The ULTIMATE Challenge for Ion Power...

First and foremost, this is not a challenge which I am posting here. I am simply speculating something. Read on, friend, to see my newest crazy idea...

What if... one landed an asteroid, at the KSC, with ONLY ION ENGINES?!?! Could it be done? No parachutes, just ions... post your thoughts.

No, it is impossible. TWS of less than 1 on the Ion engine in Kerbin's atmosphere. I see people talking about strut crumple zones, etc, but the OP CLEARLY states Ion engines ONLY. No, it's impossible.

No, it is impossible. TWS of less than 1 on the Ion engine in Kerbin's atmosphere. I see people talking about strut crumple zones, etc, but the OP CLEARLY states Ion engines ONLY. No, it's impossible.

If you're going to take it that literally then you might as well disregard xenon tanks as well. Then it's impossible without the debug menu.

However, the OP only prevents a means of slowing down that isn't ion engines, i.e. all other engines and parachutes.

Besides, why not have a crumple zone consisting entirely of ion engines? :P

I'd actually find it a shame if ion engines were to get yet another buff. They are already way overpowered compared to the real thing. I'd like it more if we could warp while ion engines are on. They are supposed to be on for months/years.

Most of the craft would just end up being a mash-up of gas containers, solar panels and batteries. Anything left would be engines. And the more mass you take up with utilities, the more engines you need; the more engines you need, the more utilities you need.

The smallest solar panel and battery are massless.

I'd actually find it a shame if ion engines were to get yet another buff. They are already way overpowered compared to the real thing. I'd like it more if we could warp while ion engines are on. They are supposed to be on for months/years.

Exactly how many days straight real time do you plan on burning ion engines in order to make maneuvers?

To sum this up, because adding more ion engines would only add weight and because ion engines have a TWR of below one, the most efficient and effective design for an ion powered asteroid-lander would be a single ion engine and a couple rtgs rigged to the bottom, which burning from high enough continually should give enough thrust to let the asteroid absorb the impact.

But then again, that's more of a lithobraking than a landing, right?

I get the feeling that I might actually start up a challenge based on this.

But I'm not entirely sure what it would be about. Because asteroids can fall from orbit and still survive, so I'd have to do something about that. Perhaps if an attached Kerbal dies, you fail?

I'll think about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.