To be clear. Asteroids will only appear...

... going towards Kerbin?

EDIT for new readers: What I mean, there'll never be asteroids spawning on trajectories with Duna/Jool, or any other planet. I know they won't all always enter Kerbin, but will the only spawn "near" Kerbin?

And if so, what you guys think are the possibilities of mod changing it?

Edited by Sokar408

In vicinity of Kerbin, yes. Not necessarily going towards it. During marathon i've seen Spootyman sending a mission to an asteroid close to Kerbin, but there was no encounter - only close fly-by. So not all spawned asteroids cross Kerbin's orbit.

They will only appear in the area between Kerbin and Duna, I believe. Some will be heading toward Kerbin, some will be going safely past. It is up to you to decide which ones become permanent objects in the Kerbalverse

I hope they make it so you can track objects for extended periods and doing so produces an accurate trajectory, once an item has an accurate trajectory it becomes permanent, this would give you plenty of time to establish where they are heading and decide whether to intervene.

I hope they make it so you can track objects for extended periods and doing so produces an accurate trajectory, once an item has an accurate trajectory it becomes permanent, this would give you plenty of time to establish where they are heading and decide whether to intervene.

you just described exactly how it works.

In the tracking station you see question marks.

If you click on them you see it's an asteroid and how big it is.

You do not see its trajectory and they are not permanent.

If you then click "track" you get the trajectory and it becomes permanent. Otherwise the asteroids would disappear over time.

Or it ended up in that orbit after a Kerbin flyby.
This is interesting, indeed. I look forward to seeing what the Kerbalverse looks like after a few asteroids are tracked, get a gravity assist from Kerbin, and then take a self-guided grand tour ....

What I mean, there'll never be asteroids spawning on trajectories with Duna/Jool, or any other planet. I know they won't all always enter Kerbin, but will the only spawn "near" Kerbin?

What I mean, there'll never be asteroids spawning on trajectories with Duna/Jool, or any other planet. I know they won't all always enter Kerbin, but will the only spawn "near" Kerbin?

Since this is the "NASA" spacepack, I think they are trying to bring awareness to the real-life mission plan. And that mission only includes near asteroids. I think in the future KSP will open to asteroids in multiple zones, but for now since they are partnering with NASA for this specific mission, the asteroids will be limited. I think a mod will easily be able to tweak starting locations and starting trajectories. I think long-term KSP goals was to include some large objects out near Eeloo anyway. And at one point Dres was supposed to be a place-holder for an asteroid belt analog in KSP. I think having the asteroids near Kerbin opens up some great gameplay, and I'm glad they decided to go that route to begin with, but I'm sure we'll see more in the future.

This is interesting, indeed. I look forward to seeing what the Kerbalverse looks like after a few asteroids are tracked, get a gravity assist from Kerbin, and then take a self-guided grand tour ....

Yes, if they enter pretty close to Kerbin they will get an gravity assist from it or perhaps Mun this might put them in orbits going close to Eve or even Jool and they might run into them or Kerbin an second time, their orbits might be so out of plane that this is very unlikely.

Notice how transfer stages you drop has some chance enter Mun SOI tend to end up in solar orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.