(Asteroid Redirect) Mission Monday

SQUAD

PS: Thank GOODNESS they nerfed the ion engine, that thing was ridiculous. U could even build a MANNED ssto that ran on ion engine and take it anywhere in Kerbal system.

The Ion engine Isp may have been cut in half but its thrust has increased 4 fold to 2kN!

How would it be possible for the Isp of an engine to decrease with altitude? It always increases with decreasing air density.

Exactly, it's basic engineering...

Also a pic from yesterday late stream:

KR-2LYargnit_zps05c9af93.png

ISP Curve fixed :)

Thank GOODNESS they nerfed the ion engine, that thing was ridiculous. U could even build a MANNED ssto that ran on ion engine and take it anywhere in Kerbal system.

An ion powered craft could not achieve Kerbin orbit, let alone in a single stage. They haven't nerfed it exactly; they just traded some Isp for thrust.

An ion powered craft could not achieve Kerbin orbit, let alone in a single stage. They haven't nerfed it exactly; they just traded some Isp for thrust.

No no, I mean having a jet/ion hybrid plane that made orbit using jet engines, then using the ions to reach any other planet in the system.

fair enough, but that doesn't outweigh a mission to let's say : Eve, Duna, Jool, Laythe going wrong because you happily pressed F5 in the atmosphere after a an hour messing around with nodes (which has gotten easier so I've heard) to get there and suddenly you realise you're plummeting down towards ehh Jebs Rebirth... (?)

Don't plan on april first...never plan anything for april first...it wont go right.

April 1st will be when we get the 8-bit version, which is pretty much an Asteroids clone, but with a Kerbal driving the ship.

i wonder what up with asteroid when i grab it it will sent to Mun it could be safe because that Mun is dust and it wont blow up just hit it make big hole u know what i mean if hit kerbal it would be destory planet just damn asteroid to Mun ti could be safe much easy because Mun is dead as million or billion or trillion years ago i think that MUN could been use kerbal before when core is dead so kerbal has core right Mun is dead as cold it could be safe get asteroid to Mun i want to test it no matter see how many MUN has many hole never destory it

i wonder what up with asteroid when i grab it it will sent to Mun it could be safe because that Mun is dust and it wont blow up just hit it make big hole u know what i mean if hit kerbal it would be destory planet just damn asteroid to Mun ti could be safe much easy because Mun is dead as million or billion or trillion years ago i think that MUN could been use kerbal before when core is dead so kerbal has core right Mun is dead as cold it could be safe get asteroid to Mun i want to test it no matter see how many MUN has many hole never destory it

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

"Perhaps the mission could consider it an acceptable outcome for players to redirect asteroids at the Mun, rather than into Kerbal orbit."

That would be realistic. Very heavy asteroids would be too large for us to redirect substantially, but under some circumstances it might be possible to nudge them into striking the Moon, which would be better than allowing it to impact Earth. Admittedly there would be the danger that a very large asteroid/Moon strike could project a multitude of low-mass fragments into Earth orbit and make space travel impossible for a few years, but at least we would have averted an even bigger danger!

Having said that, if we could redirect an asteroid to strike the Moon it would be even easier to direct it into a near-Moon encounter which could throw it well away from Earth!

After watching Scott Manley's "live feed" I must say I am slightly disappointed as it looks like two of the most annoying bugs with conic patches are still not fixed. I am not sure about the first one, where you can be on crash course and the game won't tell you (but I noticed a conic patch without periapsis in his video which is a symptom of that happening), but I am now already sure you're not getting any inclination or closest approach markers when you're on hyperbolic trajectory. And honestly, since most of asteroids are on hyperbolic trajectories when in Kerbin SOI, I really expected that to be fixed to allow ships to comfortably catch up with them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.