[WIP] Universal Storage

Just substitute "The Software" with KSP, and you're good on that front. I don't like the EULA myself, but outside the realm of in game mission creation, ship creation, or anything you are capable of doing within the game, anything created outside that you retain the rights. PartTools seems like it might confuse things, but did you use PartTools to create your models, or did you feed your models into PartTools and then into KSP? PartTools as far as I can tell is unlicensed software separate from KSP, and even if it fell under the same EULA, using KSP and PartTools alone, is it possible to create this parts mod? If you created material outside these programs, you retain the IP, even when fed into the programs which fall under that EULA, however generic.

I hope Squad will confirm this, but it is entirely possible that they aren't going to say anything, at least without consulting their legal department, who will most likely tell them to say nothing.

As written, if T2 did take your content without permission, you would have a very good day in court.

Edit: Looks like the courts would side with you if Oracle v Google is any indication.

Edited by Derb

On 2/24/2018 at 10:58 PM, Daishi said:

Update regarding the new licencing agreement released a few days ago, specifically this block of text.

Until a Squad rep confirms (@Darth Badie , @UomoCapra , @RoverDude) that I will continue to retain all rights to my work going forward, consider my projects frozen and development ceased. I will not release something I've been working on for over a year, just for T2 to slap this "all current licenses are void" on my work and then incorporate it into their IP without any thanks, attribution, or compensation on my part.

For a game built on the work of some outstanding modders, this is shady and completely goes against the spirit of the community. Unless this EULA is amended, my work is as good as stolen under Take Two, and I see no point continuing to create free content for a publisher that doesn't show me a shred of basic human respect.

I hope the update the EULA, and you are able to release this, I've been checking in on this thread, and waiting for this for over a year! Please let me know if you're looking for someone to test while you wait for the license update!

Reading the licence, the line below would suggest to me (I'm not an expert) that anything you post in the forums, becomes the exclusive property of Take2 and you loose all right to it.
Now, I understand that Take2 need rights to use and share anything you post on the forums or wiki because it's their website and they are distributing the content every time the page loads.

But exclusive rights would suggest to me that if you upload a screen shot, then you can't use that same screen short on your own website, especially if that website is monetized in some way.  I would think that linking to something, as opposed to uploading it would be OK because you haven't submitted anything (except maybe the link code), but some clarification would be good.  Especially as this comes from a locked forum post with a lack of reassurance or confirmation and Take2's history with the modding community.

SUBMISSIONS

The Company welcomes input from the gaming community. You hereby grant the Company an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable, and sub-licensable worldwide right and license to use any submissions you submit to the Company of any nature whatsoever, whether through a posting on a Company website, email to the Company, mail, or any other means and without any obligation to account, credit, or make any payment to you for any use thereof. No purported reservation of rights incorporated in or accompanying any submission shall have any force or effect.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:24 AM, Paul Kingtiger said:

Reading the licence, the line below would suggest to me (I'm not an expert) that anything you post in the forums, becomes the exclusive property of Take2 and you loose all right to it.
Now, I understand that Take2 need rights to use and share anything you post on the forums or wiki because it's their website and they are distributing the content every time the page loads.

But exclusive rights would suggest to me that if you upload a screen shot, then you can't use that same screen short on your own website, especially if that website is monetized in some way.  I would think that linking to something, as opposed to uploading it would be OK because you haven't submitted anything (except maybe the link code), but some clarification would be good.  Especially as this comes from a locked forum post with a lack of reassurance or confirmation and Take2's history with the modding community.

Hummm... I see it more like Take2 making sure they can't be sued for... well... any reason. Facebook have the same thing you know. It doesn't mean they will steal your stuff.

• 1 month later...

Development has resumed. 

Revision of the EVA-X, the lifesupport extender wearable with KAS. Features a small antenna for communication to a ground lander, and high capacity tankage for greater endurance. 

rniDTwl.png

KAS expandable wedges, in addition to a radial toolbox

screenshot97.png

Spawnable mounting hardware on core attachment, with redone LF and monoprop tanks. Optional for low-end machines.

Untitled-1.gif

Waste gas storage

bnbnbbn.PNG

Edited by Daishi

4 hours ago, Daishi said:

Spawnable mounting hardware on core attachment, with redone LF and monoprop tanks. Optional for low-end machines.

How does this work? Does it spawn in when the node is connected to something, or use a mesh switch button?

1 minute ago, Derb said:

How does this work? Does it spawn in when the node is connected to something, or use a mesh switch button?

I just modeled extra piping as a stock "engine" fairing that spawns in when the attachment node was used. Once it's on, you can toggle it off in the right click menu. 

I've been toying with some kind of "fake" ambient occlusion for a while to help make the wedges "sit" in the bays more believably, this was kinda the result. Nothing else really worked well enough to justify the time i'd spend on it.

@Daishi my friend, you scared the snot out of me. I was waiting a couple weeks to see how things went, but I was ready to organize a petition to get Squad to give you some kind of insurance (or hire you) just to make sure this mod was not lost. I couldn't even look at KSP!

The new developments are beautiful! I can't wait to see what comes next!

Thanks guys! Small update, new radial tanks. These are meshswitchable to support essentially every resource the wedges contain, so you're not just limited to 02, food and water for your small landing excursions. Labels will be optional for those who want a craft that isn't covered in decals :)

h.png

Edited by Daishi

11 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

Oh wow, I didnt know there was a refresh of US in the works. I love the new external shroud system, the "scalloped" effect with the old shrouded wedges at larger sizes always bugged me .

Yeah it always bugged me too. The revamp has been on-and-off amongst lots of real life dramas, but i'm happy to say we're very close to a first release :)

On 4/27/2018 at 1:11 AM, Daishi said:

Yeah it always bugged me too. The revamp has been on-and-off amongst lots of real life dramas, but i'm happy to say we're very close to a first release :)

Is that a new signature in anticipation of the 2.0 release you got there? :wink:

5 hours ago, storm6436 said:

Surely I'm not the only person refreshing this every day hoping to find a release post... :D

Follow this thread and wait for it. Unread followed posts is a mighty spell;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.