[WIP] Universal Storage

eW0w9Oq.png

Starting work on the 2.5m shroud "payload" variant. Essentially a large (four high only) wide opening cargo bay for your own oversized bits of cargo. No cores or wedges required! Shamelessly reusing aspects of the 1.875m shroud though :P 

Edited by Daishi

On 11/5/2017 at 1:22 AM, Daishi said:

eW0w9Oq.png

Starting work on the 2.5m shroud "payload" variant. Essentially a large (four high only) wide opening cargo bay for your own oversized bits of cargo. No cores or wedges required! Shamelessly reusing aspects of the 1.875m shroud though :P 

Nice!  Can you surface mount into the walls?  On to the doors?

2 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Nice!  Can you surface mount into the walls?  On to the doors?

Well, yes, but if the doors move the part will just float there :P There are flags in Unity to disable attachment on doors, which i might look into.  

The back lattice will act as the main attachment point. It's a fair bit thicker than the other structures, to avoid the issue that plagues stock cargo bays (parts clipping through on attachment, and not getting occluded). 

On 11/10/2017 at 8:23 PM, Daishi said:
Quality is a bit crunchy, but you get the picture :)

Nice job, as usual.  For me, the end of the close door animation appears a little abrupt, although, funnily, the first motion on the open isn't.  Is it simply the same sequence but in reverse?  If so, go figure.

And, the end of the open door sequence, when the outermost segments recoil, seems odd to me.  Perhaps a little overdone??

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

Nice job, as usual.  For me, the end of the close door animation appears a little abrupt, although, funnily, the first motion on the open isn't.  Is it simply the same sequence but in reverse?  If so, go figure.

And, the end of the open door sequence, when the outermost segments recoil, seems odd to me.  Perhaps a little overdone??

Yeah, it's the same animation in reverse :)

And yeah, it's tricky. I wanted to convey a bit more weight considering it's a larger bay mechanism than normal, but nothing seems to be working for me lately :P

6 hours ago, Daishi said:

Yeah, it's the same animation in reverse :)

And yeah, it's tricky. I wanted to convey a bit more weight considering it's a larger bay mechanism than normal, but nothing seems to be working for me lately :P

I'm sure it is tricky.  I have no idea how you do it and I'm also positive you'll sort it out to your satisfaction and we'll be amazed.  You seem to be making the motions more complex so I'm not surprised that you're finding some that are not quite right just yet. Regardless, thanks for sharing your work-in-progress.

7 hours ago, Antik said:

Speaking of central cores - will there be variants with crew passage, as in current hexa- and octocores, or it will be only tank/bulkhead variants as those already pictured?

Yep, the hexcore and octocore have settings for both LF and crew passage. 

oojG8xY.gif

Working out the shroud "cap" height (the part between the capsule and the core). Slimline type of decoupler\reaction wheel, or should it be a mix of both? Happy coincidence everything seems to match proportionately to the real thing though :P 

except the capshroud is too tall ignore the capshroud arrrghhh

Edited by Daishi

gIpXNuk.png

Starting work on the ACD (Attitude Control Decoupler) revision. Their first iteration started off as quite chunky decouplers, but didn't really reference real life spacecraft parts like the rest of the mod so i decided they needed a redesign to fit back in, and act as the "caps" to the shrouds. They'll be mesh switchable and feature crew passage to neighboring cores, with a weak SAS system for balance sake. 1.25, 1,875, and 2.5m versions coming :)

Edited by Daishi

@Daishi May I suggest you to take a look at Textures Unlimited? I do not want to delay you release, I just can't wait for it in fact. Buts since you already use a texture switch you may want some shininess and recoloring power. If you don't that's ok, I can match pretty much any color pattern with SSTU Part as they use it.

13 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

@Daishi May I suggest you to take a look at Textures Unlimited? I do not want to delay you release, I just can't wait for it in fact. Buts since you already use a texture switch you may want some shininess and recoloring power. If you don't that's ok, I can match pretty much any color pattern with SSTU Part as they use it.

That might come as an optional release after we're finished - getting stuff looking right with those shaders will take a ton of work. 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.