Cockpit view only landings, have you done it?

Renaissance0321

I've done a few cockpit-view landings in my time, yes. Once I kinda cheated and had the landing vessel's cockpit be an upside-down cupola module. It was so easy that it kind of made me wonder why we don't build our landers in real life so that you can see straight down as well as laterally.

I've done a full IVA rocket mission,with the help of the KER and Glass panel's mod(Don't remember the name :/) and I love to fly around with my small little jet in IVA around KSC(playing chicken with the VAB XD ).

I always land all my landers in IVA mode. Having the radar altimeter and vertical speed indicator is just so useful to me, once you get used to them you don't even need lights to land in the dark. Even when it's a parachute landing, I like watching from the Kerbal's point of view.

If you liked landing in IVA, try making a ship that allows you to dock from IVA mode. Once you get in the range of the magnetic force between the ports, you realize that docking two ships in KSP is a much more violent procedure than in real life :D

With mods to give an IVA view to the MK2 cockpit, as well as using the lovely stock MK1 cockpit, I have landed many a plane in IVA. Even gently touched down on the runway with my trainer and did a nice taxi-roll off the runway to park next to the Vehicle Assembly Building.

Want a fun challenge? Take off, fly to the island runway, land, take off, fly back to KSC, and land on the runway all in IVA view. It's possible, I've done it, but it can suck if you're not used to the very limited IVA views.

Also used mod cockpits to get other views. Firespitter helicopter cockpits are awesome IVA Practice cockpits.

I've done an IVA landing with pure stock parts, it's actually easier than non-IVA when you're on the dark side of a planet. I also switch into IVA mode to check altitude.
same here, has even done iva landings in the mk1 pod or blind.

Pancake lander so anyplace works

Some of the cokpits have radar altimeter anyway. I've done a few, though I find that landing planes is a heck of a lot easier for me than landing a rocket using IVA.

I just wish the Kerbals weren't so short that they could see over the dashboard! very hard to do a slight pitch up landing to reduce speed, as you lose sight of the horizon! :confused:

I just wish the Kerbals weren't so short that they could see over the dashboard! very hard to do a slight pitch up landing to reduce speed, as you lose sight of the horizon! :confused:

Double-click your cockpit's main window in IVA view and you'll get a higher-up perspective

I've always wanted to do an entire mission from IVA, but the instrumentation seems far too limited. Even for landing, really, though I never tried it with one of the advanced pods. KSP also needs the ability to place cameras on a vessel, which could bring up a display screen in IVA. But I think the devs have said they won't ever be adding additional views.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.