Andrew's craft showcase / Midair Refueling Development Labs [Resurrected]

Speed and stability were the original goals, but I will modify the airplane for those specific conditions. I will redesign the aircraft with these suggestion now, although part count may be a deadstop. (I will enjoy using the xonar dx sound card for my own docking attempts when it arrives).

My su 35 would go over 200 m/s at sea level. And that was without FAR.

Edited by andrew123

Are there any mods that will make craft fly indefinitely in a strait line if it has fuel and does not crash into the ground?

I used mechjeb to "auto pilot" the tanker at a relative altitude of 2000 meters.

I figured why dock to refuel when you can land?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sadly I was never able to get a proper docking connection, probably due to how it was set up. Might try again later with the docking port on the front instead. After a while of fussing the plane's wings blew off randomly (the kraken likes attacking these things), so I then did some tests with the two platforms (I had them both up there because I forgot to delete the old version from the pad when I added ports so I launched them both, Mechjeb handled the control) where I discovered something interesting: the thrust of the first one was pushing back on the other one and keeping it at a limited distance, which could be both useful and annoying when trying to dock in midair.

It may be interesting to see how much using the engines as as a buffer zone could help this, as it would alleviate the main problem of matching throttles perfectly.

Midair refueling is finally achieved. xoknight used my sr-72 in the first ever military refueling docking run.

He just docked (for few seconds).

It is big achievment, but still not refuelling

I'll try to record refuelling with no mods ;d

There you go:

:)

I was flying with it later, I decoupled and I tried to dock again, but it was hard (2 times i almost made it) but then i stopped, because i wanted to show you that ;d

(I don't know why kerbals cams are broken) ;/

Edited by Mareczex333

I am impressed. Time to modify the sr 72 into something better when time allows it now.

Also, I am giddy for my new sound card to arrive. Asus, you better not screw up with the xonar dx.

Marecez333 is hereby awarded the status of Kelly Johnson. Engineer with continuing vigor.

Edited by andrew123

Making plane smoother isn't best idea. Controls works with delay (acceleration of key is too slow). Best would be joystick or pad with analogs.

Also as I told, it just look shaky, but it was really stable flight. Just look at 1x moments (there are 3 of them in video). Whole flight was so stable as you see it at 1x.

Other thing is that pitching up/down boosts my speed a bit (infi-glide bug. I wish they will fix it someday), so I could use it to precise my speed. (Aircraft at this thrust level is a bit slower than Boeing, so I could control my speed very precisly.

To slow a bit I was stopping controlling my plane.

To slow more i tapped "1" to toggle engines

To accelerate i was pitching up and down. (it was boosting me by 5-10m/s)

Edited by Mareczex333

Sr-72 goldbird a2a edition released. Part count is not light, but all requested changes except for speed have been made.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sq5vaxet96n6be/Sr-72%20Goldbird%20A2A.craft

I might play this song while docking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJou-idWC4

Am I a Halo universe junkie? I think the answer is obvious when you look at my craft collection. UNSC forever! And Parangosky!

Edited by andrew123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.