Devnote Tuesdays: The "Riding To GDC on an Asteroid" Edition

SQUAD

LAST MINUTE FIXES?

It's coming out before April, isn't it?

#HYPE

Wouldn't count on it, this is a HUGE update and there has been a lot of conventions and whatnot that the devs participate in which takes away from dev time I am sure. The update will be worth the wait I am sure!

my guess is ARM late march after GDC and .24 in april after they bug hunt any issues that poped up in ARM so they dont need to do a patch separate patch. with so many new things a great deal can go wrong so they prolly want to take their time and get things right.

If there's anything I dislike, it's how we have to wait for an update like with a complete game (as in wait for testing to be done), but there are still more bugs than with most completed games. I'd prefer if we were allowed to playtest the update earlier...

If there's anything I dislike, it's how we have to wait for an update like with a complete game (as in wait for testing to be done), but there are still more bugs than with most completed games. I'd prefer if we were allowed to playtest the update earlier...

Games like this walk a fine line, if they release with too many issues, people will compain as well.

Its honestly a lose-lose, so they have to try make as many people happy as then can.

It did work that way for a time, but it doesn't any longer for very good reason: the devs got swamped with tons of bug reports that were effectively all identical, and many of them were very unhelpful in isolating the given issue on top of that. The open testing model did not work well for KSP at all, and it led to releases taking longer instead of getting out faster. That's why there's a dedicated testing team now.

It did work that way for a time, but it doesn't any longer for very good reason: the devs got swamped with tons of bug reports that were effectively all identical, and many of them were very unhelpful in isolating the given issue on top of that. The open testing model did not work well for KSP at all, and it led to releases taking longer instead of getting out faster. That's why there's a dedicated testing team now.

Not to mention all the many threads that simply complained about how broken the release was.

Uhm, in my experience KSP is less buggy than just about any EA game for starters (Sim City 5, Battlefield 4), and even Blizards which is ussualy pretty good had Diablo 3... I could go on and on, but in my experience KSP is one of the least buggy buts of software.

I'm interest to know if they plan on upgrading to Unity 5 when it does come out (x64 support should be reason enough alone, no more memory crashes). Although did just read an article the other day saying that Unity 5 IS out now. Although checking the site it's still preorder status.

Unity 5 has 64 bit editor support. It will not make the game 64 bit.

In fact, there are 64 bit builds for the game right now, they're just extremely unstable.

The linux 64bit version is mostly fine, assuming you apply the patch from the forum. Only managed to crash it once with that.

The linux 64bit version is mostly fine, assuming you apply the patch from the forum. Only managed to crash it once with that.

Patch from the forums???

I run the 64bit Linux version all the time, tons of mods, and zero issues!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.