[WIP] Universal Storage

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 9:54 PM, Daishi said:

Xmas in retail sucks. Ah well back to it. ACD Animation!

Edit - Gfycat seems broken. Try this https://giant.gfycat.com/CloseNastyCopperhead.mp4

TywCJf5.png

WHAT!?!

That decouple animation...

Holy crap, I won't be able to use any other parts if you do this, @Daishi! You will ruin me on Stock KSP forever!

On 1/23/2018 at 4:21 AM, Vince_K said:

Fresh news?:)

Not much i'm afraid, been pretty busy. Lost another hard drive yesterday, so scrambling to do 3TB of backups\retrieval before the thing dies properly. Nothing lost with US, don't panic! 

9 hours ago, theonegalen said:

WHAT!?!

That decouple animation...

Holy crap, I won't be able to use any other parts if you do this, @Daishi! You will ruin me on Stock KSP forever!

:D 

OtSFIFB.png

ACD's all done, barring the spec and normal maps. Shouldn't be too tricky, seeing as i can just use the shrouds as a reference. 

Now to finish the last tanks, and we're almost set for alpha release!

Untitled-1.gif

Edited by Daishi

On 1/25/2018 at 4:16 AM, Daishi said:

Not much i'm afraid, been pretty busy. Lost another hard drive yesterday, so scrambling to do 3TB of backups\retrieval before the thing dies properly. Nothing lost with US, don't panic! 

:D 

What OS are you running?  You might want to look into raid, or better yet ZFS.

2 hours ago, lordcirth said:

What OS are you running?  You might want to look into raid, or better yet ZFS.

Windows 7. I dunno if i can justify the cost; and i guess every drive breaks eventually, regardless of their setup. This one just caught me off guard :|

It's always run hot so I might have to invest in some sort of cooling pad, or a mini USB fan going forward.

11 minutes ago, Daishi said:

Windows 7. I dunno if i can justify the cost; and i guess every drive breaks eventually, regardless of their setup. This one just caught me off guard :|

It's always run hot so I might have to invest in some sort of cooling pad, or a mini USB fan going forward.

Hard drives are consumables in the long term; the idea is just to not lose data when they inevitably fail.  For example, I've got 3x3TB in raidz (similar to raid5, n-1) on my home server.  3 years in, just before warranty, one of them failed, totally dead, no warning.  A week later when I got around to it, I swapped it for a new one at the store, plugged it in, and it resilvered over the next 6 hours.  Does cost more up front, though.

hXMrB1H.png

0.625m ACDs, to round out the set. At this size, the reaction wheel torque is probably going to be a little weedy, but they should still (hopefully) be able to decouple things. No promises!

2.PNG

Revision of the 1.25m one, adding a bit of colour. Also, finally set all the (70+!) attachment nodes on all of the cores, alongside getting the final wedges transferred into the game. 

hmEwaWI.gif

9 hours ago, TK421d said:

is that the same suppy bags from SSPX?  or are they smaller to fit inside the shrouds?

either way they look great :P   cant believe how long ive been watching this drooling and waiting.   drooling and waiting...

@Nertea's mods are a huge inspiration - but I'd rather make my own models instead of riding off his hard work. The profile of the wedges changed so they've had to be remodeled from scratch. We all have the same aesthetic goals, so our parts should tie in well together, I hope:)

Yeah it's taken far too long to release. I'm going to have to cut some parts out just so i can release the mod, but they'll be coming in future updates. 

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@Daishi the work and detail on the strapping is PHENOMINAL... :wink:

Gotta make sure they don't float away!

Update regarding the new licencing agreement released a few days ago, specifically this block of text.

USER CREATED CONTENT: The Software may allow you to create content, including, but not limited to, a gameplay map, scenario, screenshot, car design, character, item, or video of your game play. In exchange for use of the Software, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Software give rise to any copyright interest, you hereby grant Licensor an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable, and sub-licensable worldwide right and license to use your contributions in any way and for any purpose in connection with the Software and related goods and services, including, but not limited to, the rights to reproduce, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions without any further notice or compensation to you of any kind for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions. You hereby waive and agree never to assert any moral rights of paternity, publication, reputation, or attribution with respect to Licensor's and other players' use and enjoyment of such assets in connection with the Software and related goods and services under applicable law. This license grant to Licensor, and terms above regarding any applicable moral rights, will survive any termination of this Agreement.

Until a Squad rep confirms (@Darth Badie , @UomoCapra , @RoverDude) that I will continue to retain all rights to my work going forward, consider my projects frozen and development ceased. I will not release something I've been working on for over a year, just for T2 to slap this "all current licenses are void" on my work and then incorporate it into their IP without any thanks, attribution, or compensation on my part.

For a game built on the work of some outstanding modders, this is shady and completely goes against the spirit of the community. Unless this EULA is amended, my work is as good as stolen under Take Two, and I see no point continuing to create free content for a publisher that doesn't show me a shred of basic human respect.

Edited by Daishi

2 hours ago, Daishi said:

Update regarding the new licencing agreement released a few days ago, specifically this block of text.

Until a Squad rep confirms (@Darth Badie , @UomoCapra , @RoverDude) that I will continue to retain all rights to my work going forward, consider my projects frozen and development ceased. I will not release something I've been working on for over a year, just for T2 to slap this "all current licenses are void" on my work and then incorporate it into their IP without any thanks, attribution, or compensation on my part.

For a game built on the work of some outstanding modders, this is shady and completely goes against the spirit of the community. Unless this EULA is amended, my work is as good as stolen under Take Two, and I see no point continuing to create free content for a publisher that doesn't show me a shred of basic human respect.

Obviously I can't give a definitive answer here, but the way I read this is that user created content created using tools provided by the software become the intellectual property of T2. For example, you would have no claim to missions created using the mission editor in the Making History expansion, or craft created in the VAB and what have you. Do the assets you are developing require any software included with KSP to create?

Either way, I find the terms disagreeable. I hope you get a good response Daishi, Universal Storage is too good to die!

Edit: The line "to the extent that your contributions through use of the Software give rise to any copyright interest" is what makes me think you will be in the clear to continue your work and retain your intellectual property.

Edited by Derb
Clarity

31 minutes ago, Derb said:

Do the assets you are developing require any software included with KSP to create?

Yes, all part mods use PartTools to convert our models into a format KSP can use, as an extension to the Unity game engine. This plugin was developed by a Squad employee.

4 minutes ago, Daishi said:

Yes, all part mods use PartTools to convert our models into a format KSP can use, as an extension to the Unity game engine. This plugin was developed by a Squad employee.

But it isn't bundled with KSP, right?

Edit: If it isn't bundled with KSP, refer to it's license.

Edited by Derb

No, but this standard blanket EULA clarifies nothing, references nothing specific to KSP, and being as vague as it is, reinforces Take Two's omnipotent rights at the expense of our own. We need an official statement to proceed with supporting this game. 

Edited by Daishi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.