[WIP] Universal Storage

21 minutes ago, ev0 said:

Will that music play when you use this part in the actual game? lol

Wow i didn't even realise they supported audio now by default. Urk i gotta be more careful with what I play :P

This part is now realised by the way, check out the release thread to grab a beta build and the science parts too!

Edited by Daishi

Straw poll! Working on solar now, and made a large mistake. Urgh

cjrktCo.png

The cells are far too small. I thought I had them scaled to match the Restock standard, but they're twice as dense. The colours match at least :\

nN0bxMO.png

Should I try and retain the internal solar panel cell size to the new scale, or keep them as they are? 

I say keep them.  The small cells look good, and there's plenty of mods with different-looking solar cells.  These actually somewhat match, and there could be some manufacturing reason for the smaller cells, as it's a somewhat different use-case.

4 hours ago, DStaal said:

I say keep them.  The small cells look good, and there's plenty of mods with different-looking solar cells.  These actually somewhat match, and there could be some manufacturing reason for the smaller cells, as it's a somewhat different use-case.

Completely agree as long as there is balance in the Ec production.

Edited by Brigadier

I can even give you a decent in-world reason, if you want one:

The solar panels will fail on a per-cell basis.  Even a small damage to one cell will render the whole cell inoperable. As the interior of of the cargo bay doors, they're more likely to be damaged - so smaller cells will help maintain overall effectiveness.  (And as the door to the cargo bay, the weight penalty of the extra wiring isn't as great.)

9 hours ago, DStaal said:

I can even give you a decent in-world reason, if you want one:

The solar panels will fail on a per-cell basis.  Even a small damage to one cell will render the whole cell inoperable. As the interior of of the cargo bay doors, they're more likely to be damaged - so smaller cells will help maintain overall effectiveness.  (And as the door to the cargo bay, the weight penalty of the extra wiring isn't as great.)

Good enough for me :P

Small optional aesthetic tweak to the smallest adaptor shroud, seeing as the top node didn't really fit any nosecones. Alongside the solar update (after the science one, due soon) we'll be releasing that cylindrical 1.875m shroud, a 1.25m to 1.875m adaptor shroud, and maybe a spherical one for the Tantares\Russian market :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, OldMold said:

Hey just wanted to say thank you for this amazing series of mods. It's been a staple of all my games, and it's been awesome to see how much better each version gets!

Thank you very much! We aim to please :)

e1FPU2B.png

Plotting the standalone solar panel wedges. If we can get it working, these will be multi-axis tracking - so you shouldn't ever be in a situation where your craft has a solar deadspot. 

Yay\nay? Should this be a later part upgrade to a basic solar wedge, or a separate part alongside a conventional stock-a-like tracking panel? 

58 minutes ago, Daishi said:

Yay\nay? Should this be a later part upgrade to a basic solar wedge, or a separate part alongside a conventional stock-a-like tracking panel? 

I like it - but I'd say a separate, more expensive, part.  Dual-axis tracking is very nice for some things, but is often overkill I find.

On 4/7/2019 at 5:38 AM, Daishi said:

Thank you very much! We aim to please :)

e1FPU2B.png

Plotting the standalone solar panel wedges. If we can get it working, these will be multi-axis tracking - so you shouldn't ever be in a situation where your craft has a solar deadspot. 

Yay, but not as a default part.

If a part's upgrade can be toggled on/off in the VAB, then yay as an upgrade. If it cannot be toggled, then yay as a standalone. As the other guy said, this upgrade can be overkill.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, ev0 said:

Yay, but not as a default part.

If a part's upgrade can be toggled on/off in the VAB, then yay as an upgrade. If it cannot be toggled, then yay as a standalone. As the other guy said, this upgrade can be overkill.

Noted! Might make it a separate part in the meantime, once we get the parts to have unlockable functionality we'll try merge them up then. 

In similar news - there's no point continuing to work on solar when i haven't finished the shrouds they'll be mounted on. Starting work on a 1.25m -> 1.5m shroud (Tantares profile) that will be extendable, giving the option to create a Vostok SM, up to a large Soyuz variant. Will open (somehow) like a clam! Not sure if i'll keep the spherical tanks, as there are stock parts for that. 

5tjbmCR.png

We're also doing a dorky looking 1.25m -> 1.875m shroud that we might spin as a "mini Gemini", and of course the 1.875m cylindrical one. The 1.25m -> 1.875m has a small inset that allows you to mount the heatshield or decoupler inside it, so you get a relatively smooth conical profile.  

kB8tAzr.png

• 1 month later...

Neat. Don't forget the radiators on the lower half. :) If you make the lower half, that is.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

DRGZUFs.png

Interior texturing almost complete, alongside the two, three, and four high Soyuz-profiled inner structures.

7SU1l6s.png

On 5/17/2019 at 11:34 AM, Dragon01 said:

Neat. Don't forget the radiators on the lower half. :) If you make the lower half, that is.

I'll see what's possible :)

Just FIY, the toroidal thing in the back was an avionics compartment and could be jettisoned. Should probably be a separate part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.