Resizing Parts

So this isn't technically an add-on question, as I'm just trying to modify stock parts for little projects of my own.

Anyway, I like building small rockets/probes/etc and I've been wanting to try my hand at micro-sized planes now. I've made small changes to the .cfg files of different parts before, just for the sake of experimenting. So I decided to try making a half scale (.625m) turbojet engine. I set the scale to .5 rather than 1 and halved the mass, thrust, and a handful of other properties. And when I loaded KSP, the new part (with the correct table and cost/thrust/mass values I gave it) was there, but at exactly the same size as the original. The attachment point simply moved into the approximate center of the part, rather than at the flush end where it would normally attach to a craft.

So I'm just wondering if there's another value I can modify to get the result I want of a half-sized jet engine. If it's more complicated than that, then that's all I need to know and I suppose I'll try to hunt up yet another mod for a few more small-scale parts. Thanks!

If the part uses a MODEL scale, you need to set that to the inverse of what you want, and then set the rescale factor for what you want. For example, if you want to double a part's size, set the MODEL scale to half of whatever it is, and set the rescaleFactor = 2.0. If it doesn't have a model scale, just use the rescale factor.

If the part uses a MODEL scale, you need to set that to the inverse of what you want, and then set the rescale factor for what you want. For example, if you want to double a part's size, set the MODEL scale to half of whatever it is, and set the rescaleFactor = 2.0. If it doesn't have a model scale, just use the rescale factor.

That's pretty much Greek to me, unfortunately. If changing the MODEL scale is an edit done to the model.mu file of the part, then I have no way of opening that. I'm dealing just with the config file. The only parameter dealing with scale there is simply 'scale' like this:

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

scale = .5

Which was originally set to 1. Changing it to .5 didn't have the desired effect, though I suspected it wouldn't be that simple.

scale affects only the node_**** lines. rescaleFactor affects the model and the nodes.

(If there is no rescaleFactor in a part.cfg it is assumed to be 1.25)

As brooklyn666 says, MODEL nodes make things more complicated; but thus far only mod parts have used them.

That's pretty much Greek to me, unfortunately. If changing the MODEL scale is an edit done to the model.mu file of the part, then I have no way of opening that. I'm dealing just with the config file. The only parameter dealing with scale there is simply 'scale' like this:

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

scale = .5

Which was originally set to 1. Changing it to .5 didn't have the desired effect, though I suspected it wouldn't be that simple.

leave the scale alone. It's the rescaleFactor that you need to change. You can just add it in the cfg if it's not there.

example:

@PART[partname]
{
mass = x
rescaleFactor = x
}

Thank you for so much for the helpful and prompt replies. And for not making someone who was totally out of his depth feel silly :P

There wasn't a rescaleFactor line, so I added one per your examine and it works just as intended. Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.