The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

The new patch is really neat so props to Squad for the fantastic job they've done.

The only things that bug me are the yellow exhaust for the KS-25, and they way the engines are oriented on it. The latest SLS design has them spaced evenly in a square shape, the one in game has them grouped together at the ends like the old 5 RS-25 engine SLS design. I don't know why, but I'm really obsessing over this haha. :)

sls_architecture.jpg?itok=vQLgZbvo

I think the original arrangement looked better tough.

Please add a standalone KR-25!!!!!!!!

What I'm going to do with colored lights:

I'm going to set up several of them on an asteroid to shine bright green light nearly tangent to the surface of the asteroid's surface to create glowing green patterns that make the asteroid look like Magic Boulder. Then I'll move it into a near-polar orbit around Ike. Then I'll keep my vast treasure of pirated kerbal snacks on that asteroid, because all other kerbals would be afraid to approach it, lest they vanish in Magic Boulder's mysterious killing field.

Oh...and I'll use a claw to attach a monolith to the asteroid where Magic Boulder had its monolith, but it will really mark the secret entrance to my mad scientist base from which I will plan to dominate the whole Kerbol system. Bwah ha ha ha ha!

Edited by Brotoro

Yes, standalone KS-25's would be amazing! Having an engine with a nice gimbal range would be cool as well, if it were stock. I know all gimbals are nerfed down in KSP so something like 4 degrees might be good (rather than 10.5 degrees). I really do hope they add the new arrangement though, the pack is supposed to be NASA approved, why did they let that inaccuracy pass? If it stays it will really irk me.

Yes, standalone KS-25's would be amazing! Having an engine with a nice gimbal range would be cool as well, if it were stock. I know all gimbals are nerfed down in KSP so something like 4 degrees might be good (rather than 10.5 degrees). I really do hope they add the new arrangement though, the pack is supposed to be NASA approved, why did they let that inaccuracy pass? If it stays it will really irk me.

A strong medium sized engine with very high gimbal range will make Space Shuttles super easy to build. They should of added such a high gimbal engine, so we can rebuild the Shuttle :D

I was expecting to get those sexy as hell fairings. Any word on them?

They would be a hindrance at this point in KSP but I would love to see them as they reduce mod dependence and satisfy my FAR compliance needs.

They need to bring back the Magic Boulderâ„¢ and make it behave like a normal asteroid so I can deorbit it.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!! It should be worshiped, not deorbited.

jking :sticktongue:

OT,

This patch does look amazing, I really hope the optimizations they mentioned make a large difference.

Oh, and the new parts/asteroids as well

Edited by The Silent Majority

They would be a hindrance at this point in KSP but I would love to see them as they reduce mod dependence and satisfy my FAR compliance needs.

I know that they are counter-productive but I want them, I want those beautiful curves on my rocket covering 130t of useless stuff en route to space.

SpoilerMight as well do them myself if they don't come.

Has anyone on the media team done an asteroid capture without relying infinite fuel? I'm watching 4KbShort's vid right now. He just launched a FIVE mainsail pusher craft without any proper tanks. Fuel management and planning is 90% of ksp. At least when someone uses an infinite lives cheat they have to restart a level once and a while.

Has anyone on the media team done an asteroid capture without relying infinite fuel? I'm watching 4KbShort's vid right now. He just launched a FIVE mainsail pusher craft without any proper tanks. Fuel management and planning is 90% of ksp. At least when someone uses an infinite lives cheat they have to restart a level once and a while.

Most do, its not that difficult actually

I have heard E sized ones take a massive amount of fuel. All the videos ive seen besides one (the one your watching) did it without infinite fuel.

I'm going to be interested to see if I can create a miniprobe with claw and Ion engine to move an asteroid (A or B sized) ... think with the new thrust it might be possible but we'll have to see because:

thrust = 4x old

energy consumption = 1.15x old

xenon consumption = 8x old

So while we'll save a large amount on batteries and solar panels ion craft will require 2*xenon and for same deltav.

Scott Manley did. He sounded a bit shocked when his craft, which had lots and lots of DeltaV, dropped to 40 or so DV as he attached it to the rock, but he did capture it, and even land it eventually.

I'm going to set up several of them on an asteroid to shine bright green light nearly tangent to the surface of the asteroid's surface to create glowing green patterns that make the asteroid look like Magic Boulder. Then I'll move it into a near-polar orbit around Ike. Then I'll keep my vast treasure of pirated kerbal snacks on that asteroid, because all other kerbals would be afraid to approach it, lest they vanish in Magic Boulder's mysterious killing field.

Oh...and I'll use a claw to attach a monolith to the asteroid where Magic Boulder had its monolith, but it will really mark the secret entrance to my mad scientist base from which I will plan to dominate the whole Kerbol system. Bwah ha ha ha ha!

Do not know what kind of snacks your having, but maybe you should have less ... or share. :D

But also, What are you all planning to do after install? Start a career? Get straight to the parts?

As .24 will be close behind, it will be a sandbox-asteroid-fooling-round save for me next time.

And I am stopping to view any more vids until I had my own go at it. :)

Concerning the looks of the new large parts, Is it just me or do they look out of place?

I just think that they look to NASA-y. They don't look Kerbal enough.

On a side note, are we getting any new big radial decouplers to go with the new parts?

Maxmaps just said on Twitter that the "ARM vid should be up soon." Normally they only upload videos when... you know. Not going to get my hopes up, but I might start backing up my saves...

Edited by AlternNocturn