[WIP] Loading textures only as required

Faark

I'm getting the exact same message:

[EXC 16:07:29.441] AggregateException: Failed to create NativeBridge, even legacy mode!Contained exceptions:
---------------------------------------
System.PlatformNotSupportedException: This mod currently only supports Direct3D 9.0c.
at LoadOnDemand.NativeBridge.SetupNativeBridge () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
System.NotImplementedException: Legacy mode isn't even close to a working state!
at LoadOnDemand.NativeBridge.SetupNativeBridge () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

LoadOnDemand.NativeBridge.SetupNativeBridge ()
LoadOnDemand.NativeBridge.Setup (System.String cache_directory)
LoadOnDemand.Logic.Startup.Awake ()
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
GameDatabase:StartLoad()
LoadingScreen:Start()

Anyone have any solutions? :(

I'm getting the exact same message:

[EXC 16:07:29.441] AggregateException: Failed to create NativeBridge, even legacy mode!Contained exceptions:
System.PlatformNotSupportedException: This mod currently only supports Direct3D 9.0c.
System.NotImplementedException: Legacy mode isn't even close to a working state!

LoadOnDemand.NativeBridge.SetupNativeBridge ()
LoadOnDemand.NativeBridge.Setup (System.String cache_directory)
LoadOnDemand.Logic.Startup.Awake ()
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
GameDatabase:StartLoad()
LoadingScreen:Start()

Anyone have any solutions? :(

Are you on an OS other than Windows or using the -opengl launch parameter?

Are you using Active Texture Management as well, by any chance?

I will admit I am not... that's probably why I'm not having any issues. ATM has shown itself to cause a lot of problems with its dependence on configurations to tell it what to do. It is a great help to some, but others simply want a mod that works out of the box without any changes needed when installing new content. Besides, this mod can work just fine with texture modification plug-ins as long as they aren't trying to compress anything. Take Texture Replacer as an example. This mod has absolutely no problem with it as long as I let Texture Replacer know that I do not want it to try and compress anything. Once that little rule is settled, everyone gets along just fine.

So, yesterday I fired up the game and LOD never did load up any textures. It acted like it was working - it had the "Loading Textures" text and later "Preparing Textures" text underneath of it, but it never did load up any texture. Built a plane, flew it into orbit and crash-landed it, and it was shades of pink and purple the entire time.

Anything I should check on my end? Has anybody else had this crop up?

So, I had this happen once. It never happened again, though. It just got stuck at the "prepping textures" thinger after the main menu loaded up. Upon trying to load a game, it totally froze up. What I have yet to experience with any mod is a situation where purple textures show up. The one exception to this is when I had some icons for MKS/OKS showing up as purple square icons in the Toolbar mod. those are always purple, now that I think of it. I'm unsure what that's all about.

Gotta hand it to you though, that's some amazing patience you've got there building a plane and flying it all in shades of purple. I'd have never been able to stand it being all bugged up like that.

Edited by Gaalidas

Okay, so, using this WITH ATM is doable, right? I'm just making sure because I run a lot of mods, mostly big parts packs like B9, LLL, Fustek, etc. I'd like to try using JUST this mod first, because ATM is starting to become... bothersome, ever since 0.25 hit, insofar as the fact that I'm still running up against my memory limit, plus a lot of my textures look really crappy because I have to compress them so much, and the game STILL crashes way too frequently (even by 'normal' KSP standards) due to, I believe, a nagging memory leak in one of the mods that hasn't been updated for 0.25. But if I need to run LOD with ATM (v3-8 aggressive, x86, naturally), and NOT use ' -force OpenGL' as instructed somewhere in the OP, I believe... well, should I even give LOD a try, or should I not bother, given the info above? Actually, I stopped using OpenGL last night, and it made almost no difference. I say 'almost' because it seemed that the game actually ran longer before crashing than it had when I was using it, lol!

I could still cut out quite a few mods and/or parts if I have to, but I want to use the parts I have now, at least eventually. :)

This is my first post in this thread, btw, so hello everyone! :D

So, anyway, fwiw, hopefully someone knowledgable about this mod can guesstimate my chances of success. :)

Later on, Kerbs! :D

I may have discovered a conflict with this mod and the IVA window in the ALCOR capsule. The window just shows grey instead of the outside view.

gdOfdSs.png

Here is my log, can anyone see what might be causing it?

http://www./view/u4t18c2uv1y7a0r/KSP.log

I`ve reinstalled this and that, removed all my mods and put them back bit by bit and the only connection I can find is adding and removing LoadOnDemand.dll makes the problem happen or not.

It does not seem to happen with stock capsules.

I will admit I am not... that's probably why I'm not having any issues. ATM has shown itself to cause a lot of problems with its dependence on configurations to tell it what to do. It is a great help to some, but others simply want a mod that works out of the box without any changes needed when installing new content. Besides, this mod can work just fine with texture modification plug-ins as long as they aren't trying to compress anything. Take Texture Replacer as an example. This mod has absolutely no problem with it as long as I let Texture Replacer know that I do not want it to try and compress anything. Once that little rule is settled, everyone gets along just fine.

I tried removing ATM, and I still get the same error, unfortunately.

Hi faark,

thanks for a much needed mod, it really helps a lot in saving precious memory! But, as you wrote in the OP, LOD does crash easily (I know it's a desired behavior), in my case after approx. 5-10 min in the VAB during normal building. I use ATM and Texture Replacer. I put my output log on dropbox (find it here), maybe it helps in the further development of this great mod. If you need anything else (eg. system specs, modlist) just let me know.

Thanks again!

I tried removing ATM, and I still get the same error, unfortunately.

Well crud. Sorry you're having difficulty. I'm afraid my troubleshooting skills end at this point. Someone else will have to take a stab at it from here. Any takers?

I may have discovered a conflict with this mod and the IVA window in the ALCOR capsule. The window just shows grey instead of the outside view.

http://i.imgur.com/gdOfdSs.png

Here is my log, can anyone see what might be causing it?

I`ve reinstalled this and that, removed all my mods and put them back bit by bit and the only connection I can find is adding and removing LoadOnDemand.dll makes the problem happen or not.

It does not seem to happen with stock capsules.

I've had this happen as well with some modded pods. I've only had it happen when somehow the alpha layer was being removed from the texture for the window, if the mod in question uses the alpha layer to do that sort of thing. Some modded pods do the transparent windows from the model layer, instead of relying on the texture. I must admit I have no clue how they do any of it, I just know that i have accidentally edited out an alpha layer from a texture and not discovered my mistake until a week had passed and I finally got the pod into the air. In the end, I am unsure what the culprit could be. I don't actually use ALCOR myself. It's rather ram-heavy.

Hi faark,

thanks for a much needed mod, it really helps a lot in saving precious memory! But, as you wrote in the OP, LOD does crash easily (I know it's a desired behavior), in my case after approx. 5-10 min in the VAB during normal building. I use ATM and Texture Replacer. I put my output log on dropbox (find it here), maybe it helps in the further development of this great mod. If you need anything else (eg. system specs, modlist) just let me know.

Thanks again!

This is often either a sign that the full-size textures that LOD is loading are still overloading your memory limits, or that LOD is being forced to load and unload full-res textures at too fast of a rate and the air-passages got clogged (so to speak) in the chaos. I've had this happen when flipping pages in the VAB too quickly for LOD to keep up, and too slowly for LOD to not notice. There's this magical sweet spot where things just go wrong.

Interesting little thing here, I remember when .25 was released and we were asking for an update here on the forums. However, not a lot happened until someone went to his github and opened an issue. If you're having trouble stirring up that author here, might want to go poke him where it hurts (so to speak.) I'm just a guy with no off-switch to make him shut up.

EDIT: Holy crud! Now I'm getting the exact same error. I haven't even changed anything! What the heck is going on here?

EDIT 2: Whew, false alarm.

Edited by Gaalidas

It's moaning about not finding something.

But damn, what's firecrew doing there? One exception after the other...

The current version of LOD should work with the current version of ATM, afaik. At least because of how they should currently operate. Haven't tested it lately, for the earlier stated reason.

[..]I'm getting the same error as reported before. Here is part of my log: [..] Thanks in advance!

This usually indicates some dependency was not or incorrectly installed. Please try to re-install all requirements listed in this threads first post. Are you running a 64bit ksp install? This might require vcredist_x64.exe, btw.

[..]but it never did load up any texture. Built a plane, flew it into orbit and crash-landed it, and it was shades of pink and purple the entire time.[..]Anything I should check on my end? Has anybody else had this crop up?[..]

Logs! Would have been nice to check out the logs from that event. Did it happen again / can you reproduce it?

I'm getting the exact same message: [..] Anyone have any solutions? :(

This mod so far only works for KSP's on Windows using DirectX 9 (the default).

The one exception to this is when I had some icons for MKS/OKS showing up as purple square icons in the Toolbar mod. those are always purple, now that I think of it. I'm unsure what that's all about.

Caused by LOD or unrelated to this mod?

[...]

I'd love you to try it. Any kind of feedback is appreciated, including/especially those of the "it doesn't work/help because..." kind.

I may have discovered a conflict with this mod and the IVA window in the ALCOR capsule. The window just shows grey instead of the outside view.[..]

Aw yes, there was sth like this still unresolved. Thanks for the logs, I'll have a look at it later this week, i need a break from texture compression anyway. They aren't using TGA's, right? I think TGA transparency was an issue as well and i kinda hoped not having to take care of this anymore since there was a lot of bad "talk" about TGA in KSP recently.

Hi faark,

Thanks again!

Hey, it's probably still some kind of OutOfMemory error. Whatever it is, it occurs in a separate LOD-part, thus the actual message is logged in GameData\LoadOnDemand\LoadOnDemand.log. It actually might be worth a try to simply not load the high resolution texture in such a case. Though it would still mean KSP is close to running OOM and might crash because of sth else needing memory. Anyway, it would be good to have a look at LoadOnDemand.log first, just to make sure its not actually caused by something else.

Yes, Issues on GitHub would be great. Its much easier to keep track of them there, since each can have its own thread.

Logs! Would have been nice to check out the logs from that event. Did it happen again / can you reproduce it?

It hasn't happened again, not to that degree anyway. The mod has been slow to load occasionally but that's generally happened when things were going on in my box's background (like Windows updates - which are always annoying as hell). I can check to see if I do have any information from that event but it won't be until after I get home this evening (sometime around 00Z at the earliest).

Ah, okay didn't know LOD creates a separate log, will post it over at git after I get a new one, since I had trouble with a few other mods and had to redo part of my mod folder, including LOD...

Edited by E.Nygma

New version available: v3.4, offers image compression. So far not for normal maps. Its also disabled by default, for now. You have to set ...Compress = true in the cfg file either for all (DefaultImageConfig) or individual images. Those config options might not appear .cfg file until LOD re-writes its cfg. The easiest way to force that is to delete the GameData\LoadOnDemand directory and start KSP.

I've also seem to have broken the 64bit version, but that shouldn't be a big issue for this test version since most of you appear to use 32bit anyway.

The mod has been slow to load occasionally but that's generally happened when things were going on in my box's background (like Windows updates - which are always annoying as hell).

That's kinda intended. To make sure LOD doesn't create those annoying little freezes i've lowered the disk-thread's priority. Sadly that means most other non-KSP stuff comes first as well :(

been wanting to try this one for a while, so gave it ago, but im getting the failed navbridge message too. :(

then i looked more carefully at the dependancies, is the dx9 a minimum req., or the only version it will work with? as in, if we run dx11 we're out of luck?

derp. disregard...

i still have a habit from older days of gaming on lackluster pcs... i still tend to kill off unused processes and had .net frameworks turned off.

re-enabled them and loaded up just fine!

also: went from a 2.2-2.4gb load to 1.6-1.7 :)

Edited by BobsYerUncle

Getting crashes right after load. Attaching logs. Not sure what is causing it; may be the sheer quantity of mods, but this number of mods is what just barely broke the RAM limit using ATM +OpenGL, so I was hoping ATM +LoD could work better...

I've tried both with the new texture options on and off; same results. Nuked the LoadOnDemand folder in between just to be sure.

I appreciate the work on this none the less!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2WmuS1jXmpXdjFiMnhKRFF2b2s/view?usp=sharing

Probably LOD running out of memory while preprocessing textures. Would be great to get LODs log file at GameData\LoadOnDemand\LoadOnDemand.log to verify this.

I'm currently evaluating whats necessary to support OpenGL as well, but it will probably take a while until thats implemented.

Hey Faark, here's the log file you asked for, along with an updated KSP log file (this is with default options + ThumbnailCompress, as this makes it the furthest in the load; up to 254-ish out of 1500 or so):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2WmuS1jXmpXbnAtdXN6cEh6NXM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2WmuS1jXmpXMks0TzNRZUZYbjA/view?usp=sharing

KSP doesn't seem to be running out of RAM, at 3.2-ish GB it is below the threshold of imminent doom. Also of note, I have had to remove B9 aerospace and MKS/Karbonite to pull the ram usage down to where it makes it to the main menu without crashing. I am hoping that once initially loaded and cached, I can add mods back. If not, at least I am providing testing and feedback! lol

I really appreciate all the work you are doing on this; it's no small task!

Edit: if the issue really does stem from dx9 and dx10/11 fixes it, you could always try to implement dx11 support, and see if that helps. you can currently open the game in dx11 mode with -force-d3d11 command line option. Just a thought if that might be easier.

Edit2: looks like this may be the case. dx11 crashed just before finalized loading on my fully modded copy at 3.7 GB, while OpenGL managed to scrape by at 3.6 GB just before loading, then successfully loading. dx9 crashes half way through, not even making it close. So from what I can tell, dx11 saves almost as much ram as OpenGL. LoD is clearly not working with it, however.

Edited by dreadicon

• 2 weeks later...
but im getting the failed navbridge message too. :(

Are you running a 64-bit copy of Windows? (NOT 64 bit KSP) I was getting that message until I installed *both* the x86 version and the x64 version of the Visual C++ files Faark linked in the OP. Now running LOD on two machines with the same setup and it's been working flawlessly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.