Project Gateway: ISS recreation at 60% scale

Felbourn

Great question.

A "part" is usually composed of three pieces:

* model files

* textures

* config file

You need the models. If those are missing then your part will not appear at all.

You don't need the texture is you have a replacement or if you want it to intentionally appear white/missing.

You don't need the config file.

So what this means is "no, you don't need the part you're welding" after you're done welding, but you do need its models and usually want its textures.

• 2 months later...
Great question.

A "part" is usually composed of three pieces:

* model files

* textures

* config file

You need the models. If those are missing then your part will not appear at all.

You don't need the texture is you have a replacement or if you want it to intentionally appear white/missing.

You don't need the config file.

So what this means is "no, you don't need the part you're welding" after you're done welding, but you do need its models and usually want its textures.

aha okee now i get it, didnt saw it, sorry for the late reaction,

and i may have a idea for the odessy project, can you build the mir into it as the new space station??

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 months later, here's how Project Gateway episode 1 has fared...

Damn... 222k minutes is 154 days straight!

Click to begin the playlist.

http://i.imgur.com/zAE5quk.png

Or click to just begin episode 1.

http://youtu.be/eRDFvWi8O14

Wow, I think I was one of those stats, I only started watching this series a month or so ago, finished, and just started watching Project Odyssey yesterday!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Am I totally insane for thinking that when Project Alexandria does the ISS that I could do "Gateway" all over again in Real Solar System at full scale and with perfect detailing, mass, and so on?

No way! You might even...at least...consider using the Bobcat ISS Community Pack and Mir Pack then!

• 3 months later...
Bob, I was wondering if you would be fine if I made my own version of Gateway on my youtube channel.

I hold no copyright on the idea of building an ISS in KSP. ;) You may build whatever you like, as long as you include struts, SRBs, science, and snacks.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bob, I'm trying to track down those really huge solar panels that you used for the KSS. I know I had them at one point but I searched through so many mod packs that now I'm more lost than before. lol

BTW, I'm really loving all your videos. Thanks for entertaining me all weekend :)

Yup, got those as well. I spent most of yesterday getting a new KSP copy mod ready. I have most of the Near Future Parts installed. There's so many amazing mods, its difficult to keep the part list from becoming overwhelming :)

I'm making a new install as well called Project Genesis... new Kerbal life from lifelessness. I'm facing the same issue. I'm getting around the problem by trimming what I will never use, but also by using the Filter Extensions mod and creating lots of custom filters.

I'm making a new install as well called Project Genesis... new Kerbal life from lifelessness.

Does this involve giving Tylo an atmosphere by firing a probe into the surface? If so, you may want to put some your crews through my Kerbahashi Maru simulator first :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

With Project Ares now in production for "mini-season 2" there are no new episodes. Project Gateway was made before I had better sound quality and tighter editing. Do you think it would be interesting to see a "remastered" Gateway with better sound and editing? They'd be 20x easier to make than Ares episodes and so I could at least show something now and then instead of nothing for several weeks.

Better sound and shiny graphics are awesome, but my favourite part of all the video series is seeing how you (and the Kerbals) overcome technical challenges as KSP spits them out!  Would you have to re-recreate launches to capture the new footage? And would this mean we loose the spontaneity of the first-edition series?

This will be another learning experience for me. I'll be learning how to keep what made it fun the first time while still tightening up the parts that were less interesting, and while adding even more quality content. I'm sure I'll get better at it as time goes by, and by listening to viewer feedback. There will be no new launches, but I might change interludes.

Anyway, here's the first one. I have ideas about how to add/change content for the 2nd mission. I think this first one already taught me some good lessons.

Second video is up, and... it's good! :D 

My fears of the re-master loosing the original's charm were completely misplaced, plus I'm really liking the retrospective commentary! I think the new series really speaks to all of us who have restarted many (manymany..) careers and have improved over time due to our mistakes, but still look fondly upon those silly errors. Keep up the good work! :)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.