[WIP] Universal Storage

I finally did the 1.875m adapter shroud promised years ago (aka the Gemini SM). No mesh switching on this guy sorry, I had enough trouble finding free texture space on my atlases as it is. 

Designed to fit under the 1.875m capsules soon to be released for Making History, slanting down to a 2.5m profile. Uses the hexcore as an internal structure. Might release a tweakscaled version for the BDB pods, that translates from 1.5m to 1.875m instead
2PMgPaA.png

3vybuKa.png
ryPeWrG.gif

Edited by Daishi

WIP on the opening animation. Upper lip requires the door stack to slide out before deploying (unless you want clipping through the capsule!). Not sure if i like the upper lip though, but for the standalone payload bay to function it needs to be enclosed in some way or form. 

1 hour ago, Daishi said:

WIP on the opening animation. Upper lip requires the door stack to slide out before deploying (unless you want clipping through the capsule!). Not sure if i like the upper lip though, but for the standalone payload bay to function it needs to be enclosed in some way or form.

I see what you mean.  The animation does look really cool BTW, but couldn't you just have the doors fold/pivot outwards or slide laterally as you have done before?  If I were an engineer working on designing these doors, I'd try to keep the mechanization as simple as practical.

2 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I see what you mean.  The animation does look really cool BTW, but couldn't you just have the doors fold/pivot outwards or slide laterally as you have done before?  If I were an engineer working on designing these doors, I'd try to keep the mechanization as simple as practical.

Weeell, wanted something different from what I've already done. Thinking about it, i might just make the top cap of the shroud mounted on a truss as a circle and scrap the lip of the walls. Will keep the piston thing in some way, but might not be as pronounced?  

16 hours ago, Daishi said:

Weeell, wanted something different from what I've already done. Thinking about it, i might just make the top cap of the shroud mounted on a truss as a circle and scrap the lip of the walls. Will keep the piston thing in some way, but might not be as pronounced?  

I'm sure that whatever you come up with will be fantastic, regardless; your previous work confirms this. (not that I'm trying to set the bar too high or suggesting that you can't fail, but, really, your work has been a pleasure to watch :))

1 hour ago, RedParadize said:

@Daishi If I may ask, could you add the thing that allow player to control the limit of the animation? If you do that, and maybe push the deployment limit all the way to 90deg down. We could actually use the panel as makeshift ramp or place a real ramp inside. 

The thing? Does it exist in another mod that you've seen? Might be possible... 

Just now, Daishi said:

The thing? Does it exist in another mod that you've seen? Might be possible... 

Its a custom animation module I believe. Must be Firespiter. I have seen it in many mods. @Nertea use it in many of his. Ramp for his Mark IV Spaceplane is a good exemple of this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.