[Plugin] [Part] [WIP] [.23] InitFail .01 -- Explosive Part For Rapid Disassembly

Meatsauce

Like you, I enjoy building monuments of aerospace engineering, and watching them disintegrate in-flight. Except, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to force a single failure, that may or may not be recoverable. In the interest of fault tolerance, I think its fun to wreck your aircraft, and try to recover/land the crippled bird.

There are a few explosive parts mods out there, but nothing I found allowed me to have a simple controlled demolition of a specific part.

So with some help, I wrote a basic explosive part.

Just place the repurposed gravimax part (under science) on the part you want to fail, and either right click and hit Explode, or use the ActionGroups. The explosion will destroy the part, and the part that it is attached to. Now you can cause a catastrophic in-flight failure at the push of a button. Another use might be to use the explosive to separate your capsule or cockpit from the fuselage so your kerbals can escape disasters.

Gravimax part used without permission until I model my own C4 charge. Unless someone wants to be kind and model one for me. :)

Much thanks to Stupid_Chris and folks over in #kspmodders IRC for their insights.

> Download Now <

INSTALL

Copy the /InitFail/ folder into the KSP/GameData/ folder.

MIT License

Source in the download zip. Its a little sloppy, and I'll get to cleaning it up at some point.

Future Updates/Plans

I'm not entirely sure, so I'll appreciate your feedback. Thinking about adding timed, grouped, or random triggers. Maybe add smoke and fire (sounds?) for dramatic effect. Perhaps a controller for RPM if I can find a tutorial on making functional pages.

--

I'll try to get a video up this weekend.

Have fun blowing #@%$ up!

Edited by Meatsauce

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.