Docking Mode: Do you use it?

ddavis425

Do you use Docking Mode or Flight Mode for docking?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you use Docking Mode or Flight Mode for docking?

• Docking Mode
    • Flight Mode

Nah, my left hand is so trained to operate attitude/throttle that if I switched modes I'd more than likely find my way to Jool while trying to rendezvous. I also remapped my rover controls to the translation keys so I don't have worry about accidentally making my rover do barrel rolls.

I assigned the number pad as translation controls and use flight mode so I can control rotation and translation at the same time.

I tried to use docking mode with a joystick, but every time I tried to switch between rotation and translation via the assigened button, it also switched the active vessel.

Never use it. Mostly because I just find it weird to use WASD for anything else, but also because sometimes it's better to use the default flight controls for manual rotation than leaving it up to the SmartASS.

I use the docking mode. I have found it incredibly useful for controlling rovers in low-G environments.

Ditto, the only use I have had for docking mode so far was for rovers.

3 problems with docking mode:

-The fact that the spacebar changes function between the two modes (and one of those functions can ruin your mission if used accidentally).

-WASDQE is already mapped in my brain as rotation controls, so switching modes is confusing (at least to me).

-Rotation control can be used in conjunction with translation control, why should I use only one at a time by constantly toggling? (unless you are a one-handed amputee, in which case, I'm glad there's an option for you!)

To each their own, though. There may be people who find it more intuitive than I do, or prefer keeping one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, or find some other use for it (rovers).

I remapped the translation controls to both the numpad and IJKLHN. Docking is accomplished by switching between them, WASD, and the mouse to adjust camera angles.

I don't really know WHY I'd want to change to docking mode, or to a chase camera. I'm managing just fine my way, after getting sick of MechJeb wasting all my monopropellant.

It's still useful for rendezvous, but the docking itself is easier to do myself. A quick burn here, a squirt of RCS there, then I can just gently guide it in.

3D manipulation is surprisingly easy for me.

Ditto, the only use I have had for docking mode so far was for rovers.

3 problems with docking mode:

-The fact that the spacebar changes function between the two modes (and one of those functions can ruin your mission if used accidentally).

-WASDQE is already mapped in my brain as rotation controls, so switching modes is confusing (at least to me).

-Rotation control can be used in conjunction with translation control, why should I use only one at a time by constantly toggling? (unless you are a one-handed amputee, in which case, I'm glad there's an option for you!)

To each their own, though. There may be people who find it more intuitive than I do, or prefer keeping one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, or find some other use for it (rovers).

This summarizes my position nicely.

Although I don't really use docking mode for rovers, mostly because my rovers tend to be so heavy I can't roll them with the torque of the capsule/probe.

This is the biggest point for me. When docking you often need to rotate your craft. You can only do that in flight mode.

As others I'll use it for rover control but for docking it tends to get me in more trouble than its worth. As a consession however I remaped translation controls over to the number pad. I always found the jklmi whatever jumble hard to control accurately, I'd always end up thrusting the wrong way and haveing to reverse. With the num pad layout however its compleatly intuitive and the only screwups I have now are forgeting to set the right docking port for my referance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.