The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

Other Things I Want To Knowâ„¢

Once you've tracked an asteroid... is there a way to delete it so it is no longer there? Say, in the same way you can delete ships from the Tracking window?

Version 0.23.5 will only spawn asteroids for games created as New Games in version 0.23.5, I understand... but will version 0.23.5 open old saved games OK (other than not spawning asteroids for you)?

To answer the first question there, yes I believe it's as simple as just turning off the tracking of the selected asteroid, and it'll disappear shortly after.

I wonder, can the claw grab onto other parts? If it can then we might have a "joint" we can use! It would be even better if the claw can rotate 360 degrees around. All we would need is an engine on the part that the claw is attached to to move it.

Or build stock tethers using the natural flexibility of parts (that's an interesting idea, I wonder if it is actually possible).

You mean... like this?

HnC58QG.png

But honestly, I was thinking more in terms of simple solutions. Now that I think about it, it might be good idea to actually not dock with the asteroid, have some landing legs on the top and just push it ahead while balancing it on those legs and pushing its center of mass towards the intended thrust vector.

You all should pause and post something in the thank you squad thread :3

But also, What are you all planning to do after install? Start a career? Get straight to the parts?

Did the former. As to the latter, I will do a sandbox save so that I can test the new engines and add the results to my engine chart. After 0.24, I'll probably start a new Career and do a better job of collecting science.

I wonder, can the claw grab onto other parts? If it can then we might have a "joint" we can use! It would be even better if the claw can rotate 360 degrees around. All we would need is an engine on the part that the claw is attached to to move it.

The 'Claw' can even grab Kerbals! it's like a docking port that doesn't need another docking port to dock to... and it has 2 modes - fixed and gimbal, so you could use it for ALL sorts of different things!

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, you can only 'activate' the claw once out of the VAB/SPH, so whatever you are planning, you will have to do it in LKO or space! will bring a whole new dimension to assembling ships in space by docking them together ;D

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

* Do near-Kerbin asteroids continually spawn and disappear, or is it just a handful at the beginning and that's it?

The first 2 I have no clue. The third though I have a complete answer. Asteroids continually spawn and despawn so you will have a constant number of them. IF you click the "track object" button (idk what its real title is) than it will NOT despawn this way you don't lose asteroids when you have your eyes set on them. Hope it helps!

Other Things I Want To Knowâ„¢

Once you've tracked an asteroid... is there a way to delete it so it is no longer there? Say, in the same way you can delete ships from the Tracking window?

Version 0.23.5 will only spawn asteroids for games created as New Games in version 0.23.5, I understand... but will version 0.23.5 open old saved games OK (other than not spawning asteroids for you)?

According to Kofeyh's stream, once you visit an asteroid it turns persistent and doesn't disappear. Not sure if he meant that you have to leave some part there, or if the asteroid itself is there forever, though.

That's why I love this game, it's got more possibilities than Lego! (and increasing)

Just a different community my friend :) not necessarily better or worse :wink:

Edited by Avera9eJoe

What happens to an asteroid that hits another asteroid, that's what I'd like the most to see ;)

(They feel super light for their volume from the videos, though.... some rebalancing mod is in order)

Just by eyeballing the measurements, I'd say the asteroids in the ARM pack are about 1/4 as dense as a rock/metal asteroid in real life. So not THAT far out, and that's probably only to make the somewhat manageable.

I think that some landing legs in the right spot might help with that... Will have to experiment a bit when the patch comes out.

When you have the asteroid clawed, it's part of your ship and any landing legs will just cleanly clip through it. Maybe you could use more claws. Or you can skip the claw and use landing legs, that might work.

I did some "scientific" research. The question is: "How to land 3500t uncontrollable thing using parachutes".

http://imgur.com/a/jfMEv

(Sorry, can't get those imgur tags to work)

According to videos there's no need to use chutes to land an asteroid. Maybe if you wanted to land it on water.

I really wonder if the asteroid will float if you gently land it on water.

Thanks! :)

According to videos there's no need to use chutes to land an asteroid. Maybe if you wanted to land it on water.

I really wonder if the asteroid will float if you gently land it on water.

Looks like asteroids in experimental buids have a ridiculous impact tolerance (100 m\s maybe). It could be changed in final builds. Besides, it would be fun to add 150+ chutes to asteroid using KAS :)

As for water... In some of my earlier tests, I've got this thing to orbit, and deorbited it for splashdown. There it is:

za7EYiC.jpg

It sunk (and broke in process). Now it just lies here, at 500+ meter depth. Didn't know that parts in KSP can actually sink...

any time biohazard, just for reference, if you want to do those albums yourself, heres how :)

[ imgur ] jfMEv [ /imgur ] with out the spaces.

each album will be different of course, as far as that tag in the center, but, thats the general idea :)

I barely went through the thread, but i just hope there's a way to make a "mini-klaw" so i can make a Rosetta mission equivalent :)

Obviously trying a rescale will be the first thing i do :D

Now taking bets on how long before someone tries to attach a K-drive... or multiple K-drives... to an asteroid recovery ship >.<

The more interesting question some youtuber could answer is... do KrakenDrives still work with the new joint system? But yeah, the second we know they do...

You mean... like this?

http://i.imgur.com/HnC58QG.png

But honestly, I was thinking more in terms of simple solutions. Now that I think about it, it might be good idea to actually not dock with the asteroid, have some landing legs on the top and just push it ahead while balancing it on those legs and pushing its center of mass towards the intended thrust vector.

Yeah, only teh problem I expect comes when you try to put that in tension so it does something, not of making the thing itself (though the new joint system will force us to familiarize again with the parts). Still, you are already coming up with other ways (ingenious, BTW), so you get my point :)

Rune. It's hard to keep up with this thread!

Yeah BUT IT WOULD BE SO COOL.

Like when you time warp the asteroid stops spinning but when you resume it starts spinning. Although an asteroid would probably stop spinning if it where floating in space for a few hundred years although I'm no expert.

I'm trying to figure out how to get just a claw with a parachute attached to it to grab a Kerbal, so I can parachute down from LKO.

Worked that out - step 1: attach decoupler somewhere on a ship, 2: attach one of the empty fuselage pieces to the decoupler, and add radial 'chutes, 3: stick the 'Claw' on the end... when you want to drop your Kerbal back into atmo, get him to EVA (ship must either be crewed by another kerbal or have remote control...) grab EVA Kerbal with claw, detach claw using the decoupler, use EVA fuel to de-orbit kerbal, pull 'chutes before he goes splat!

The more interesting question some youtuber could answer is... do KrakenDrives still work with the new joint system? But yeah, the second we know they do...

Yeah, only teh problem I expect comes when you try to put that in tension so it does something, not of making the thing itself (though the new joint system will force us to familiarize again with the parts). Still, you are already coming up with other ways (ingenious, BTW), so you get my point :)

Rune. It's hard to keep up with this thread!

I'm fairly sure some of you genius K-drive experimenters will work it out - they have confirmed that they will be securing things that aren't meant to wobble (like engines connected to bottom of a fuel tank) but other things will have that bit of wobble which should make K-drives work... unless they have worked out how to rid .23.5 of it, but I reckon it will work until .24! :wink:

(still gotta work on my multi-quote replies, it seems!)