP terms, when building, an exotic ship would be either complicated, or very complex." First paragraph.

I mean, that first pic, the idea of a rapier LFO drive for a larger vessel would be nice, but besides that, I can't see any of this making qualifications.

(actually, who am I kidding, it barely holds one Kerbal...)

2048x1280.resizedimage

(on our way to the Mun after a little on-orbit refuelling)

2048x1280.resizedimage

(Yes, every bit as difficult to fly as it looks...)

2048x1280.resizedimage

Launch configuration isn't exactly canon :)

2048x1280.resizedimage

Info:

Semi-Stock (actually fully stock with the sole addition of MechJeb... I can't live without the warp helper :cool: )

Launch configuration:

730 Parts

980.275 tons

15MN thrust

1.56 TWR

On-Orbit configuration:

465 Parts

143 tons

1050 kN thrust

0.75 TWR (from Kerbin)

Download

Is a runway launched Basic Jet assisted asparagus without landing gear that can flyby the mun, exotic enough for this contest?

It was done in carear mode (with FAR) to get enough science to unlock turbo jets. Required Science Tech, Aerodynamics, and Fuel systems.

GKRGq5p.png

aIrRNno.png

With a few extra batteries, I was able to get munar slingshots for Solar science, and even a few Minmus flybies.

Edited by Rakaydos

(actually, who am I kidding, it barely holds one Kerbal...)

Info:

Semi-Stock (actually fully stock with the sole addition of MechJeb... I can't live without the warp helper :cool: )

Launch configuration:

730 Parts

980.275 tons

15MN thrust

1.56 TWR

On-Orbit configuration:

465 Parts

143 tons

1050 kN thrust

0.75 TWR (from Kerbin)

I'll be strictly honest, I highly doubt you made this. There are currently three known KSP Millenium Falcons to date, though. This one being the third, some other guy's humongous one being the first, and that guy who supposedly used ubiozur's welding mod to make his. But, as unwritten as it may be, replicas are not appliable to this. Your applied vessel must be completely original. Though, this rule is flexible.

Dude, if you made this ship solely so you could submit it here, then dude, your luck must be horrible.

But the good news about this, is that if you did make this vessel, even though it's not qualifiable, you can easily make your own original work. It shouldn't be too hard.

Is a runway launched Basic Jet assisted asparagus without landing gear that can flyby the mun, exotic enough for this contest?

It was done in carear mode (with FAR) to get enough science to unlock turbo jets. Required Science Tech, Aerodynamics, and Fuel systems.

http://i.imgur.com/GKRGq5p.png

http://i.imgur.com/aIrRNno.png

With a few extra batteries, I was able to get munar slingshots for Solar science, and even a few Minmus flybies.

You're like, the fifth person to post something because it is a good vessel to use to get to other places. As said just under the title, "Aesthetics first, safety last." There is no real aesthetics application here. It just looks slightly cool.

On a personal opinion, though, I am insulted that you'd name this "Puddle Jumper." Thats like being the biggest noob in the world. If you don't understand why, then you probably shouldn't even show your face in public until you figure out what a puddle jumper is, because, dude, again, thats insulting. Like, saying, "Justin Bieber is the most manliest man to walk the planet, and his songs are manly", insulting.

What about this one then? It's a VTOL liquid rocket aircraft. It uses infernal rocketry parts to rotate the engines, which provides forward. up, down, and backwards controls. Otherwise, it takes a while to build up speed since staying at an altitude above crashing is usually a better alternative than flying into solid ground, however I have gone as fast as roughly 400m/s in it. There's a slight chance the craft can return the Kerbel safely, but that's unlikely since the fuel tanks are made with tupperware containers.

It contains 51 parts

4025 Delta-V in the atmosphere, 4442 delta-V in space

TWR 1.09 Max TWR 4.48

each engine puts out 120 kn of thrust

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'll be strictly honest, I highly doubt you made this. There are currently three known KSP Millenium Falcons to date, though. This one being the third, some other guy's humongous one being the first, and that guy who supposedly used ubiozur's welding mod to make his. But, as unwritten as it may be, replicas are not appliable to this. Your applied vessel must be completely original. Though, this rule is flexible.

Dude, if you made this ship solely so you could submit it here, then dude, your luck must be horrible.

But the good news about this, is that if you did make this vessel, even though it's not qualifiable, you can easily make your own original work. It shouldn't be too hard.

That's unfortunate. This is simply another take on the falcon design. (actually, it's the 4th version). If you look at the others by Space Cowboy, Mutant Hero and Hahb, you will see they are quite different (usually much larger), and don't use external boosters (and in general are much more accurate than mine is)

Utimately, I doubt there is anything I could say that would convince you that this version was built by me. but fortunately I didn't build it especially for this.

Although you might want to update the rules to say variations of craft that are in the spaceport are not allowed...

Ok SeventhArchitect, beware of my new creation.... a pod racer!!

I was working on it for several days..., when I was feeling like the most original ever, I found that there was a challenge about making one, then I got some feedback there, and finished my design..., it works, lands (HARD) and looks AWESOME ^^

I'm making a video of it in the next few days, but for now, here's a screenshot!:

H71i7hp.jpg

And a little gif:

http://gfycat.com/OddballSimplisticHamster

Patfree, yours has not made qualifications. VTOL isn't exactly that exciting, even when it was first discovered as a good idea. Though, if you do make it a vtol vehicular that looks exotic, then go ahead, post it here. In relation, sorry.

M1sz, Man, you are just killin' it. You've submitted, like, several, and you are on a roll, but this is a replica, mah dude. Replicas are not allowed.

Edited by SeventhArchitect

"Roller Derby" Low-Gravity Science Exploration vessel for people with short attention spans who've gotten sick of paying attention to where their rover is driving.

rojzf1m.jpg

It's just a mobile processing lab with a command pod and one of each science instrument, plus two large SAS. Mounted radially are struts and impact resistant landing gear.

No motors, rockets or RCS. It moves by reaction wheel spinning. Just turn on SAS, set something heavy on the Q or E keys and let it roll off across the Mun. It sorta mostly goes in the same-ish direction. Go make a sandwich. Check every once in a while and maybe it'll have reached a new biome.

Repeat until you forget that KSP is running and you leave the little guys spinning up and down craters.

The crew of this thing drew the short straw, naturally.

Edited by gchristopher

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.