The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

Okay, so who's very first mission with the asteroid add-on pack is going to be to try to LAND an asteroid?

I don't mean crash it in to something, I mean land the rocky hunk somewhere.

I am thinking it might be conceivable to land it on minmus, but I am thinking larger bodies will be down right terrifying (Eve asteroid landing challenge!)

Other question is...would it even be possible? I assume yes on landing it, but I wonder if it would dissapear as soon as you time warped, or if it would be treated more like a ship and it was stay, if landed?

Okay, so who's very first mission with the asteroid add-on pack is going to be to try to LAND an asteroid?

I don't mean crash it in to something, I mean land the rocky hunk somewhere.

I am thinking it might be conceivable to land it on minmus, but I am thinking larger bodies will be down right terrifying (Eve asteroid landing challenge!)

Other question is...would it even be possible? I assume yes on landing it, but I wonder if it would dissapear as soon as you time warped, or if it would be treated more like a ship and it was stay, if landed?

Lots of people have done so already, you could check out some of the archive videos from ksptv (on twitch).

I think there're doing like .22. We get a game-play trailer a day or two before, an then an animation when it's released.

For what it's worth, the finishing touches are being put onto an animation right now. I don't know if the intention is to release it before or with the update, but the fact that it's at that point is exciting.

I don't know what I'll do first when this comes out... the asteroids or the new parts! Oh, and Rowsdower, would you be able to answer a question about the new engine cluster? Why was it made to look like the old SLS orientation, with them in a rectangle shape? The current SLS design places them in a square so it would be appropriate to represent it like that in KSP. Nothing game breaking of course, I'd just really like to see it addressed. If there's not enough time to "fix" it for 0.23.5 then 0.24 seems do-able, right? I know it's not meant to be a complete replica but it still bugs me. :)

sls-inflight_afterburn_300dpi.jpg?itok=nCEOl7OJ

If it *does* happen to be released tomorrow I will be forever grateful... who doesn't like Fridays (read: KSP marathon days)?

Sounds good! I think it wouldn't be that much of a problem to land on eve due to its thick atmosphere which would be very useful with chutes as well as troubling with weight. The asteroids just sat on the surface and seemed to lag a ton when put on the surface of Kerbin.

And I doubt it will be released tomorrow as there hasn't been any recent updates (other than the new daily kerbal) and there was a number of fun bugs in the marathon *cough explosive Clawed Kerbals :). But I'm guessing within 2 weeks :wink:.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I don't know what I'll do first when this comes out... the asteroids or the new parts! Oh, and Rowsdower, would you be able to answer a question about the new engine cluster? Why was it made to look like the old SLS orientation, with them in a rectangle shape? The current SLS design places them in a square so it would be appropriate to represent it like that in KSP. Nothing game breaking of course, I'd just really like to see it addressed. If there's not enough time to "fix" it for 0.23.5 then 0.24 seems do-able, right? I know it's not meant to be a complete replica but it still bugs me. :)

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/1600x1200_autoletterbox/public/sls-inflight_afterburn_300dpi.jpg?itok=nCEOl7OJ

If it *does* happen to be released tomorrow I will be forever grateful... who doesn't like Fridays (read: KSP marathon days)?

Let's make a thread about this! :)

One of the first things I'm going to do take one of those KS-25 engine clusters and clip another one to it rotated 90 degrees, for very powerful 8 engine cluster. I'll probably try the same with the new 2 engine liquid booster and throw another engine in the center.

And then I'll make a Saturn V. I'm more excited about new parts than the asteroids. I spend all my time in the VAB anyway.

Edited by GusTurbo

Let's make a thread about this! :)

Sounds fine and dandy, you want to write it? I'm not the best thread creator. :sticktongue:

Also mention that we want the new engines as standalones for the Space Shuttles! :)

Oh, and congrats on that fourth rep bar!

About what? spoilers actually working?

No, really, when did they come back?.

A thread about the arrangement of the engines and a suggestion for standalones. But yes, spoilers are back and it's awesome! :)

Edited by Woopert

just a quick question about the upcoming update, about how massive (in kerbal tons) on average are these asteroids supposed to be? im curious because id like to create a few new moons around kerbin when it comes out, but im not sure if that is simply out of the question because i would need like 50 mainsails or something

on a side note, will asteroids spawn elsewhere in the kerbol system as well? (i know you wont be able to see them in map view because only kerbin has a tracking station)

will it be possible to accidentally come across an asteroid on your way to some other planet?

One of the first things I'm going to do take one of those KS-25 engine clusters and clip another one to it rotated 90 degrees, for very powerful 8 engine cluster. I'll probably try the same with the new 2 engine liquid booster and throw another engine in the center.

And then I'll make a Saturn V. I'm more excited about new parts than the asteroids. I spend all my time in the VAB anyway.

Same here, I love dem SLS parts!

Good thing I have a movie and pizza to pass the time- usually when the release is verysoonTM I check the forum every minute and do nothing else. Help me!

Some of us (myself included) were rather disappointed to find out that the ARM pack would not include a standalone version of the RS-25, aka Space Shuttle Main Engine (the KS-25 ingame). The addition of this engine would open up a vast new world of possibilities, as its great gimbal range will allow for asymmetric rockets, a la stock Space Shuttles. The model of the engine bell already exists in the pack, albeit in the form of a welded cluster of four, and the rest of the engine shouldn't be too hard to model.

Here is what I think the specs should be:

Thrust: 550kN

Mass: 2.2 tons

ISP: 320s ASL, 360s vac

Gimbal range: >5°

Diameter: 1.25m

Attachment points at the top and bottom

It's basically a toned down version of the current one in the cluster, where thrust is traded off for gimbal range.

Z56.jpg

sls-inflight_afterburn_300dpi.jpg?itok=nCEOl7OJ

^Note the current engine arrangement of the SLS, which is square rather than rectangular.

Atlantis_taking_off_on_STS-27.jpg

High_Confidence_Heavy_Lift_Launch_Vehicle_Diagram.jpg

energiya-buran-launch.jpg

717px-Ares-V_(Feb_2008).jpg

Please make this happen SQUAD! :D

Edited by Giggleplex777

Same here, I love dem SLS parts!

Good thing I have a movie and pizza to pass the time- usually when the release is verysoonTM I check the forum every minute and do nothing else. Help me!

I am starting to fall victim to the same. I haven't touched KSP in the last few days because im waiting for the update :(

Here is what I think the specs should be:

Thrust: 600kN

Mass: 2 tons

ISP: 320s ASL, 360s vac

Gimbal range: >5°

Sorry to nitpick, but wouldn't this ruin the skipper? At half the mass, almost the same thrust, better ISP, and a huge gimbal. What would the trade-offs be?

Maybe a higher mass would be good then. :)

But, thanks for the thread! Mind mentioning the alignment issues, or is that not a big deal for you?

I implied it on the second SLS picture. You can point it out if you want.

Sorry to nitpick, but wouldn't this ruin the skipper? At half the mass, almost the same thrust, better ISP, and a huge gimbal. What would the trade-offs be?

SLS parts are OP anyways.

How about 2.5 tons and 550kN? This would make the engine heavier than the clustered ones, as well as having about 70% of the thrust.

Edited by Giggleplex777