[WIP] Universal Storage

25 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Just FIY, the toroidal thing in the back was an avionics compartment and could be jettisoned. Should probably be a separate part.

From what's I've read, it was a fuel tank used to extend the spacecraft's range during the early days of the Russian moonshot program. Retained until the 7k-OK model, then removed once they realised Soyuz was only going to be used in LEO from 1970 onwards. Considering the Vostok\single height variant has built in fuel, would be a nice distinction for the other variants to have something too :) 

A more reliable source states it was an avionics bay (it's been very frequently misidentified as a fuel tank, though):
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz-7k-ok.html

It was indeed a moonshot-specific element, though. Avionics of the time were bulky, heavy vacuum tube electronics. This bay was supposed to contain the equipment used to send the Soyuz stack to the Moon. Once there, it would be ejected to save mass before the return burn. This configuration dates all the way back to the early Soyuz-A proposal, and was necessary due to rather limited capabilities of the Soyuz-B transfer stage. 

On 6/11/2019 at 12:00 AM, Dragon01 said:

A more reliable source states it was an avionics bay (it's been very frequently misidentified as a fuel tank, though):
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz-7k-ok.html

It was indeed a moonshot-specific element, though. Avionics of the time were bulky, heavy vacuum tube electronics. This bay was supposed to contain the equipment used to send the Soyuz stack to the Moon. Once there, it would be ejected to save mass before the return burn. This configuration dates all the way back to the early Soyuz-A proposal, and was necessary due to rather limited capabilities of the Soyuz-B transfer stage. 

Ah well, that's a shame. Still for the scope of this mod, i'll just keep it as a basic tank. There'll be no end to this mod if I start making parts like that :)

4 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

I just wanted to say that I think you guys have been doing some of the best modeling work in the KSP world. BDB, Restock, US all raise the bar significantly. Among others, of course.

Thank you so much, that means a lot :D

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2019 at 12:51 PM, Daishi said:

We're also doing a dorky looking 1.25m -> 1.875m shroud that we might spin as a "mini Gemini", and of course the 1.875m cylindrical one. The 1.25m -> 1.875m has a small inset that allows you to mount the heatshield or decoupler inside it, so you get a relatively smooth conical profile.  

kB8tAzr.png

Really looking forward to this one! I've just been using a US 4-core and 5-core covered with a fairing for just this purpose, but a dedicated US shroud would be amazing!

Edited by subyng

On 8/11/2019 at 12:45 AM, Dragon01 said:

That looks nice. Lack of overt warning stripes is a welcome addition. :) Think you could make a thermal blanket version? 

It's doable but i'd have to put it off till after this next update. I do want to release it at some point! :)

On 8/11/2019 at 7:11 AM, subyng said:

Really looking forward to this one! I've just been using a US 4-core and 5-core covered with a fairing for just this purpose, but a dedicated US shroud would be amazing!

:D

On 8/15/2019 at 1:49 PM, RedParadize said:

@Daishi they look fantastic. Do they open?

Of course! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to humbly make a feature suggestion: could wedges have built in decouplers? I had the idea that the probe core wedge could be used as a standalone probe and with a bunch of them attached to the US cores, if the cores could detach themselves, you would have a  satellite bus!

Edited by subyng

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2019 at 4:02 AM, subyng said:

I'd like to humbly make a feature suggestion: could wedges have built in decouplers? I had the idea that the probe core wedge could be used as a standalone probe and with a bunch of them attached to the US cores, if the cores could detach themselves, you would have a  satellite bus!

We used to do that in the old version of the mod, but I think people had a few too many accidents during staging and we rolled it back. We are planning on a specific part to do what you want though, i'll post a bit about it when we're a little closer to releasing it.

And yes, development is still ongoing! Just want to get things right before showing the new stuff off :)

• 4 weeks later...

Almost there! Unfortunately the 1.875m cylindrical will have to wait (again); i'd rather get this next update out within the decade and not draw things out even longer. :confused: Just the import into unity and a few final specular and normal map steps to go, and fingers crossed we'll have a beta build very soon! 

MKFIMYz.png

yYRWM6t.png

JpMhW4y.png

QHH041u.png

jOdxif5.jpg
WTzpcvF.jpg

Edited by Daishi

• 3 weeks later...

I asked this in the main thread, but got no response.

Is the issue of wedge values not saving and the UI bugging out when you change wedge size fixed in the upcoming release?  The issue w/ wedge values specifically make it tough to balance assymetric service modules, since they reset to full when the craft file is loaded.

The new models look great, btw!  Loving the look of the service modules. 

16 hours ago, TicTac said:

I asked this in the main thread, but got no response.

Is the issue of wedge values not saving and the UI bugging out when you change wedge size fixed in the upcoming release?  The issue w/ wedge values specifically make it tough to balance assymetric service modules, since they reset to full when the craft file is loaded.

The new models look great, btw!  Loving the look of the service modules. 

That's a pretty big issue, i'm pretty sure it is? What version of the mod are you using? I'll give it a check tonight. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.