[WIP] Loading textures only as required

Faark

If the new version fixes the transparency issues and allows disabling loading VAB inventory textures, I'll really be in heaven. Full screen, full HD for everything. :) No more tradeoffs, downscaling or anything like this.

Yes so be it :)

meanwhile I have found a solution for the VAB problem ;)

(8GB or more System RAM recommended)

-just copy your KSP folder

-delete LOD in the copy

-install ATM to the copy

-open both savgame folders in background

-start both installations (two ksp instances 8 gb systemram recommended) don't forget to turn of "simulat in background" in the KSP settings or the minimized instance will use CPU power

-build ships in the ATM version save them

-tab to desktop and copy saves from ATM KSP folder to LOD KSP folder

-launch and play in the LDO instance...... Profit from beautiful HD textures :sticktongue:

Edited by dRuPpI

Yes so be it :)

meanwhile I have found a solution for the VAB problem ;)

-just copy your KSP folder

-delete LOD in the copy

-install ATM to the copy

-open both savgame folders in background

-start both installations (two ksp instances 8 gb systemram recommended) don't forget to turn of "simulat in background" in the KSP settings or the minimized instance will use CPU power

-build ships in the ATM version save them

-tab to desktop and copy saves from ATM KSP folder to LOD KSP folder

-launch and play in the LDO instance...... Profit from beautiful HD textures :sticktongue:

That would work... If my texture folder didn't exceed what ATM can manage. :) Also, I have a 32bit system, and LOD will be updated before I get a new one. I'm running a lot of mods, plenty of them memory-hogging part packs like NP.

So I tried it out with my heavy modded game, and got an instant Crash:(

Wanted to try it yesterday but to my inability to ready corretct which c++ version I shall install I did it today.

But I got the crash log:

2014-05-13_215014.rar

I'm running a 23.5 version of the game.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Alewx

So I tried it out with my heavy modded game, and got an instant Crash:(

Wanted to try it yesterday but to my inability to ready corretct which c++ version I shall install I did it today.

But I got the crash log:

2014-05-13_215014.rar

I'm running a 23.5 version of the game.

http://imgur.com/a/3D6iK

Remove TextureReplacer, it's been known to cause problems.

@raxo2222

It cannot load its internal DLL. So far this was usually caused by a missing vcredist_x86.exe (the vs2013 version linked in the first post). There was at least one other guys with such a problem while claimed to have installed vcredist, but his problem just vanished for no known reason.

@Alewx

Yes, that looks like a mod conflict and TR is the most common contestant. Hope to have the TR compatible version of LoD available soon.

Well, I just reinstalled vcredist_x86.exe and it worked. Just to make sure, install precisely what is linked in the first post.

@Alewx

Yes, that looks like a mod conflict and TR is the most common contestant. Hope to have the TR compatible version of LoD available soon.

That's weird because I've been running TR with LOD on my heavily modded install and it's chugging along quite happily. All I've had to do is explicitly disable compression and mip map generation in its cfg.

Yes, it can work, but only as long as you don't use TR to replace part textures. So the easy compatibility statement has to be "not compatible" for now.

Oh. Well. I don't. So, I guess the reason I haven't had issues is that I read the first post. :P

I removed the TextureReplace.dll and now this awesome Piece of code is working awesomely nice.

I get some random crashes without logs or reports from KSP.

It is like ATM but without having reduced texture size. :D ist so awesome, but still after about 2 launched with some bigger launchers the RAM is still filled completely to 3.6GB

May I ask what the ui buttons do? Only in case I was again to dump to read the things correct, tell me where to read :D

I used TR for a new skybox and some clouds of the planets, but not for parts, didn't like the style.

Edited by Alewx

OK I will try that although I love my new space skybox.

Is there not a way to add a skybox without texturreplacer or another plugin just by replacing a file in the datafolder or something like that?

That would work... If my texture folder didn't exceed what ATM can manage. :) Also, I have a 32bit system, and LOD will be updated before I get a new one. I'm running a lot of mods, plenty of them memory-hogging part packs like NP.

ok playinge KSP with 32 bit system is very bad ... you have to buy a new PC :wink:

Depending on how many textures you're running with...

On my end, with 2198 textures- it crashes fairly often in VAB. But it's stable while in-flight.

I,m at 1080 textures and if I don't scroll to fast and much, and wait till a texturs are loade befor scrolling to another page in VAB I can play stabel moste time, but I hit saveship bouttom now much more....

In-flight I haven't any problem noticed.

Is there not a way to add a skybox without texturreplacer or another plugin just by replacing a file in the datafolder or something like that?

TR is the only mod, I know, that is doing that Job. It wouldn't be a Problem to simply replace the textures of the squad GameDate but does not feal apropriate.

And as Faark said he is working on a version that will support TR, so it is just a matter of patience.

@Faark:

Do you colaborate with ATM? I think both mods do a pretty good job, and having these mods native coordinated could be helpful.

And the other question, what is it that is still stored in the RAM after two launches where the RAM is filled with 3,6GB but in VAB is no model or texture loaded. Native crappy Unity Garbage Collector?

Edited by Alewx

@raxo2222

It cannot load its internal DLL. So far this was usually caused by a missing vcredist_x86.exe (the vs2013 version linked in the first post). There was at least one other guys with such a problem while claimed to have installed vcredist, but his problem just vanished for no known reason.

@Alewx

Reinstalled it from that link from first page, and still getting this error:

gsxVSTM.png

I get some random crashes without logs or reports from KSP.

There is also a GameData\LoadOnDemand\LoadOnDemand.log, but its most likely out of memory anyway.

May I ask what the ui buttons do? Only in case I was again to dump to read the things correct, tell me where to read :D

Nothing. This UI is stuff for testing and already disabled by default for the next version.

Do you colaborate with ATM? I think both mods do a pretty good job, and having these mods native coordinated could be helpful.
... But another question how is LOD compatible with ATM? Because as many I understand ATM generates it's own texture's and don't changes the original files,

so does LOD detect ATM and loads it's files or does it just bypass ATM and loads the original files?

ATM and LoD should play along nicely, as long as you use ATM 3 or above. This is when ATM switched to a similar way of setting up textures as LoD does. Basically howsoever takes control over a texture first makes it invisible to the other mod. This is why you should install this mod as instructed, since this way we can be sure it runs before ATM. So more collaboration isn't really necessary at the moment.

And the other question, what is it that is still stored in the RAM after two launches where the RAM is filled with 3,6GB but in VAB is no model or texture loaded. Native crappy Unity Garbage Collector?

Probably, but I don't really know and ofc also can't yet rule out other causes like maybe some bug in LoD. But this isn't the first such report, so i probably will investigate at one time or another.

ps @raxo2222

This might be a good opportunity to give the method described in this post another try.

Edited by Faark

There is also a GameData\LoadOnDemand\LoadOnDemand.log, but its most likely out of memory anyway.

Nothing. This UI is stuff for testing and already disabled by default for the next version.

ATM and LoD should play along nicely, as long as you use ATM 3 or above. This is when ATM switched to a similar way of setting up textures as LoD does. Basically howsoever takes control over a texture first makes it invisible to the other mod. This is why you should install this mod as instructed, since this way we can be sure it runs before ATM. So more collaboration isn't really necessary at the moment.

Probably, but I don't really know and ofc also can't yet rule out other causes like maybe some bug in LoD. But this isn't the first such report, so i probably will investigate at one time or another.

ps @raxo2222

This might be a good opportunity to give the method described in this post another try.

Okay I ran depedency walker on netwrapper, and got its report.

Here is link: http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/64172889/file.html

So depwalker-reports seems to actually work. That's great! The most obvious problem is that you are missing a required DirectX 9 file (D3DX9_43.DLL). I haven't included a download link on the first post since to be honest i don't exactly know which version contains this file and all test pc's i had available already had it installed. So lets find one that definitively works and can be added to the start page of this thread: Please start with this installer, since it looks like the most general one offered by MS and hopefully kinda contains everything.

So depwalker-reports seems to actually work. That's great! The most obvious problem is that you are missing a required DirectX 9 file (D3DX9_43.DLL). I haven't included a download link on the first post since to be honest i don't exactly know which version contains this file and all test pc's i had available already had it installed. So lets find one that definitively works and can be added to the start page of this thread: Please start with this installer, since it looks like the most general one offered by MS and hopefully kinda contains everything.

That was what I was missing!

Well, it was fresh install of system - I forgot to install Directx :P

Also game starts very fast now!

Hmm it saves me about 300 - 400 MB of memory :)

What about making LoD loading only unlocked parts in SPH/VAB editor in career mode?

Edited by raxo2222

I just now thought of something. What about unloading the body textures while in the VAB/SPH/KSP (anything not Flight or TrackingStation)? It would increase loading times certainly, but should free up memory in those scenes.

ps @raxo2222

Cool I will look it up as the next crash happens, didn't know about your own logging.

Edit: got a bug, sorry for the german system language, Looks lika a B9 is buggy:

14.05.2014 21:00:06: Unhandled exception!
14.05.2014 21:00:06: System.Exception: Failed to load TGA file: D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program Interstellar X\GameData\B9_Aerospace\Parts\Aero_Intake_DSI\model000.tga ---> System.ArgumentException: Ungültiger Parameter.
bei System.Drawing.Image.get_RawFormat()
bei System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
bei System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Image original, Int32 width, Int32 height)
bei System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Image original)
bei FormatDatabase.RecognizeTGA(FileInfo file, Byte[] data)
--- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
bei FormatDatabase.RecognizeTGA(FileInfo file, Byte[] data)
bei FormatDatabase.AddRecognitionScope`1.Recognize(FileInfo file, Byte[] bytes)
bei FormatDatabase.Recognize(String file, Byte[] data)
bei TextureManager.StartLoadHighResTextureScope.ProcessLoadedData(Byte[] loaded_data)
bei Disk.RequestFileScope.RunProcessor()
bei Work.WorkThread()
bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Edited by Alewx
got a bug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.