Wolf Aerospace - Development Thread

PDCWolf

Said I would and here it is, the Development/W.I.P. thread for Wolf Aerospace. There's going to be 2 categories here: W.I.P. and in need of testing, pretty self explanatory if you ask me. Specifically, anything that is "in need of testing" is obviously going to be available for download so that you can test the parts and give me feedback on it.

Project Status

LES - Offset thrust: Waiting for feedback. Still waiting.

WA-125R (Radial Engine): Texture needed, UVMap done.

Copenhagen Suborbitals LES: UVMap needed

BPC: Studying viability and alternatives - Not working much on this one as of now.

SRS (Sample Return Suite):CANCELLED

Ares SRB: Waiting for feedback on the original part. New model is on the texturing stage.

Ion RCS: Waiting for feedback.

Small solar panel: Needs texture. UVMap done, already working in-game.

In Need Of Testing

Ares SRB - UPDATED

A4SuDRo.png

The biggest, most powerful, unstable and did I mention biggest? SRB Kerbin has ever witnessed, yet somehow it managed to underperform for its intended application. Its still useful though.

It's a resize of the new "MassiveSRB" and it looks surprisingly good for an almost 2x scale resize. It was made to perform exactly like the Ares SRB and it kinda has the same problems (very unstable when going fast, unless you strut it). I also added thrust vectoring to it so that you don't need any ugly fin. You can imagine it may not be the most balanced thing in the world, so yeah, that's why it's here and not on the final release thread.

Remember it is a 2.5m diameter so it's intended to be used with the new size 3 parts to create an Ares analogue. The rocket in the picture can carry up to 27 tons to LKO, pretty much like what the real thing was supposed to do.

Changelog:

•Reduced vectoring range, this means way less wobble, turning capability reduced barely.

Download: http://www./download/m6er9ibdggaa0uw/size2srbnew.rar

LES - Offset thrust

l8RtcW9.gif

Well, it's not actually "offset", but whatever. This little thing was specially designed to be compatible with pods that have their CoM moved a bit so that they are able to do lifting reentries realistically. Even more specifically: Squad's 2.5m pod modified by Realism Overhaul's config. That's the only scenario this tower was tested on. Nothing more, nothing less.

Download: http://www./download/wvi8t9jsp3xsac8/LES-Offset.rar

Just play normally and come back with any complains you have or any bugs you may find.

Adding something very heavy or very tall between the capsule and the tower will have an effect on how the tower behaves, you can go from what you saw in the gif to back where the problem started in a few hundreds of kilos or a couple of meters. This is because, to solve the issue, I angled 2 of the thrusters by 3.5 degrees so that the thrust goes through the CoM (Pretty much what the shuttle did with its SSMEs for those that don't understand) which means either making a space between the tower and the capsule or adding a lot of weight between them is going to throw off the CoM and make the tower go crazy. Remember you do not need decouplers for the tower either, so that's one less problem. Adding a stack parachute clipped inside the pod will work, and I believe adding a rescaled (to fit R.O.) docking port/chute from sumghai's mod will also work.

W.I.P.

WA-125R

HzzXKt1.jpg

A skycrane-based radial engine. Not the most efficient thing in the world but it can push a lot of weight around, keep in mind it doesn't have vectoring thrust.

Boost Protective Cover

8m92eTu.jpg

No need to burn your beautiful pod filled with kerbonauts with the fiery flames coming from the L.E.S. anymore. This boost protective cover will shield your pod and keep it safe during the ejection phase.

More to come

If you feel like helping with textures, just say it. Its the biggest hurdle right now for getting parts released.

Edited by PDCWolf

One more, this one's really hard to guess, it's like someone making you look at a painting full of squares and wanting you to see the representation of the furious voice of the masses as they try to suppress what is oppressing them. So yeah, modern art pretty much.

f2OAheY.jpg

Here comes the explanation: It's supposed to be something I call "Sample Return Suite". It should end up (if I decide to keep going at it) looking like the stardust capsule. It would be like a probe core without sas/torque but with control capacity and will carry a really small amount of monopropellant (Thinking of something from 15 to 25 units) and it'll have a few RCS ports for its use. The widest part is 0.625m diameter so it's really small, that's why only holds 3 instruments (termometer, gravioly detector, barometer). I may or may not do a bigger version with more science capacity. For balance, it's going to be both expensive and hard to get but not so hard as to be useless when you get it. I have yet to see if I can make it be what I want it to be without fidgeting with plugins (although FAR/DRE compatibility is probably going to be there).

I also added a "Project status" part to the OP, so that you can easily see how things are going, if they are being continued or were canceled or why they haven't been yet released "officially".

Edited by PDCWolf

Here comes the explanation: It's supposed to be something I call "Sample Return Suite". It should end up (if I decide to keep going at it) looking like the stardust capsule. It would be like a probe core without sas/torque but with control capacity and will carry a really small amount of monopropellant (Thinking of something from 15 to 25 units) and it'll have a few RCS ports for its use. The widest part is 0.625m diameter so it's really small, that's why only holds 3 instruments (termometer, gravioly detector, barometer). I may or may not do a bigger version with more science capacity. For balance, it's going to be both expensive and hard to get but not so hard as to be useless when you get it. I have yet to see if I can make it be what I want it to be without fidgeting with plugins (although FAR/DRE compatibility is probably going to be there).

Hmm... can you make it able to store data collected by other instruments as well? Because that would make an outstanding data return capsule...

Hmm... can you make it able to store data collected by other instruments as well? Because that would make an outstanding data return capsule...

Wouldn't that be a bit OP? I mean, I can balance the capsule, but it would always reach a point where it turns stupidly expensive or heavy for what it is, or way past the useful part of the tech tree, or just plain overpowered and an obvious advantage to the other parts.

Wouldn't that be a bit OP? I mean, I can balance the capsule, but it would always reach a point where it turns stupidly expensive or heavy for what it is, or way past the useful part of the tech tree, or just plain overpowered and an obvious advantage to the other parts.

Well, stock command pods are already able to store the data from other experiments - you simply have to make a Kerbal get the experiments, and then deposit them in the command pod. Thus, your sample return capsule would be about the same as a stock command pod, but without room for a Kerbal. Useful for if you want the kerbal to stay in orbit while returnig the SCIENCE!

Well, stock command pods are already able to store the data from other experiments - you simply have to make a Kerbal get the experiments, and then deposit them in the command pod. Thus, your sample return capsule would be about the same as a stock command pod, but without room for a Kerbal. Useful for if you want the kerbal to stay in orbit while returnig the SCIENCE!
Also, you can transfer science with the Ship Manifest plugin.

I misunderstood your request. Now that I understand... yes, it's a good idea.

PD: Updated the Ares 1-X-5S SRB

• 3 months later...

Well, since we are here, err.

Would you guys mind taking this for a spin? I took the idea from the apparently dead (has been dead for like 4 versions) AmpYear mod.

They are Ion based RCS. They consume both electric charge and xenon gas.

+They last a lot more

+Electric Charge is pretty much infinite

-They are weaker than their monopropellant counterparts (a third of the power)

-They are heavier

-They are more expensive

-They lack own models (recolored and rescaled from squad, this will change though)

-They use ugly coding to work: for some reason ModuleRCS doesn't like multiple resources (even though 0.24 brought that as a feature), there's something wrong there because multiple-nozzle units work in a way (RESOURCE definition), and single nozzle units work in a different way (PROPELLANT definition) at least on my experience. They work as they should, as least as much as I tested them.

Also, I updated the OP with more up to date project/s status.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.