Unity 5 [Is now available]

(ksp players) do you think ksp should be ported to unity 5?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. (ksp players) do you think ksp should be ported to unity 5?

did SQUAD post something about it already?

If they even want to update to unity 5?

is there any note form a dev about this?

Yes, the devs have stated that they're keeping an eye on Unity 5. They haven't committed to switching to it, which is wise considering that even the Unity devs have stated that in regards to PhysX-based physics, Unity 5 is not a drop-in replacement for previous versions of Unity. On the other hand, they haven't ruled it out either. Given that they've regularly updated Unity lately, I suspect that the decision will be cost vs reward, as in how much work will be involved in the switch compared to how much benefit will be gained. Note that the Unity devs have also admitted that not all Unity-based games will show strong benefits from the new physics system, though almost all should show some. Some people more knowledgeable about PhysX than I have claimed that KSP would be in the group of games that wouldn't show strong benefit. As I understand it, it all depends on how PhysX breaks down groups of connected objects for simulation, and PhysX may not be able to break down craft into more than one lump of parts that have to be calculated sequentially.

Yeah, they send a direct jib at the KSP devs in the video at around min 13 :D Something on the lines of "If KSP used Unity 5 , the problems they have with tall rockets would disapear" ...

But TBH I would like that the devs first would actually use unity 4 fully. For a example, multiscreen :D

Edited by r_rolo1

Wait, so this DOESN'T have multithreading at all? Only physx? So when WILL multithreading be added (physx is a gpu thing)?

The new version of PhysX should be multithreaded. I don't know enough about it to say for sure but it sounds like that's the gist of it.

Wait, so this DOESN'T have multithreading at all? Only physx? So when WILL multithreading be added (physx is a gpu thing)?

PhysX is a CPU or GPU thing. Game developers wouldn't want to lock themselves out of a large portion of the market by making game that ONLY ran with nVidia cards. The CPU physics code in PhysX 3.X is a bit faster even when not multithreaded, and much faster if it can multithread the physics simulation, though I've heard differing stories on how likely it is that KSP will be able to multithread the physics code.

Frankly, that one little bit of information was better than everything I've heard about 0.25 combined (Unity 5 isn't released yet, so there's just about no chance that 0.25 will use it).

Speedtree for Unity 5 - So, uhh, take that terrain scatter

What the, oh thread merge, well OK then!

----

Frankly, that one little bit of information was better than everything I've heard about 0.25 combined (Unity 5 isn't released yet, so there's just about no chance that 0.25 will use it).

Maxmaps did say migrating to Unity 5 is high on Squad's wishlist/priorities during the last Squadcast, peachy-keen!

So as a person who has an AMD gpu (actually ATI:confused:), any ideas on what would happen if I installed PhysX on the CPU for KSP? (Intel i5-2300 2.80 GHz)

KSP won't use separately installed PhysX (PhysX 3.X isn't a drop in replacement for PhysX 2.X). Once KSP is upgraded to use Unity 5, then you'll get CPU physics that should be at least a bit better, and may even be able to use all the cores.

I really would like to see some profiler output, a lot of people talk about cards, 64 bit and multithreading but in such away that show nobody knows and dont think of the effort involved in fixing it. By not knowing the major bottleneck the community will be devided, instead of taking some things ( higher ram because of format, loading everything at ones, and other alpha developing topics ) for granted, and hopefully ( well I've been here long enough...:) ) understand the huge work needed for changing from an old unity to the next.

Most people thinking 64 bit will increase performance with a lot, will be disapointed, but will be happy with a lot more mods :)

Edited by MSD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't like to do double post, but i just finish to test the GI on Unity 5 Realtime, and some Post visual render effects.

Man, that will be marvellous...

KSP must have this...

(for the ones that would say, no that will broke my machine, lower fps, etc, remember, this is in the video board processor)

15752284937_4bc3d02b3a_o.pngGI Realtime Unity 5 by Climberfx, on Flickr

Global illumination (GI), for static objects, but dynamic light. You can say defuse reflexion. I say Radiosity, the light bounce on objects and reflect it's colors/textures...

But in this frame i put other posts in the camera shade. All inside the Unity in realtime.

I did here the camera passing day nigh.

Look:

The post effects on camera i put are these:

15753917459_3a9fb9479f_o.pngUnity 5 post camera shade fx. by Climberfx, on Flickr

Soon i put better stuff, this was my first try out!

Edited by Climberfx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.