The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

Speculation has it that there's some delay with the ARM pack. Several of the YouTube videos originally stated things like "out by the time this video is released" or "out now", etc. These were either later changed or comments out on them to say "soon".

Also as clarification there were "under the hood" changes to the core game with .23.5 , so no it's not strictly a mod pack.

So I recommend patience, whatever's going on with .23.5 I'm sure will be resolved "soon" and then my personal speculation is a shortened cycle for .24, meaning a couple months after .23.5 does arrive.

Keep in mind that this is all speculation by myself and many others, and holds no basis in any reality we know of.

I wonder if it can be done with two claws back to back with no intervening part. If you can attach a claw to a ship by the business end in the VAB, similar to predocked ports, I think it might be possible. Build a ship with a double ended claw attached to it, attach it to the asteroid and unclamp the claw attached to the ship. Switch to another ship already clawed to the asteroid, use that one to maneuver the asteroid with the claw into contact with another asteroid and clamp it.
Even if the claw can't be attached in the VAB, it's still possible. Build a ship that's just two claws stuck together, and pick it up off the launchpad or runway with a rover/skycrane/whatever. Grab the other claw onto your launch vehicle and you're ready to go.

I hope the claw can be opened in the VAB. I need that functionality!

Also, damn you 0.23.5, I just had another dream: Rowdster, in the daily kerbal section, had posted a "Russian mafia" style post. No news or media, just his post- go get it!

In-game, There were new, long, MK1 pods, on with Gemini landing legs. Scott manley said you could design your own EVA suit. KSP also installed a bunch of new dlls.

...I wake up for real. Check KSP.. Hop- nevermind.

They mentioned quite a lot of bugfixes to make the asteroid mission not just possible but at least somewhat comfortable. Among others they fixed some orbital mechanics bugs and improved maneuver nodes. Added discovery mechanism for asteroids. Added asteroid science.

HarvesteR promised the changelog will be interesting to read.

Edited by Kasuha

I am guessing that, from a distribution perspective, the asteroid pack is effectively a mod. It doesn't require a lot of code to be changed.

Where .24 on the other hand, is a complete update of the KSP program.

Guessing, mind you. I have no clue what goes on at Squarters (Squad Headquarters)

Mostly this was the intention, however, in testing the ARM "mod pack" it was discovered that many underhood changes needed to be made to accomodate. This has pushed the ARM pack later and later, and effectively closer and closer to 0.24.

Things like fixing some patched conics stuff.

Things like allowing time warp while in the tracking station.

Things like larger parts and stronger joints.

These things were going to be in development down the road, probably for 0.24 or possibly later. But the challenges of the Asteroid pack sort of required getting those solutions up and working now, which required a lot of new code. While the 0.23.5 is just technically an add-on mod pack, it will include many of the things that the next patch was planning on including. They are now closer in time-frame as well as code.

I'm sure there are still some things in 0.24 that don't need to be included with the ARM pack but need to be implemented before too long. Things like currency and contracts and other career oriented under-the-hood code needs to be implemented and perfected. But those bits are not essential to the asteroid redirect, and therefore can wait. And I'm sure there will be some things in 0.24 that we don't know about yet.

T-minus 10..9..8.....

http://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=220200

http://i.imgur.com/SS63UfE.png

(Not prediction or speculation, a report of a public fact about an uploaded update to this software. That's what happens when you upload new material to steam.)

I don't think this means much. It could just be one of the private updates for the testing group. Steam has that functionality to only send updates to certain people.

T-minus 10..9..8.....

http://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=220200

http://i.imgur.com/SS63UfE.png

(Not prediction or speculation, a report of a public fact about an uploaded update to this software. That's what happens when you upload new material to steam.)

Looks like they just seeded another experimental build, that's all. I guess I get to sleep this weekend, after all :( (Or is that a good thing? I'm not sure)

Changed Depots

220202/encryptedmanifests/experimentals/encrypted_gid: * hidden *

220202/maxsize: 1614433462 › 1613238846

branches/experimentals/buildid: 222167 › 222176

Even if the claw can't be attached in the VAB, it's still possible. Build a ship that's just two claws stuck together, and pick it up off the launchpad or runway with a rover/skycrane/whatever. Grab the other claw onto your launch vehicle and you're ready to go.

That did not occur to me, good thinking.

Something that hasn't been discussed is the prevalence of asteroids in other orbits. Scott Manley mentioned that the tracking station will show asteroids that enter Kerbin's SOI. What about if you switch to Duna? Do you see asteroids that enter Duna's SOI? Or is Kerbin is a particularly privilaged part of space?

Main reason from my point of view as I wish I could find the vid that says it. Is that Kerbin as a bunch of Kerbals using telescopes to hunt for them. And sense Duna has no colony of Kerbals it will not have any Kerbals looking through telescopes. Does not mean they will not add such a feature later on. =^.^=