What is your 'Specialty' in KSP?

roblamb98

Mine is reusing designs. Today I wanted to pop outside Kerbin's SoI for a few minutes to do some high above Kerbol science, and realized the ship I'd built to orbit the Mun and Minmus (in separate missions) had just enough delta-v for the job.

My specialty is doing 'Realistic' rockets. When Scott Manley started doing "interstellar quest", I was inspired by the idea of doing all the grunt work the hard way. I use KSPTOT to plan my missions and figure out how much power will really be needed, and when to launch, etc... But after that, its all hand flown.

While I have ripped off a few of his (Scott M's) ideas (because some of them are really just genius) most of my stuff is all home grown. It really is a lot of fun trying to limit your vast power using the mods that really make it hard... Deadly Re-entry, Ferram, Remote Tech2, Interstellar, etc... And No MecJeb allowed, and no respawn of dead Kerbals.. I stopped using the TAC Life Support because the parts are too wobbly and really since you can generate anything but food onboard pretty easily it really doesn't make the game any harder.

I do use some Asparagus Lifters, but only single layer, I don't make those crazy ones that are wider than they are tall. My rockets are all machines that could really work.

Anyhow, thats my gig. I'm a tech geek, so I like max difficulty rubiks cube missions that make my brain hurt.

I've gotten decent at building ridiculously oversized, if a bit inefficient, launchers.

I recently completed one of ther KSP subreddit's challenges and sent 130 tons to kerbol escape...in one launch. Original craft had 37 mainsails and flew perfectly, apart from a little rotation.

edit: this thing- http://imgur.com/a/cgyb3#0

.craft file if anyone wants to try it out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tmi1999lswkyvf/This%20Is%20The%20End%20-%20Hard%20Mode.craft

Other than that...loltastically impractical atmospheric planes are always a blast. I had a biplane flying around today with 6 full orange tanks and a wingspan almost as wide as the runway.

Edited by Drenlin

If anything, docking in general. I enjoy it and put docking ports on everything (along with probe cores, and soon... THE CLAW)

All of my interplanetary ships are constructed in orbit despite possessing the ability to launch them in one piece.

Oh, and stubbornness/Einsteinian insanity when building, if I want it to happen (cargo sstos i'm looking at you) :P

That and actually calculating the D-V of my ships (though i'm sure many others have these exact same traits, and are better at it then me)

- A kerbalized space race.

- Tipping landers over.

- Getting into orbit without Mechjeb's "Ascent Guidance" (using "Hold Pitch/Yaw/Roll" now).

- Intermittently play KSP, accidentially lose saves after a version update, start all over again, never have a Kerbal set foot on the moon.

Someday, I'm going to be one of the cool "Shuttle to space station", "munar base", "Kerbals on Duna" guys though...someday.

My specialty seems to be building monster lifters, packing way too much fuel, and landing on rocket nozzles 1 stage down from the actual landing gear :sticktongue:

(I've done rocket nozzle landings on Minmus, Mun, Ike, Gilly, Eve, and Pol)

This is me exactly. I specialize in building second stages that circularize, transfer, enter orbit around the target, and do most of the landing.

Unfortunately, this can have some annoying consequences - like the time I dropped my transfer stage onto the Mun and it survived impact. Sigh. More debris that I didn't want. :/

I build rockets, I don't have a rocket specialization(although I build more manned rocket than unmanned one and I only have a small space station).

I sometime build plane(quite rare) and I fly them more often than I build them, especially when I kind of bored of rockets.

making tugs although getting them into orbit first is a bit hard as the lifter end up working too well (overengineered) especially to Mun as i made one that was dirt simple, requiring only 2-3 mods and is only 27 parts (minus the lifter and whatever payload i mount it with)

Creating over-complicated space stations with massive modules.

That and satellites. I've gotten very, very sharp with launching satellites into the correct intended orbits on 1st attempt, thanks to countless launches after I started using RT2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.