The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

theres been alot of talk about a robotic arm, but i beleive its just a claw on a rope. i think that you will need to rightclick it(control from here) then it will move independent of the ship using the normal rotation and docking controls. there should be a reel-in button too. id like something other than my own speculation lol

Edited by r4pt0r

The "Claw" is just a docking port that can attach to a ship - or asteroid - without a "passive" one. In other words, it's a docking port that can attach to whatever it touches. This might come handy for building bases on Gilly or on the asteroids themselves. :)

I'm actually curious whether there will be something to help discover asteroids. IMO it would be great if there would be telescopes that you can install in orbits around planets and moons and that add a few % to the probability of discovering asteroids that you can then follow in the tracking station. At least thats how i would have done the discovery part.

Other than that the arm might be nice. Will probably work on a new set of base modules that are positioned by crane with the arm.

And the other stuff, especially 5m+ rocket parts? To say it in Jeb's words: "The bigger rockets weren't entirely necessary to get here". I would have liked other stuff or consolidation of the stock part chaos a lot better than unnecessary new parts.

I'l just bet that danny has a copy of the ARM and abusing the bugs in it beyond what the devs can accept, that's why danny hasn't uploaded in a while and why the update is taking so long :P

ok onto serious stuff, any ideas of what bugs they have fixed ?

And the other stuff, especially 5m+ rocket parts? To say it in Jeb's words: "The bigger rockets weren't entirely necessary to get here". I would have liked other stuff or consolidation of the stock part chaos a lot better than unnecessary new parts.

The new parts (we don't know their size yet) were not necessary to get there, no.

They were necessary to get back, with the asteroid in tow! :P

Im suddenly envisioning using multiple arms to make multiple connections between two objects. I'm thinking of making... cages around such asteroids? Perhaps extremely strong and well-connected stations.

Which, probably will be most useful mounted on the extended arm - a.k.a. long truss :wink: At least i plan to use it that way - easier to dock with huge ships/stations without bumping something off. I'm also thinking about installing Infernal Robotics, and using hinges to build extendable booms with Claw on the end.

Orbital tug/tanker/scavenger :P I have many half-filled upper stages circling in LKO. All were put there before i unlocked KAS plugs and pipes. I will fly to each, suck the remaining fuel out with Claw-on-a-truss, and finally deorbit empty shell. Rinse and repeat until LKO is cleared. Second thing i plan is Claw-anchored outpost, placed on an asteroid with wildest, most eccentric orbit i will be able to find. It will be a five-year mission of adventure and discovery in deep, deep space. :)

I think the acronym A.R.M. is still confusing some people.

ARM refers to Asteroid Retrieval Mission, not a robotic arm.

We are not getting an arm, we are getting a claw/clamp type device.

Asteroid Redirect Mission.

I think the scenario is to intercept a Kerbin-bound asteroid and redirect it to a safe trajectory.

I'm also thinking about installing Infernal Robotics, and using hinges to build extendable booms with Claw on the end.

IR already has a grappling hook that works the same way the claw will (albeit with the need for a good running bump), and an electromagnet that attaches to anything it touches when on while supplied with significant electrical power

IR already has a grappling hook that works the same way the claw will (albeit with the need for a good running bump), and an electromagnet that attaches to anything it touches when on while supplied with significant electrical power

I believe you're thinking of Kerbal Attachment System, last time I installed Infernal Robotics they only had hinges and the like.

This will be my first target for a claw-equipped ship:

c2Pi0CD.png

KerBall 1, my first "successful*" orbital probe, stuck without fuel in a highly-elliptical (Ap ~400km, Pe ~100km), highly-inclined orbit, the victim of a launch gone bonkers and a small fuel tank (I ran out while trying to lower the apoapsis).

I'm planning on attaching the claw to a similar craft, but with more tankage (either one big tank, or several small tanks in a cluster). Once I latch on to the probe, I'll have two options:

(1) Taking both ships on a dive into Kerbin's atmosphere, dumping both ships into the ocean, or

(2) Transferring enough fuel into KerBall 1 to allow it to deorbit itself, leaving the claw-equipped craft in orbit for future cleanup duties.

At this point, I'm strongly leaning towards option #2.

--

*If one defines "success" as "getting into orbit by any means necessary". :)

Asteroid Redirect Mission.

I think the scenario is to intercept a Kerbin-bound asteroid and redirect it to a safe trajectory.

Isn't this scenario based on NASA's plan to redirect an asteroid (which isn't headed on any collision course) into lunar orbit?