[WIP] CoffeeIndustries Plane Parts - Jetliner and cargo planes

CoffeeSE

Heat tile belly or sky blue camo?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Heat tile belly or sky blue camo?

• Heat tile
    • Sky blue camo

I've been spending a little time looking into working up FAR cfgs for these wings but haven't had much success yet figuring out how to calculate most of the values. If anyone can point me towards some good resource it would be appreciated. I already posted in the FAR thread but no help there yet...

I've been spending a little time looking into working up FAR cfgs for these wings but haven't had much success yet figuring out how to calculate most of the values. If anyone can point me towards some good resource it would be appreciated. I already posted in the FAR thread but no help there yet...

Nice I wish I could help but I know squat in that department, But if this gets working with FAR I'll download it in a hot minute.

I see your problem and I'm not sure how to help. But you may try asking Firespitter developers, because they do have their own codes for the parts to work in FAR environment.

we had a nice discussion in the FAR thread and I'm very close to completing a FAR config for the main aero parts (swept, straight, horizontal and vertical wings). Should be ready tomorrow if final tweaking/testing goes well. I'll also be updating the FAR wiki with a complete Blender2.7 tutorial for finding these values.

Here it is. The cockpit uses .MBM, while the fuselage has .TGA. There's a pinkish tint all over the fuselage. Don't know why...

I think I do. When I converted the textures to PNG to remove the CI logo from the tail (sorry :P) and used that in the game I too noticed a pinkish tone, but when I viewed the texture image in Paint.NET it looked fine. So I opened up the image adjustments window and dragged the Saturation value all the way to max and saw the textures pick up a pinkish look. So I desaturated them to 0 and saved the image and they look a lot better now in the game

And done. Enjoy! Any problems, post over the the FAR thread. Note that these surfaces generally should be tilted up/down slightly to generate some extra lift/downforce if you notice your Cm (yellow line) in the static analysis window staying under 0 across the whole AoA chart. For example (check ferram's response below. Also next response below that. With these changes she flew)

I've used MM2.x.x to make sure that this cfg can be included with the main part pack and won't affect users that don't have FAR installed.

FAR wiki updated if anyone wants to know how this was done, and do it for more parts.

@PART[planeWingSweptN]:NEEDS[FERRAMAEROSPACERESEARCH]
{
// zero out all stock values, remove stock module
@module = Part
@maximum_drag = 0
@minimum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
@dragCoeff = 0
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0

// add custom FAR values
MODULE
{
name = FARControllableSurface // or FARWingAerodynamicModel for non-controllable wings
MAC = 2.32 // Tip = 1.23m | Root = 3.4m
MidChordSweep = 16.67 // Leading sweep 21.8* | Trailing sweep 11.54*
b_2 = 11.19 // Root to tip in meters
TaperRatio = 0.36 // Ratio of tip chord to root chord
e = 0.87 // Drag per lift, lower equals more drag (based on FAR setting for Squad swept wing)
nonSideAttach = 0 // 0 for canard-like / normal wing pieces, 1 for ctrlsurfaces attached to the back of other wing parts
maxdeflect = 15 // Default maximum deflection value; only used by FARControlableSurface
ctrlSurfFrac = 0.09 // wing surface area = 43.56 | control surface area = 3.796
}
}

@PART[planeWingStraightN]:NEEDS[FERRAMAEROSPACERESEARCH]
{
@module = Part
@maximum_drag = 0
@minimum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
@dragCoeff = 0
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0

MODULE
{
name = FARControllableSurface
MAC = 2.54 // Tip = 1.7m | Root = 3.38m
MidChordSweep = 4.33 // Leading sweep 8.66*
b_2 = 11.18
TaperRatio = 0.5
e = 0.85
nonSideAttach = 0
maxdeflect = 15
ctrlSurfFrac = 0.12 // wing surface area = 53.19 | control surface area = 6.53
}
}

@PART[planeWingHori]:NEEDS[FERRAMAEROSPACERESEARCH]
{
@module = Part
@maximum_drag = 0
@minimum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
@dragCoeff = 0
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0

MODULE
{
MAC = 1.27 // Tip = .68m | Root = 1.86m
MidChordSweep = 15.89 // Leading sweep 25.02* | Trailing sweep 6.76*
b_2 = 3.35
TaperRatio = 0.37
e = 0.8
nonSideAttach = 0
maxdeflect = 15
ctrlSurfFrac = 0.35 // wing surface area = 7.32 | control surface area = 2.57
}
}

@PART[planeWingVert1]:NEEDS[FERRAMAEROSPACERESEARCH]
{
@module = Part
@maximum_drag = 0
@minimum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
@dragCoeff = 0
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0

MODULE
{
MAC = 2.36 // Tip = 1.41m | Root = 3.31m
MidChordSweep = 30.18 // Leading sweep 41.96* | Trailing sweep 18.39*
b_2 = 3.35
TaperRatio = 0.43
e = 0.7 // vertical surface, not meant to generate much lift
nonSideAttach = 0
maxdeflect = 15
ctrlSurfFrac = 0.23 // wing surface area = 13.8 | control surface area = 3.2
}
}

Oh yea, I also forgot to post a RealFuels cfg for anyone using RF in conjunction with AJE. 750l is stored in the Mk1 1m fuselage, so I figured 600l for the wings was a good number

@PART[planeWingS*]:AFTER[FERRAMAEROSPACERESEARCH]:NEEDS[REALFUELS]
{
!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 600
type = Structural
}
}

Edited by Gaiiden
moar stuff + FAR Wiki update

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
And done. Enjoy! Any problems, post over the the FAR thread. Note that these surfaces generally should be tilted up/down slightly to generate some extra lift/downforce if you notice your Cm (yellow line) in the static analysis window staying under 0 across the whole AoA chart. For example (check ferram's response below. Also next response below that. With these changes she flew)

I've used MM2.x.x to make sure that this cfg can be included with the main part pack and won't affect users that don't have FAR installed.

FAR wiki updated if anyone wants to know how this was done, and do it for more parts.

Oh yea, I also forgot to post a RealFuels cfg for anyone using RF in conjunction with AJE. 750l is stored in the Mk1 1m fuselage, so I figured 600l for the wings was a good number

This is what I've been wishing for for the longest time now, I'm glad I stumbled across it! +1 to you :D

I never understood how people so concered with having a realistic drag and flight model could tolerate ALL of the fuel being in the fuselage. That's the last place any real aircraft puts it after all :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is very good in concept, but needs some tweaks.

For one, gaps. There are gaps between fuselage parts, which is irritating, but I assume can be a simple fix.

For two, wings. The wings should use a node to attach directly onto a fuselage-wing segment. There are more gaps here currently, which could be changed with a node (and perhaps a slight model tweak).

For three, more about wings. Engines attached to the bottom of wings sometimes has a weird gap. This is likely an issue with a collision mesh. Also, this mod should include its own ailerons and flaps for the wings, or built-in ones.

Finally, engines and landing gear. There should be bigger engines to attach under the wings. And heavy landing gear would be very nice, too. Similar to KAX's.

Anyway, I do appreciate this mod, but I was pointing out some issues. Best of luck!

(Also, I really want a way to attach the KSO to the top of this...)

EDIT - Also, a question. Will the cargo bay fit the KSOS Phase IV vehicles?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

• 2 weeks later...
Hey >_> Anybody know how to do props for RPM configs? cause the current version is seemingly not updated i belive.

Nope, unfortunately I don't think it is being supported by the OP anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Idea. Do parts for the spruce goose and the Saunders-Roe SR.45 Princess and maybe use some HL submarine codes to get the floating without making a billion little splashes which gets very annoying, and maybe get together with keptin and snjo for doing the engines?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I've received permission from CoffeSE to continue the mod ... but because I'm a total noob. All I can do is really Update the Parts. If anybody wants to help PM me. cause... I could use some help as I have NO experience modeling, But i do know how to update .CFG's  so I'm gonna see what i can do in that respect.

((I have been given some updated .CFG's along with some stuff changed over from various Textures to .dds I'mma try and do that myself. so thanks to spannermonkey for that.))

also Look out for my own thread in time to come.

Edited by Hellbrand

@Hellbrand good on you! I actually have fully working versions of all of Coffee's work (that I got from the KS torrent) including converted .dds textures. However, I never intended to re-release them (although I am currently rehosting his two other works at the moment), and as such some of the descriptions/names would need to be changed and somethings tweaked if they were to be released. You're welcome to them if you'd like (let me just fix them up quick), Let me know if you need any help.:)

Is CoffeeSE still around by the way?

The license included with the download is http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ by the way, since the OP was destroyed.

Edited by Deimos Rast

6 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

@Hellbrand good on you! I actually have fully working versions of all of Coffee's work (that I got from the KS torrent) including converted .dds textures. However, I never intended to re-release them (although I am currently rehosting is two other works at the moment), and as such some of the descriptions/names would need to be changed and somethings tweaked if they were to be released. You're welcome to them if you'd like (let me just fix them up quick), Let me know if you need any help.:)

Is CoffeeSE still around by the way?

The license included with the download is http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ by the way, since the OP was destroyed.

well... he's not around on KSP anymore... BUT! he is  still alive on the biggest  time waster on the internet... IMGUR!, Wich is how I found him His Computer died, Along with all the source for the primary stuff for Coffee Industries. but I do have this message from him. (*digs for gyazo link* https://gyazo.com/033e2b824ae3e18696ab0b6fbe7cefdf Boom!  ) Stating i can do as I please With Whatever I can find. I'd appreciate any sort of help on the project if possible.

Also If yo ucould pass me what you've got of his it would be great, I'm just trying to make sure I have everything i can get my hands on of the mod before i re-compile it into a release.

Edited by Hellbrand

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.