Found something strange in the settings.cfg

firerider521

gP65piU.png

If you don't believe it, just look in your Kerbal Space Program folder.

What would happen if I were to switch it to True? Well, to be honest, I'm too lazy to find out. But you can try!

What's it for? Is it an Easter egg? Does it actually have something to do with the settings? Will it do anything at all?

call_home generally means to contact some server somewhere, possibly sending info about your system.

There may even be a setting in the options to send logs/data/etc when a crash happens to Squad. If it's there, I bet you turned it off or didn't turn it on.

After installing KSP using Steam, I got a pop up window showing a choice for whether or not I wanted to provide Squad/ KSP with my IP. I selected 'No' out of habit for that sort of thing. I suppose it can be enabled if I want to do so.

It's NSA backdoor. They are spying on our rocket designs.

Or NASA studying our designs. Will we be whisked away from our front doorways by a sunglass wearing team of ace, uh, whisker away-ers?

Edit: :)

Edited by Dispatcher
:)

Or NASA studying our designs. Will we be whisked away from our front doorways by a sunglass wearing team of ace, uh, whisker away-ers?

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.:cool:

I read or saw something a few months ago that says there's an in-game option that transmits your progress back to Squad so they can see how people are progressing through the game but that it was turned off by default.

It could be this:

Show Stats Tracking Dialog on Startup

Controls whether or not a message from Squad will pop up, asking about tracking info to improve the game.

Default:Off

Source: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Settings

Edited by Caelib

Those of us who make successful rockets get a knock on the door from NASA. Those who make huge explosions get bundled into a car by the NSA.

They'll look exactly like Jesse Ventura and Alex Trebek.

"No other object has been misidentified as a flying saucer more often than the planet Eve."

Edited by ripvanlemon
speeling

In case you are unaware, that setting allows Squad servers to collect info about your game copy, game ID, version, platform and optionally, your IP address. It's not NASA studying your designs. It's not the devs pulling any NSA shenanigans. No info is given to third parties, either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.