Woopert's RSS Replicas - SLS Blocks I and II, Saturn V

Woopert's RSS Replicas

So yeah, these are my most prized RSS creations. All of them are 100% full scale and as accurate as possible. This includes properly sized fuel tanks, based off of available data from NASA and Wikipedia (and I account for engine size when calculating the size), proper burn times for SRBs, and as much detail as I can find. These are mod crafts of course, since it's RSS, and because of the amazing realism of Real Solar System and associated mods, like RealEngines, the stats are quite accurate to the associated rockets. So without further ado, pictures and download links below! :)

Space Launch System Block I - with Orion MPCV

Download: http://www./download/3hp4jhnb2izf4m2/Orion+MPCV+Block+I.craft

(the actual craft doesn't have the cover fro the LES, it was causing issues)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Space Launch System Block II - with Orion MPCV

Download: http://www./download/d3jojwap0jbgh0x/Orion+MPCV+Block+II.craft

Space Launch System Block II Pyrios Boosters (F-1B engines) - with Orion MPCV

Download: http://www./download/ypu3hszy1kop7jo/Orion+MPCV+Block+II+Pyrios.craft

Saturn V - with Lunar Excursion Module from FASA (LEM) - inspired by SFJackBauer to do this!

Download: http://www./download/5jhn5yc8fqfjffu/Saturn+V+Apollo+2.craft

Mods:

Real Solar System - by NathanKell

Realism Overhaul - by NathanKell

Real Engines - by SFJackBauer

Real Fuels by NathanKell, ialdabaoth, and contributions from Chestburster, Starwaster, and taniwha

Deadly Reentry Continued by NathanKell, ialdabaoth, based off of r4mons original

Stretchy SRB by NathanKell and AncientGammoner

Ferram Aerospace Research - not required to load but required for Realism Overhaul - by ferram4

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - not required to load but HIGHLY recommended, warranty void if not used with these - by ferram4

Procedural Fairings by e-dog

blackheart612's textures by blackheart612

KW Rocketry (for Saturn V only) - by Winston and Kickasskyle

AIES Aerospace by carmics

Hakari's F-1 engines by 1096bimu

FASA (for Saturn V only) by frizzank and DennyTX

Space Shuttle Engines (SLS only) - by dtobi

RLA Stockalike Alternative Models by hoojiwana

Kerbal Engineer Redux - by cybutek

RealChutes by stupid_chris

Sumghai Sum Dum Service Module (custom rescale, will post settings) - by sumghai

Custom Mk1-2 pod (will post tutorial for that below) - modified Squad part

Edited by Woopert

Rescaling the Sum Dum Service Module - It is already rescaled by default with Realism Overhaul to 4 meters, but this is the Orion pod we're trying to make, so we're going to rescale it some more. I have already done the math, so all you need to do is edit the values in the CFG, where it says "rescaleFactor". I will list them below. :)

Heatshield - 2.5

Service Module - 2.5

Service Module Adapter - 2.5

There are more parts in the pack but these are all that need to be rescaled for these ships.

----------

Now, for the Mk1-2 pod.

Navigate to GameData\Squad\Parts\Command\Mk1-2Pod

Now, copy and paste that folder into the parts folder. It should rename it to "Mk1-2 Pod - copy". I renamed it to "Mk1-2 Pod 5m," but I don't think the name for the folder really matters (please correct me if I'm wrong, I just renamed it this for remembering).

Now, go into the folder and open part.cfg. Edit the rescaleFactor to 2. Save the file and run KSP. There should be a new pod that is sized to 5m. Also, under General Parameters, change the name to "Mark1-2Pod Orion CM"

However, there are no Realism Overhaul configs for it because it's not specified in the Module Manager CFG (IIRC). This is fine for our purposes, though. It just means it will have a slightly unrealistic amount of torque and other values for it's monopropellant and such, I think. I'm not the best at this sort of stuff but by following these steps the craft should be able to load. :)

Edited by Woopert

Those are really nice and useful. Are you gonna use them for an ARM once .24 comes out?

BTW, does RSS cause any significant lag? I'm planning on getting the whole bundle (RT, real fuels, TAC...), but I don't want to download the whole thing and kill my computer.

I can already play with a lot of mods, but I guess the resized planets -and textures- will have some impact on performance.

Those are really nice and useful. Are you gonna use them for an ARM once .24 comes out?

BTW, does RSS cause any significant lag? I'm planning on getting the whole bundle (RT, real fuels, TAC...), but I don't want to download the whole thing and kill my computer.

I can already play with a lot of mods, but I guess the resized planets -and textures- will have some impact on performance.

There's not too much lag but I get crashes every once in a a while. I'll be playing for 45 minutes or so and it runs out of memory or something. It's really fun and nice though, many thanks to NathanKell and all the other modders who made it possible. And thanks for the reply, btw. :)

Very nice :) Does block 2 manage to deliver 130 tons with the reduced TWR?

I think the exact configuration of block 2 isn't decided. There is the possibility that they will go with the 4x F-1B booster setup, which would provide more thrust than the solid booster. Maybe that would solve the thrust problem?

There's not too much lag but I get crashes every once in a a while. I'll be playing for 45 minutes or so and it runs out of memory or something. It's really fun and nice though, many thanks to NathanKell and all the other modders who made it possible. And thanks for the reply, btw. :)

Those lag issues will be solved when the rocket gets a redesign when the ARM patch is out.

Very nice :) Does block 2 manage to deliver 130 tons with the reduced TWR?

I think the exact configuration of block 2 isn't decided. There is the possibility that they will go with the 4x F-1B booster setup, which would provide more thrust than the solid booster. Maybe that would solve the thrust problem?

Yeah you're right, in 2015 however we will know what boosters they're using. I think I'm going to make a new version with the F-1B engines. TWR isn't an issue at liftoff with the SRBs, it's after they seperate. I had to drain some of the core stage fuel (which I did with Block I for TWR and it had TOO much Delta-v) to get it to have a 0.9 TWR after booster sep. Perhaps the F-1B setup will burn longer and allow for more fuel to drain, thus giving the core stage a higher TWR. :)

Those lag issues will be solved when the rocket gets a redesign when the ARM patch is out.

I know, I'm looking forwards to the ARM pack and I assume all of us KSP players are as well. :)

Block II with Pyrios Boosters (dual F-1B engines per booster) complete. Pictures and download in main post soon. :)

Not sure if the dimensions are correct, but I found a PDF from NASA Spaceflight forums for the width. For the height I guessed based off of the width in the image. Going to link to the PDF.

Also, not sure if it lifts more than the standard SRBs. In real life the Pyrios boosters are supposed to bring another 20 metric tons into orbit.

Edited by Woopert

I use the RSS mod with all the mods listed in my sig no lag or really crashes. But I also have the texture reduction plugin, and it helps a lot! Max I hit is about 2.95gb of RAM.

Excellent job on these!

Thanks Nathan!

Oh, and Saturn V update. Switched out the FASA S-IVB tank with a custom sized Stretchy Tank. The FASA tank is properly sized usually (in standard size KSP), but with RSS it was rescaled to be full scale. I.e., I believe the S-IVB in FASA is usually 3.75 m, but in RSS it has all been sized to exact full scale, throwing off the fairings and such.

So this resulted in the fairing having some space underneath, which made the tank too long. I've compromised and adjusted for that extra space and also measured the J-2 mount to give a size to the new tank that scales it approximately to the real S-IVB (as close as possible). Pic below :) Oh, and SLS F-1B Pyrios boosters revisions on the way. They've actually been made already, just need to get around to posting the new downloads and pics!

Ux2FAGL.png

DL for Saturn V has been updated! :)

Change: new custom S-IVB stage. The FASA one appeared too big because of the SLA panels, they had some excess space at the bottom. So I've compromised and made a new one, using some very simple math of various parts, and calculated how big the fuel tank should be. It's also lighter but there is still about 4000 m/s of Delta-V left in the stage. DL in main post. :)

For the Saturn V, how did you attach the interstage (procedural fairing) to the service module? I see you're covering up the SM engine bell, so I'm assuming the top of the fairing isn't attached to anything? Do you have the engine bell just attached to the LM docking port either directly or via a decoupler?

I've recreated the Saturn V many times with procedural fairings and stretchy tanks, but that's the one part that annoys me... how to attach the interstage fairings to the SM. I've come up with pain in the butt solutions to make it look like the real thing, but I was wondering if there was an elegant method that I'm missing.

For the Saturn V, how did you attach the interstage (procedural fairing) to the service module? I see you're covering up the SM engine bell, so I'm assuming the top of the fairing isn't attached to anything? Do you have the engine bell just attached to the LM docking port either directly or via a decoupler?

I've recreated the Saturn V many times with procedural fairings and stretchy tanks, but that's the one part that annoys me... how to attach the interstage fairings to the SM. I've come up with pain in the butt solutions to make it look like the real thing, but I was wondering if there was an elegant method that I'm missing.

Sorry for the late reply, the interstage is attached automatically with the shrouds. Use the H key to adjust the height distance between the ring and the attachment node. When the fairings are attached it should automatically be attached with the fairings connected to the Apollo spacecraft. (or any other spacecraft being used :))

So, the engine bell is not attached to the LEM. It's floating above it thanks to Procedural Fairings. Have a nice day! :)

Sorry for the late reply, the interstage is attached automatically with the shrouds. Use the H key to adjust the height distance between the ring and the attachment node. When the fairings are attached it should automatically be attached with the fairings connected to the Apollo spacecraft. (or any other spacecraft being used :))

So, the engine bell is not attached to the LEM. It's floating above it thanks to Procedural Fairings. Have a nice day! :)

Thanks for the reply. I actually found out I need to fiddle with the J key to increase the extra height. I can't believe I didn't know that before. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the reply. I actually found out I need to fiddle with the J key to increase the extra height. I can't believe I didn't know that before. Thanks for your help!

If your building stock you can eliminate the stock fairings that are applied automatically by using my method here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43086-Open-Source-Construction-Techniques-for-Craft-Aesthetics?p=985631&highlight=fairing#post985631

MJ

• 4 months later...
are these sls builds being updated etc

I'll update them soon! Once Aerojet Kerbodyne is updated I'll be fixing them up. Realism Overhaul now includes re-scaled SLS and Orion parts so it's much easier and much more accurate. :) Stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.