[WIP] Universal Storage

On 9/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, Daishi said:

Cheers! Yeah with all the tank variants, version 2 was always going to be a little harder to work with. MM patching proper fuels is possible though, but i'd be a big job that'll tie up a lot of time. Not sure if someone on the RO threads would jump at the chance, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them :)  RO is one of the reasons why we created legacy game versions for 1.3, so it's definitely something we'd like to see done. If something doesn't make sense in the configs we'll try our best to help them here :)

RO team is busy with upcoming release, so I'm making configs myself. And I come with questions:)
Most of configs for simple parts are already done, some require more precise balancing. The only major thing left is RealFuels. I've been playing with your switching modules and US2 code and came up to these options:

1. MM Wizardry.  For fuel-related parts we can add empty ModuleFuleTank, remove USFuelSwitch and use USModuleSwitch to change MFT's volume, also let USMassSwitch/USCostSwitch do their things. This should do the trick on parts that change only in height, but it wont be a clean solution for things like Hex and Octo which have additional modes. CLS-passable variant leave part with crew tube and tank with zero volume. Though planned monoprop and xenon modes could be regarded just at usual fuel, I guess. Or... you know, what if we switch between these three visual tank variants and also switch MFT tank type between Default, Cryogenic and ServiceModule? This will require yet another USSwitchControl+USModuleSwitch tho, which also shouldn't be visible when part has no tank. Is it even possible currently, I mean this conditional button behavior?
Correct me if I'm wrong. As I understand USSwitchControl is just buttons, it doesn't know how many states there are, it just tells every other module with same SwitchID that button was pressed? And it's up them to act accordingly and keep track of current states. And if we have a bunch of modules listening to same SwitchID, but some of them have for example 5 possible states while other have 4, than pressing button long enough should cause them to "unsync", right?
Also this is "Then rebalanced with other structure parts (see Universal Storage 2 Excel workbook)" being mentioned in all configs, but I can't seems to find it anywhere.

2. Out of the box RF support. Cleaner and more consistent option, but implies changes on US2 side. What I've tried so far:
Added a couple of methods into USTools.cs to check and keep track of whether RealFuels is installed and whether part has ModuleFuleTank. Made USFuelSwitch.setupTankInPart() account for presence of RealFuels, and add new MFT if there is none, or change it's volume(wipes the content tho), or delete MFT module if we are in "Structural" mode. Testing showed that some numbers are a bit off but in general everything looks good. I think there is a way to make it add not just an empty tank of various sizes but also put intended resource in it, without changing current USFuelSwitch config structure too much.

So what do you think would be a better way?
W4r9600.png

I'd go with an out of the box thing - for all the mods we support by default, RO\RSS should be one of them. You'll have to wait till Dmagic or Paul get on though, I have literally no experience in this stuff. :D Paul's Onedrive (linked through his website) should have the correct balance sheet in there. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvmqbLkW8UIHiq8guN4JFve4EZgcng

VE68UNJ.gif

As part of the massive fix up job i need to do, i decided to redo the shoddy mesh on the door internals. No more holes, z-fighting, stretched UVs, or blocky ribbing that doesn't match up with the external skins! (ignore that stretched caution tape, WIP of course :P) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Right, all the fixes and upgrading has been done! Took a heck of a lot longer than i had hoped, but at least the project is now sitting in a modern version of Unity, and ready for any fancy new thing Squad'll throw at us with 1.6 :D  Alongside the mesh fixes, i've redesigned the first two heights of the 1.25m Porkjet themed shrouds to better fit alongside it's main pairing (the new MK1), plus created a "MK1" variant for the 1.25m ACD.

225Lb4I.png 

In addition...

* The 1.875m -> 2.5m and the 1.5m -> 1.875m adaptor shroud\fairing have had their deployment limits extended, so now the bays can be used for rover pods, with ramps you can drive down...
* No more holes in the bottoms of the 2.5m doors, or random parts of the other shrouds. I've essentially rebuilt these all over again :)
* Collision meshes have been redone (more on the perks of this later!)
* Added CMs to the inside panels of the BDB shroud, so it's now easier to attach other odds and ends inside
* 0.625m shroud has had its door hinge pivoting fixed, plus it now has a thicker mounting mesh at the back
* Tidied up the external shroud textures, and fixed a lot of the bleeding colours from the other variants in the Saturn and Gemini pallets.

With all that out of the way, i'm now tearing into the soon-to-be stock-US2 science parts!  We have a combo Thermometer\Barometer on the left, and a combo Accelerometer\Gravioli on the right. These will both be one wedge high, with the Mystery Goo (maybe?) and Materials bay coming in at double height units. 

Edited by Daishi
Gravioli Gravioli give me the formuoli

11 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Nice!  Is that one or two uses of the experiment?  (With the two internal canisters, I could see it being two 'charges'.)

Depending on how far we want to stray from just using the stock experiment system (probably a lot, we have Dmagic's help after all!) - we could definitely shake it up. I am planning a little centrifuge in the containment unit, so in total there'll be like three different 'states' of goo. Spherical on the left (pressurised?), two vials of environmentally exposed goo in the middle, and highly spun samples on the right. 

Might have to place it higher in the tech tree or make it expensive, don't want to make it too OP

My one problem with pushing it up the tech tree is quite often that ends up with the parts unlocking to late to actually be useful for me - especially with US parts, which tend to be early-game parts for me due to the sizes of the ships they work best with.  (Though having larger bases and shrouds helps that.)

Goo is in the start node, so you could probably just put it in whatever node the initial US shrouds and cores are in. Having a better version of the goo pod available relatively soon probably wouldn't affect balance too much. It would just make things a bit less tedious.

Edited by DMagic

19 hours ago, DMagic said:

Goo is in the start node, so you could probably just put it in whatever node the initial US shrouds and cores are in. Having a better version of the goo pod available relatively soon probably wouldn't affect balance too much. It would just make things a bit less tedious.

True true! 
Material bay blocking in  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to change up the goo - no reason why it needed to look the way it did, and not take up the rest of the space of the bay :)

So now it's a two-cartridge design! UVs are still a bit botched, but texturing is just around the corner. 

Edited by Daishi

16 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Tis glorious, good sir.

When can we break ... erm... Field test? (Yeah, we'll go with that) Field test these fantastic new parts?

Not too long, we'll push these out asap before anything else. Just got the material bay to do now, just got to get over this new years hangover :P

vGPOQiZ.png

On 1/2/2019 at 7:44 AM, Brigadier said:

Is it any different from all the other hangovers? :cool:

No comment :o

7Ci6Dak.gif

HagpYVP.png

Almost there! Few odds and ends to fix and animate, but we're definitely on the home stretch ;D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.